gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681665 Posts in 27654 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 02:49:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 193414 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »

I'd be thrilled with ONE CD collating the GoodVibrations tracks plus a few others. I don't need to hear endless takes(though I'll buy it).

However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Until I hold it in my hot little hands. BRI does have a tendency to not follow through on their plans.

No, no, no. One CD would be such a missed opportunity. Ideally I want every minute of music and session chatter. I want all my bootlegs to be rendered obsolete. Then, and only then, would I be thrilled. Anything less than that would merely be satisfactory.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »

I'd be thrilled with ONE CD collating the GoodVibrations tracks plus a few others. I don't need to hear endless takes(though I'll buy it).

However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Until I hold it in my hot little hands. BRI does have a tendency to not follow through on their plans.

No, no, no. One CD would be such a missed opportunity. Ideally I want every minute of music and session chatter. I want all my bootlegs to be rendered obsolete. Then, and only then, would I be thrilled. Anything less than that would merely be satisfactory.

To each his own. I was just contemplating the possibility of that set, in an absurdly beautiful packaging, with lots of never heard and seen things to go with it, would be pressed in a limited run of 1,000 copies, and of all the original masters and acetates simultaneously being destroyed.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 06:29:26 AM »

I'll believe it when it's released.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »

I really want to believe this is happening, but my eyes were rolling when Al talked about needing a little more time to finish up the two bonus tracks for the official CD that was supposed to be released years ago. Heck, he's even talking about making changes (during remastering) to a track he has already released via iTunes.

You have to know that BRI/Capitol did not want the SMiLE announcement to come out this way! I just hope the official response is to mute Al's comment as "premature; nothing's settled yet", then the parties involve move forward to compile the best possible SMiLE release imaginable.

As to the history of promising this material before, there was the semi-official announcement in the mid-90s that the PET SOUNDS BOX SET would be followed by a single-disc GOOD VIBRATIONS sessions collection (eventually released five years ago in a very downsized version) and then a two or three disc SMiLE sessions collection.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »

You have to know that BRI/Capitol did not want the SMiLE announcement to come out this way! I just hope the official response is to mute Al's comment as "premature; nothing's settled yet", then the parties involve move forward to compile the best possible SMiLE release imaginable.

I agree. Remember when in 2006 Al announced BBs-reunion shows in London and no one ever heard about that ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »

BTW: will the 2011 Smile be in Duophonic?

Just askin', maaan...

Professor - Would you be so kind as to explain the differences as between "dupohonic" and "binaural" for the "little people?"

There is a "binaural" version of Surfer Girl in the Perfect Harmony collection and I can hear vocals in one ear and orchestration in the other...

Hope this is not a really dumb question...or perhaps one for Socrates or Plato from the days of those acoustically perfect fora? 

Explain it to me as if I were five years old! (svp)   Wink

Thanking you in advance...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 07:19:06 AM »

Just askin', maaan...

Professor - Would you be so kind as to explain the differences as between "dupohonic" and "binaural" for the "little people?"

There is a "binaural" version of Surfer Girl in the Perfect Harmony collection and I can hear vocals in one ear and orchestration in the other...

Hope this is not a really dumb question...or perhaps one for Socrates or Plato from the days of those acoustically perfect fora? 

I don't think that version of "Surfer Girl" is the actual definition of "binaural". "Binaural" is a stereo process in which the separation of the instruments/vocals is done in a way to make it sound like the listener is actually in the room with the musicians. In the case of Pearl Jam's album BINAURAL, this was done by the band performing live in front of a model of a human head with two microphones placed where the ears would be. The stereo separation is not arbitrary when done "binaurally", but the instruments/vocals are placed in the stereo field identical to how the musicans performed in the physical location of the studio. Stephen Desper recorded SUNFLOWER to mimic an actual physical space as well.

"Duophonic", on the other hand, is a crude process which attempts to turn a mono mix into a stereo one but shifting the low frequencies to one channel and the high frequencies to the opposite channel. The result is that the bass may appear to come from the left speaker (or right) while the higher tones such as cymbals or chimes appear to come from the right speaker (or left). It's pretty unpleasant to listen to and the process has not been used in decades.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »

I'll believe it when it's released.

Me too.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

Just askin', maaan...

I don't think that version of "Surfer Girl" is the actual definition of "binaural". "Binaural" is a stereo process in which the separation of the instruments/vocals is done in a way to make it sound like the listener is actually in the room with the musicians. In the case of Pearl Jam's album BINAURAL, this was done by the band performing live in front of a model of a human head with two microphones placed where the ears would be. The stereo separation is not arbitrary when done "binaurally", but the instruments/vocals are placed in the stereo field identical to how the musicans performed in the physical location of the studio. Stephen Desper recorded SUNFLOWER to mimic an actual physical space as well.

"Duophonic", on the other hand, is a crude process which attempts to turn a mono mix into a stereo one but shifting the low frequencies to one channel and the high frequencies to the opposite channel. The result is that the bass may appear to come from the left speaker (or right) while the higher tones such as cymbals or chimes appear to come from the right speaker (or left). It's pretty unpleasant to listen to and the process has not been used in decades.

Thanks, great explanation...

Did Stack-o-Tracks follow the binaural route? 

Was it, (as I have always maintained) the forerunner of karaoke?

By this I mean, using the instruments section and allowing the consumer to substitute his or her own vocals?

Thanks again for that "very well explained" response... Wink
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »

There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »

Just askin', maaan...

Hiya fille –
I think Roger Ryan summed it up pretty well. A few remarks: he (Roger) uses the modern connotation of  ‘binaural’, with that artificial head. In German it is called: ‘Kunstkopfstereofonie’. The Germans did a lot of radio plays that way, which were incredibly realistic, fearsomely so.
However, via Google I discovered that there are numerous things that ‘binaural’ applies to, e.g. subjects of a biophysical nature (particular waves in our brains, in our aural perception, and so on). That led me to the idea that indeed it might have been some marketing hype in the proto-stereo days, where vocals were presented left, and all the rest right. Sounds terrible to me.
‘Duophonic’ works basically as Roger wrote, I think. IMHO there’s also an ever so slight delay between the two channels, that’s meant to add to the faux-stereo experience. It produces an ugly phasing effect, at least that is what I think.
Hope I passed the audition.

astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:16 AM »

How long does it take the record company to gear up for something like this "Smile" release?
Are they working on it now?
Ah ,that Al Jardine,always stirring up hope!

Cook pork throughly
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

How long does it take the record company to gear up for something like this "Smile" release?

Perhaps it was just a joke on Al's part. To brighten up our lives for a month or so.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »

Perhaps it was just a joke on Al's part. To brighten up our lives for a month or so.

Yes, and then if Smile doesn't happen, everyone will funnel their $$ into buying the NEW Edition of Postcards, aka the original TLOS.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »

I don't think Alan's laughing a lot right now.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »

He's always looking down in the mouth isn't he?*

* = dentist humour.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »

Yes, and then if Smile doesn't happen, everyone will funnel their $$ into buying the NEW Edition of Postcards, aka the original TLOS.

LOL very good!

Paulos
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »

I see that a lot of people are quite rightly cautious about Al's announcement regarding SMiLE, but given the recent removal of rarities and SMiLE material from youtube and the surfacing of some rarities such as the YASB rehearsal I feel we have cause to be quite optimistic. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »

I see that a lot of people are quite rightly cautious about Al's announcement regarding SMiLE, but given the recent removal of rarities and SMiLE material from youtube and the surfacing of some rarities such as the YASB rehearsal I feel we have cause to be quite optimistic. 

Bear in mind the YASB rehearsal "surfaced" a year ago -  we only just got to know about it. That said, as I said earlier, any 50th anniversary material trawl won't have begun yesterday.

Cautious optimism! Cautious optimism!

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »

Uh-oh!

Retraction coming soon AGD? Sad
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:50:28 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »

Uh-oh!

Retraction coming soon AGD? Sad

Nope - I just get the impression he's been a little, ah, precipitate ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »

I'll have to look that one up and get back to ya! Grin
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »

OMG! This has to be true!!!

I just prey they don't mess this release up..
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

Like everyone else here, I'm really crossing my fingers that this is for real. Although, if his claims are indeed true one really starts to wonder what's up with Al. He seems to spill the beans whenever possible! Somehow, I imagine a lot of past BB-related surprise-parties bombing because of Al yelling "surprise" just before the unsuspecting person opened the door.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:47:11 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »

It will be a very nice release with the deluxe treatment it deserves!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx