gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681702 Posts in 27656 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer July 01, 2024, 10:41:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 193621 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »

I hope they'll also offer a vinyl version. Though I'm not a part of the recent vinyl revival fad(though I've never not owned a turntable since I got my first one in 1966), it would be a thrill to own a "Smile" album cover and booklet, as originally intended & designed.

This is going to include the original booklets too?  I thought all those got eaten
A handful of the booklets survived, and there are several reproduction editions.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »

I see that a lot of people are quite rightly cautious about Al's announcement regarding SMiLE, but given the recent removal of rarities and SMiLE material from youtube and the surfacing of some rarities such as the YASB rehearsal I feel we have cause to be quite optimistic. 

I didn't know it was that bad till tonight when I searched "Smile - the beach boys" and only Smiley Smile tracks and a few heroes and villains takes came up. All of the SMiLE songs I saved in my favorites have been removed. Everything has disappeared! I'm very optimistic about this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

We're prolly getting the Smile that capitol put together in 88....same mix, everything.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »

We're prolly getting the Smile that capitol put together in 88....same mix, everything.  Grin

as long as it's not the one from 67

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
XY
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »

I'm still searching for words, honestly never thought a(nother) BB SMiLE material release would happen in my lifetime.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »

After the initial jaw-dropping shock....

I guess I fall into the cautiously optimistic crowd here - I certainly hope that these things actually come to fruition, but won't be holding my breath.  As others have said, even if there's nothing "new" for us die-hards, just having good quality mixes would be more than worth the price of admission.  If we get a few things that we've never heard before, all the better, but at this point it's really hard to believe that everything that's there to find hasn't been found already.  Hopefully I'lll be proven wrong on that front!

As for the "reunion" talk, I think Al might be setting people up for disappointment.  I think that a reunion, if it happens, would be much more special as a one shot deal, a massive concert event with a killer setlist.  A worldwide tour seems a bit much to me.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »

I'm trying not to get too excited. But an official Beach Boys Smile? C'mon! That's good news. I hope it is happening and Al isn't just "blowin' smoke".

Someone at Capitol Records must have found that long lost memo. Wink

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:25:52 PM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »

The Beach Boys' version of Smile = Smiley Smile  deluxe edition.     Grin
I'd be cool with that, too. SS is a vital piece of Smile.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »

The Beach Boys' version of Smile = Smiley Smile  deluxe edition.     Grin
Actually, I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe the Smiley Smile album remastered with five or so outtakes/studio session excerpts, and maybe some songs from Hawaii like Gettin' Hungry. Yeah...that would be cool with me.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »

The Beach Boys' version of Smile = Smiley Smile  deluxe edition.     Grin
Actually, I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe the Smiley Smile album remastered with five or so outtakes/studio session excerpts, and maybe some songs from Hawaii like Gettin' Hungry. Yeah...that would be cool with me.  Cool

I agree.
The version of Gettin' Hungry in Hawaii is actually much better than the studio cut & it doesn't have as much of those annoying pauses.
Odd to think that this is the only concert that Gettin' Hungry and Hawthorne Blvd. were ever played at.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »

Hell, I'd be happy with a dvd of the silent Hawaii footage, as is. No sound at all, cuts and tears in the film, dirt spots...it wouldn't bother me one bit.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »

What I find of great interest:

On BW's official website, our AGD posted two messages about the upcoming release of SMiLE, yesterday and today. The inner circle and/or the mods did not take these down.

I think that augurs very well.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:32 AM »

On BW's official website, our AGD posted two messages about the upcoming release of SMiLE, yesterday and today. The inner circle and/or the mods did not take these down.

Our AGD ?  Shocked Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 01:19:17 AM »

Note Al's statement that "we didn't do any new recording"  rather than "we aren't going to do any new recording."  

This almost could be interpreted as if Capitol's Smile package is more or less finished.

Now, of course, if it's not supposed to come out until the summer, things could change substantially even if a tentatively finished collection exists at this time.  Still, Al seems to have enough certainty about what it is to be speaking about it in the past tense.  

Very good points. Also, Summer is nearly right around the corner, so, if it were more of an iffy thing I don't think Al would have mentioned such a close date. Ignorance is bliss so for the time being I'm going to believe Al 100% that SMiLE is being released this summer....until then I will cringe at the opening words of "WonderBill" on Endless Harmony..... Undecided

At this point all we can do is speculate, but: is Capitol itself throwing this collection together  or will Brian have any say in structure of the 'album'/set?

Well, I'm guessing that Brian would have had to OK it - Capitol have always deferred to his wishes over Smile, even though, legally, they owned the tapes. But, that's just as guess, of course.

One further point: yes, we, meaning the likes of us posting here, probably do have a lot of what will be on any such release. But "we" are a very small group, and plenty other folk will not have heard what we have over the last 35-odd years. Example: the 2008 POB sold about 13,000 in the UK alone, and I'm willing to bet there aren't 13,000 hardcore DW fans in the WORLD.  The vast majority of folk will know of Smile, and no serious rock historian or fan would pass up on such a release.  I want to see one, just one, review that says "jesus, it's in bits and it still makes Pepper suck", or something along those lines.

Even if I have to write it myself.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:26:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 01:38:03 AM »

Our AGD ?  Shocked Wink

LOL (affectionate possessive form...)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 02:30:56 AM »

What if Capitol did the exact same format/formula for the Smile Box set as they did with the Pet Sounds set?

First of all, have a definitive track line-up in stereo, then do sessions in chronological order, but only tracking "Highlights" (Whatever that means, I think the whole session would be a highlight) and then the track itself.
Then a disc of stack-o-vocals and alternative takes with some promos stuck in there.
Finally, a disc of the album in mono; just like the PS Boxed Set.   Oh, a replication of the Smile booklet.

Would that satisfy your needs?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 02:39:10 AM »

What if Capitol did the exact same format/formula for the Smile Box set as they did with the Pet Sounds set?

First of all, have a definitive track line-up in stereo, then do sessions in chronological order, but only tracking "Highlights" (Whatever that means, I think the whole session would be a highlight) and then the track itself.
Then a disc of stack-o-vocals and alternative takes with some promos stuck in there.
Finally, a disc of the album in mono; just like the PS Boxed Set.   Oh, a replication of the Smile booklet.

Would that satisfy your needs?

That would be most acceptable, with the caveat that in this instance a definitive track lineup ain't possible. For yucks, maybe they should use the 12/66 handwritten list.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »

Our AGD ?  Shocked Wink

LOL (affectionate possessive form...)

I love being affectionately possessed.   group hug

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 02:57:15 AM »

Every morning I log on to this board praying for such a thread title as this one!! Then I saw the stuff about an Al Jardine release and was ready to chuck my computer through the window ... However, a little patient scrolling payed off: A potential Smile archival release - !!!!!!!

I share the caution expressed elsewhere in the thread, and although it'd be great to daydream of alternate mixes of H&V, the verses to Child, vocals for Look unearthed from Durrie Park's garage, IF this release ever comes to fruition my reckoning is that we already have all the stuff already.

Dont get me wrong: I agree with those that would be over the moon with a nicely packaged, all in one place official release of the stuff we already have (please use the original artwork though!)

At the same time, I'm curious as to the likelihood of unbooted material being sourced for this project. Presumably different mixes of H&V are out there somewhere? Mike must have some of the Smile material still? Durrie Parks' stuff must have been listened to by someone. Wasn't she approached a few years back?

Let's just hope some type of Smile release comes through soon.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »

Perhaps we've been put on the wrong foot. Perhaps it'll be 1 CD, titled: Mike Love Presents The Real Smile. With mr. Love's personal selection and favourite sequence.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2011, 03:17:05 AM »

That would be most acceptable, with the caveat that in this instance a definitive track lineup ain't possible. For yucks, maybe they should use the 12/66 handwritten list.

I think sequencing is the most interesting question a possible official Smile release raises. It really is problematic.

Don't want to get too far out with this, but I do think one of Smile's most beguiling qualities is its formlessness. It's like Lego for rock snobs!!

As soon as you lock it down to some sort of definitive track listing, something will be lost. I think a great idea, to follow AGD's cue, would be to use the handwritten track list. So 1 disc is devoted to the 'album' like the Pet Sounds box. But here's the rub: The handwritten track list is printed on the sleeve but this time we have the message: load disc for correct playing order, or some such 21st century take on the original instruction. Slap it in your computer and all the fragments are there but you have to arrange them yourself a la Project Smile. The irony would be simultaneously wonderful and horrifying I think. Smile evades us once again!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2011, 03:34:50 AM »

I think sequencing is the most interesting question a possible official Smile release raises. It really is problematic.

Yup, it's up there with cold fusion and vacuum energy.

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:05 AM »

So you wouldn't want official BW mixes from 1967? Uh, Ok??  Huh
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

So you wouldn't want official BW mixes from 1967? Uh, Ok??  Huh

No, he wants the remixes as done by Eugene Landy and Alexandra Morgan.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:15 AM »

Perhaps we've been put on the wrong foot. Perhaps it'll be 1 CD, titled: Mike Love Presents The Real Smile. With mr. Love's personal selection and favourite sequence.

And let's not forgot to mention new/additional lyrics done in "Summer Of Love" style.  Razz

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx