gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681010 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:17:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191609 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »

What's one of these sleeves with it's 45 worth?

$15-40

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 13, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »

According to the July 2010 issue of Goldmine, a Near Mint Brother 1001 45 is worth around $100 USD. Not sure if there is a price difference between the West Coast (textured) and East Coast (smooth) sleeves or the various pressings.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: March 13, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »

Wait ! So there really was a sleeve back then released that said "Wilson Records" instead of Capitol ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 13, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »

$15 - $40??  Where'd you pull that estimate out of, your butt?  Or Osbornes price guide from the 80's??   Roll Eyes

Mine's mint and worth a lot more than 40 bucks!!  If you're selling one for 40 bucks (even ripped or wrinkled) please PM me now!

And what about my other Heroes & Villains sleeve - Capitol 5826?  How much do you think that's worth now, Bgas?  $40 bucks?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1079 on: March 13, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »

Wait ! So there really was a sleeve back then released that said "Wilson Records" instead of Capitol ?

I was going to say, the sleeve in the pic is worth maybe $5 tops, on account of it not being in any way kosher.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: March 13, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »

Whoops, I came in late, didn't note the "Wilson Records" on the sleeve, read Metal Flake's original sleeve value and assumed Bgas was talking about the "Brother" sleeve.

I think Bgas WAS talking about the original sleeve though, not the booted sleeve.

By the way, there's a Smile boot on "Wilson BB001", and Heroes & Villains Pt. 1 & 2 on "Wilson Records", among others.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 13, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

Mahalo.  Was curious as I have one nearly mint (the Brother Records one).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:03:15 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 13, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »

$15 - $40??  Where'd you pull that estimate out of, your butt?  Or Osbornes price guide from the 80's??   Roll Eyes

Mine's mint and worth a lot more than 40 bucks!!  If you're selling one for 40 bucks (even ripped or wrinkled) please PM me now!

And what about my other Heroes & Villains sleeve - Capitol 5826?  How much do you think that's worth now, Bgas?  $40 bucks?

Sell em and see what ya get. 
The price guides are almost always wrong.
Ya know, there's a LOT of those Capitol Sleeves out there. How many do you think Capitol Manufactured? Almost all of them went to Europe, where they show up frequently. When I bought mine, there wasn't any internet to speak of. Now it's/they're everywhere. 
Is that good or bad? 
But heck, I'm willing to see the light; Someone wants to spend $100 for the Brother sleeve I'd send it to them. 

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 13, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »

http://pitchfork.com/news/41856-the-beach-boys-to-finally-release-ismilei-sessions/

This pitchfork article has been shared/liked via facebook over 3 thousand times in 48 hours.

A record apparently
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:14:27 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:15 AM »

That H&V sleeve is one of the ugliest sleeves ever... I hope they use the one w/the Smile pics....
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2011, 04:00:33 AM »

That H&V sleeve is one of the ugliest sleeves ever... I hope they use the one w/the Smile pics....

...or the '21 One Little Ones', perhaps?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2011, 05:07:34 AM »

I bought H & V when it came out in 1967. It had a plain white sleeve.   I never saw the picture sleeve until I started going to record shows in 1974.  Did anyone here get that sleeve in 1967? Everyone I've talked to that would remember back that far (and we are all east coasters) claims never to have seen one until the 1970's.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »

I bought H & V when it came out in 1967. It had a plain white sleeve.   I never saw the picture sleeve until I started going to record shows in 1974.  Did anyone here get that sleeve in 1967? Everyone I've talked to that would remember back that far (and we are all east coasters) claims never to have seen one until the 1970's.

I had a similar experience on the west coast, but didn't go to record shows or used record stores until '74 either.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 14, 2011, 06:14:53 AM »

Yuk... ;P
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 14, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »

Yuk... ;P

Evil yeah... terrible, isn't it?

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 14, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »

Troublingly stupid blog post on the Guardian website - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/mar/14/beach-boys-smile - in which Caspar Llewellyn Smith guffs that he wishes TSS wasn't being released because

• some things should remain hard to track down (ie he paid for bootlegs)
• the album should remain unfinished (like it is on the bootlegs he paid for)
• no-one wanted BWPS to 'fill the gaps' (ie he prefers lead vocals missings, like on those expensive bootlegs)

Leaving aside the leap of logic that ignores the word 'Sessions' in the title of TSS and assumes this release is going to go spoiling things by finishing the album (something even he seems wobbly about in the piece), this is a batshit piece of grrrnalism.  It would have been quicker (though less remunerative, if he's paid by the word) to write 'WIZZO SMITH HAV BOOTLEGS CHIZ CHIZ'.

I predict many more postings like this.  Even - no, especially - when it's released. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

Troublingly stupid blog post on the Guardian website - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/mar/14/beach-boys-smile - in which Caspar Llewellyn Smith guffs that he wishes TSS wasn't being released because

• no-one wanted BWPS to 'fill the gaps' (ie he prefers lead vocals missings, like on those expensive bootlegs)

Leaving aside the leap of logic that ignores the word 'Sessions' in the title of TSS and assumes this release is going to go spoiling things by finishing the album (something even he seems wobbly about in the piece), this is a batshit piece of grrrnalism.  It would have been quicker (though less remunerative, if he's paid by the word) to write 'WIZZO SMITH HAV BOOTLEGS CHIZ CHIZ'.

I predict many more postings like this.  Even - no, especially - when it's released. 

Thanks for referring - I found it rather funny. As in: bored student is disappointed because his cherished and expensive bootwear will now be for everyone out there, in much better quality. I think he's a frat boy with golf trousers.

SG7
« Reply #1092 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:56 AM »

Pirate

Glad this is coming out now rather than 2067 like Dom predicted   LOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »

Pirate

Glad this is coming out now rather than 2067 like Dom predicted   LOL

You mean on that 'infernal chip'?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 14, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »

I think he's a frat boy with golf trousers.

YES!!   LOL

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 14, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »

Yuk... ;P

I've seen worse.... much worse...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

Woe check out the 6 pack abs on Carl and Alan.  LOL
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »

Yuk... ;P

I've seen worse.... much worse...

The girl looks OK to me. But who are these 5 tossers in the background?

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 14, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »

Unfortunately, I didn't get the H & V sleeve in '67, because I didn't get around to buying the 45 until the following January, I think as a used record.  But, on the west coast, I distinctly recall seeing a stack of H&V singles, all with the picture sleeve, at White Front (a huge chain discount store with a great record department).  As I picked up the record and considered buying it (probably on a few occasions), I recall thinking that the picture sleeve looked rather bizarre and unappealing, and being extremely surprised that the single was on "Brother Records - Manufactured by Capitol Records".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 14, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »

LOL LOL

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx