gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681410 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 07:15:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 192484 times)
Paulos
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »

It will be a very nice release with the deluxe treatment it deserves!

Are you being optimistic or do you know more than the rest of us? Please share!  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

I just hope the official response is to mute Al's comment as "premature; nothing's settled yet"

Well, yeah... they could say that, but I seriously doubt they will.

BTW, I've had a couple of conversations with fans who've gotten themselves tied in knots over the exact meaning of the "Beach Boys version of Smile" comment: simply, what Alan is referring to is the original 1966-67 sessions, as opposed to BWPS. That's all.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:19:22 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »

The website from which Frank Holmes had been selling Smile art prints is down (and has been offline for a few months, I think).  Pure speculation... did Capitol finally buy or license the original cover/booklet art?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »

I think if we boil it all down, we get some seriously suggestive points.

1.) Al and the touring BBs have definitely reached an understanding -- he's playing at the Reagan event.
2.) Brian's hesitation toward a reunion and assorted hooplah was (as many suggested) done to tamp down speculation when his folks were trying to promote BWRG and solo tours. His camp is talking with everyone else.
3.) There seems to be some record company move toward some sort of rarities set.

On their own, these are all interesting pieces of news. I think anything more specific is premature -- Smile would certainly be a coup, but I'm going to believe it when I see it. Likewise, Brian doing more than an appearance or two (if that) with the group would be a surprise.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »

I've heard these rumors every few years since what....1972?  Does anyone think there is anything of substance from SMiLE that's not already on our hard-drives?  A completed master of CITFOTM?  It would seem that Brian utilized just about every scrap he could on BWPS. 

I'd welcome an official release if for no other reason that to put the whole thing to bed.  I'm not gonna crap my pants because it says Capitol on the cd.   Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »

I've heard these rumors every few years since what....1972?  Does anyone think there is anything of substance from SMiLE that's not already on our hard-drives?  A completed master of CITFOTM?  It would seem that Brian utilized just about every scrap he could on BWPS. 

I'd welcome an official release if for no other reason that to put the whole thing to bed.  I'm not gonna crap my pants because it says Capitol on the cd.   Grin

It's definitely a "wait and see" sort of thing. 
One has to wonder if Capitol will make an effort to procure the acetates in the possession of Durrie Parks, Bruce and Al, and others; or whether it will be a case of "this is what we have this is what you get".
 Hopefully they're using someone knowledgable on Smile, such as Alan Boyd, rather than using some in house geek. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »

HOLY CRAP IN MY FACE.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »

Certainly I don't expect a Beach Boys SMiLE set to be anything more than a sessions collection of the material most of us have heard, but it would be nice to have everything in the best available sound quality and in the proper context (extensive liner notes, etc.). What was released on the GV box set, plus what SOT gave us plus nuggets like the edited backing track to "Child Is Father Of The Man" is fine by me.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »

I want to see it happen, but there's no use getting my hopes up just yet.  This summer?  How many times was the Pet Sounds box delayed again?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »

The Beach Boys' version of Smile = Smiley Smile  deluxe edition.     Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »

Certainly I don't expect a Beach Boys SMiLE set to be anything more than a sessions collection of the material most of us have heard, but it would be nice to have everything in the best available sound quality and in the proper context (extensive liner notes, etc.). What was released on the GV box set, plus what SOT gave us plus nuggets like the edited backing track to "Child Is Father Of The Man" is fine by me.

i'd kinda like there to be a 2cd version that anyone who goes to barnes and noble can get if they're curious.  There should be a version sitting in the beach boys section.  i'm sure capitol would have in mind too.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »

That's a pretty big difference in expectations from the earlier poster who would only be satisfied with a release of every bit of recorded material.

Personally, I would think that if they're going to bother doing this at all, they would find everything that's available, and we know there are things out there that most of have not heard.  At very least, there are the Veggies or IIGS sessions with toothbrushing and toilet flushing sounds.  There's whatver is on the Parks acetate, and maybe Mike Love really does have a copy of that fabled 7-minute H&V.  We can hope.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Of course I'm hoping for lots of previously unheard material and better sound qualities than on the bootlegs, but the most important thing is that after 44 years, there will finally be an officially released 'Smile' by The Beach Boys. The 'Smile' tracks on the GV box set and BWPS were of course great, but they didn't close the book. It's time for one of the best unreleased albums in pop music to finally become one of the best albums.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »

Of course I'm hoping for lots of previously unheard material and better sound qualities than on the bootlegs, but the most important thing is that after 44 years, there will finally be an officially released 'Smile' by The Beach Boys. The 'Smile' tracks on the GV box set and BWPS were of course great, but they didn't close the book. It's time for one of the best unreleased albums in pop music to finally become one of the best albums.
Here Here!!! Grin
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Huh

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I have nothing else to say other then I'll take 100000
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

We're sure to sell a million units in...
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »

The website from which Frank Holmes had been selling Smile art prints is down (and has been offline for a few months, I think).  Pure speculation... did Capitol finally buy or license the original cover/booklet art?

I hope that is the case.  Frank's artwork is synonymous with the music of Smile.  It's about time he officially got his due.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »

So what does everybody think? What kinda versions do you think we'll get out of "Heroes And Villains", "Surf's Up", "Wonderful", "Cabin Essence", or "Wind Chimes"? Same as the '93 box set? How will the unfinished tracks be presented? if no new vocals were recorded, I'm really intrigued to see how this plays out. I really hope we get some ultimate version of "Heroes". Incorporating a bunch of different parts. My favorite version as of now is the Smiley Smile version, but I gotta imagine there might be something just as cool still waiting for us. And also, "Surf's Up"....maybe they will do what the Anne Wallace (I think?) mix did with "Surf's Up" and sync the solo piano version to the backing track? Or just use the completed '71 version? Will they just try to put the material into a listenable order? Or follow BWPS? Do they use "I Love To Say Da Da" or "Cool, Cool Water"

My hope is that it gets released in a one-disc format for the average person, showcasing what will be the album entitled SMiLE by The Beach Boys. Then, along with that, have a deluxe edition (for us) that will include alternate takes of stuff like "Heroes'", the "rock with me Henry" version of "Wonderful", "He Gives Speeches", and whatever other cool stuff they find. I'm assuming it might just be a 2-disc thing, if only because Al didn't use the words "box-set". And I'd be Ok with a 2-disc set as long as it give us all the most complete versions of every song from the SMiLE era. I still find this odd if Brian considers this The Beach Boys version of SMiLE, if only because it seems like SMiLE, to him, was the 2004 album.

What's everybody else say?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »

i agree with that there needs to be one for the average music fan.  something where they can go into barnes and noble and see it on the rack.  in the glorious original album cover. 
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »

A one or two-disc version for the casuals and a box set ala The Pet Sounds Sessions for the die-hards would be ideal.  But I think just having nice clean stereo mixes of everything they have the tapes of (Especially "Child Is Father Of The Man") would be enough for me.  The good news is that a lot of the little fragments and "feels" don't run very long, so a 2 or 3 disc set could conceivably contain a lot of material.
PhilCohen
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »

Well, it was known that Mark Linnet had been doing tape research on "Smile" tapes and work on a proposed CD/DVD project of 1972 concert recordings. The music biz is in a state of ruins, and Brother Records may as well wring some money from their most valuable remaining unreleased materials. The most important question is, has Mark Linnet found anything new that we haven't already heard on bootlegs?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »

Note Al's statement that "we didn't do any new recording"  rather than "we aren't going to do any new recording." 

This almost could be interpreted as if Capitol's Smile package is more or less finished.

Now, of course, if it's not supposed to come out until the summer, things could change substantially even if a tentatively finished collection exists at this time.  Still, Al seems to have enough certainty about what it is to be speaking about it in the past tense. 

PhilCohen
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »

I hope they'll also offer a vinyl version. Though I'm not a part of the recent vinyl revival fad(though I've never not owned a turntable since I got my first one in 1966), it would be a thrill to own a "Smile" album cover and booklet, as originally intended & designed.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »

I hope they'll also offer a vinyl version. Though I'm not a part of the recent vinyl revival fad(though I've never not owned a turntable since I got my first one in 1966), it would be a thrill to own a "Smile" album cover and booklet, as originally intended & designed.

This is going to include the original booklets too?  I thought all those got eaten

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »

Note Al's statement that "we didn't do any new recording"  rather than "we aren't going to do any new recording." 

This almost could be interpreted as if Capitol's Smile package is more or less finished.

Now, of course, if it's not supposed to come out until the summer, things could change substantially even if a tentatively finished collection exists at this time.  Still, Al seems to have enough certainty about what it is to be speaking about it in the past tense. 

Very good points. Also, Summer is nearly right around the corner, so, if it were more of an iffy thing I don't think Al would have mentioned such a close date. Ignorance is bliss so for the time being I'm going to believe Al 100% that SMiLE is being released this summer....until then I will cringe at the opening words of "WonderBill" on Endless Harmony..... Undecided

At this point all we can do is speculate, but: is Capitol itself throwing this collection together  or will Brian have any say in structure of the 'album'/set?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx