gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:11:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Special moment that got you hooked to the Beach Boys music...  (Read 9994 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »

Have posted this before, but not in so much detail...

I'm bi-polar, but wasn't diagnosed as such until a few years ago. Anyway, in 1995 all anybody knew was that I was clinically depressed. Long story short, I saw a shrink who asked me if I was familiar with Brian Wilson. (Now, at the time I hated the Beach Boys. Of course, all I knew about where the oldies played on the radio. For years all i knew of the Beach Boys was 409, Barbara Ann, Help Me Rhonda, and Good Vibrations, the latter of which I liked). I was 16 at the time, and had just had a relationship end badly, and I did not handle it well. So anywho, my therapist suggested I read Brian's autobiography. Not knowing a lot of it was fiction, I immediately took comfort in that I wasn't the only person who felt like he did, and that the world was sorely in need of Love & Mercy. I could relate to the guy.

My whole refuge at the time was music...it was all I had. I generally couldn't get along with people at the time, so I buried myself in my music collection. Used to go to Blockbuster Music and listen to CDs there. I was tempted to try out to listen to the rest of the BB music, but I really didn't care for the oldies I was familiar with, and they were sold out of Pet Sounds. While going through the bargain bin, I found a tape copy of Brian Wilson for 99 cents. I loved it SO much (Walk the Line, Let It Shine, and Rio Grande being my favorites at the time) that I then went back and bought IJWMFTT-both the vhs and CD One day, I was at a Best Buy and I saw Smiley Smile. I thought it was the same album as Smile, and I was ecstatic as it sounded SO COOL to me in the book. By this point I had also read Timothy White's book, so I knew a little more. Anyway, bought the CD , and was blown away. Ended up buying Wild Honey, then Pet Sounds, then Friends, then 20/20 over the next few months. Then I discovered the internet, and, well...here I am.

As far as the specific moments, besides the ones mentioned for BW 88, what really blew me away oddly enough was the bass & water jug sounds in the SS version of Vegetables, also Fall Breaks. Although SS is no longer my favorite BB album (Friends and 20/20 are), it still ranks up there witrh my favorite albums released by anyone anywhere.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

I didn't really know anything about The Beach Boys except that they were some kind of old surf band or something. So when I started reading here and there about how they were one of the greatest bands of all time, I was understandably confused. I looked up a few of their classic songs on YouTube and thought they were alright, if a bit derivative of Chuck Berry. Then I started reading about Smile.

Just the idea of it fascinated me to the core, that this surf rock band created an unreleased epic of an album. So I tracked down Purple Chick's mix, and from the very first moments that I listened to Our Prayer, I was hooked. This was a musical force beyond which I could have even hoped to imagine.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

I'm bi-polar, but wasn't diagnosed as such until a few years ago. Anyway, in 1995 all anybody knew was that I was clinically depressed. Long story short, I saw a shrink who asked me if I was familiar with Brian Wilson. (Now, at the time I hated the Beach Boys. Of course, all I knew about where the oldies played on the radio. For years all i knew of the Beach Boys was 409, Barbara Ann, Help Me Rhonda, and Good Vibrations, the latter of which I liked). I was 16 at the time, and had just had a relationship end badly, and I did not handle it well. So anywho, my therapist suggested I read Brian's autobiography. Not knowing a lot of it was fiction, I immediately took comfort in that I wasn't the only person who felt like he did, and that the world was sorely in need of Love & Mercy. I could relate to the guy.

My whole refuge at the time was music...it was all I had. I generally couldn't get along with people at the time, so I buried myself in my music collection. Used to go to Blockbuster Music and listen to CDs there. I was tempted to try out to listen to the rest of the BB music, but I really didn't care for the oldies I was familiar with, and they were sold out of Pet Sounds. While going through the bargain bin, I found a tape copy of Brian Wilson for 99 cents. I loved it SO much (Walk the Line, Let It Shine, and Rio Grande being my favorites at the time) that I then went back and bought IJWMFTT-both the vhs and CD One day, I was at a Best Buy and I saw Smiley Smile. I thought it was the same album as Smile, and I was ecstatic as it sounded SO COOL to me in the book. By this point I had also read Timothy White's book, so I knew a little more. Anyway, bought the CD , and was blown away. Ended up buying Wild Honey, then Pet Sounds, then Friends, then 20/20 over the next few months. Then I discovered the internet, and, well...here I am.

As far as the specific moments, besides the ones mentioned for BW 88, what really blew me away oddly enough was the bass & water jug sounds in the SS version of Vegetables, also Fall Breaks. Although SS is no longer my favorite BB album (Friends and 20/20 are), it still ranks up there witrh my favorite albums released by anyone anywhere.

What a great story of your using this music for comfort and to "find your way" - many great composers found ways of channeling life events, etc., into wonderful creativity which has come along like a guardian angel to help lighten another's way.  It is wonderful to have music as a positive place to put things that you just have to "work through" in life and everyone hits "speed bumps" in life. 

It is sort of a creative place for a listener, to carve out a passion for an artform that is easy to relate to.  It always "comes from" someplace...in the composer's psyche, and their "gift" provides that "language of transmission" for the lucky listener...And gives us a place to "breathe" when we think we can't.  Reach first, for Pet Sounds...and everything will be alright...

And as for my "coup de foudre" with this artform...I had heard this music for several years and seen the Boys in Disney movies, and on Ed Sullivan as well as other music variety shows.  It was through a "hand-me-down" transistor radio, at 13, through which I first heard "The Little Girl I Once Knew" which was not even a big hit, but, that song just "hooked me" for life...

They have given us such a large "menu" from rock and roll, to pop/folk/psychedelic, to orchestral and symphonic introspective...

We are indeed, blessed... Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »

I liked the Beach Boys from when I was a little kid, my family had an 8-Track of the "Greatest Hits vol. 2" which I'd play all the time. And they'd be on TV, whatever else, playing their hits. I admit to seeing them at a young age and thinking Bruce was Brian more often than not...

Then some time later I saw a classified ad in a really small, local trade paper from the mountains in Pennsylvania where someone was looking for a copy of "Pet Sounds", before the CD reissue had come out. It intrigued me that someone was that interested in a Beach Boys album where they'd pay for a classified ad to get a copy.

Fast forward a bit and a Philly radio station used to do a late night feature where they'd play entire albums. One of those was Pet Sounds, and I had already known "Wouldn't It Be Nice" but when that INTRO, that glorious intro started up over my Walkman radio I was hypnotized and basically sat still listening to the full album. That was it for me, my future...the bicycle noise in the middle of the vocal explosions in You Still Believe In Me brought tears to my eyes. There is hardly any more beautiful and moving music I've heard that compares to Brian when he did Pet Sounds and Smile.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »

My parents had a copy of 20 Golden Greats which they played a lot - the one i remember most being Fun Fun Fun, but I Can Hear Music was (and still is) a big favourite. Then, upon scouring my parents cds for stuff at the impressionable age of 14, found Pet Sounds and asked why they didn't listen to it. My mum said it wasn't because it was bad, just because it was miserable  Grin

Anyway, listened to that and was somewhat hooked. Then saw Beautiful Dreamer on the BBC, bought Smile, saw Brian live, and was set for life. My obsession wrt to things like bootlegs might have come from buying the Pet Sounds box....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »

One thing I've found very interesting about the responses to this thread is the number of relatively recent converts to the wonderful world of The Beach Boys and their music. Surely a sign of the music's enduring qualities ?
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »

Back in 1974 my parents and I went to the Michigan State Fair and saw The Beach Boys. Afterwards, my Dad introduced me to Carl and Dennis. It seemed like my Dad knew then for a long time. Come to find out when my Dad was in San Diego in 1963, he helped promote the band on a radio station. He met Murray, Brian, Dennis, and Carl before the station promoted the local show. Over the years the Wilson family kept in touch with my Dad when he went back to being a DJ over here in Michigan. Dad played for me ENDLESS SUMMER for the first time and I was hooked. He also gave me a history of the band too. Which for a 5 year old kid was pretty cool. The last time we got to see the band was in 1990 something, it was at the Fox theatre in Downtown Detroit. It was nice to see Carl again.  I've passed on the love and appreciation to my 10 year old son who likes them just as much as I do.

Ted

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

It was about 11 years ago that it happened for me.  A friend of mine loaned me his copy of Pet Sounds and I really liked it.  Then he told me about SMiLE.  He soon gave me a copy of one of the tape comps that was circulating back then and it absolutely blew me away.  It was Heroes and Villains that truly did it.  I'll never forget the astonishment I felt when I heard it the first time.  The energy of the verse, the whistles, the abrupt edits, the Cantina section, the laughter...oh my god.  I thought, "Man, this is it!"  And it was.  It still has that effect on me today.  From there I traced my way backwards through their catalog and then later forward to their post-SMiLE material.  They've been my favorite band ever since.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »

One thing I've found very interesting about the responses to this thread is the number of relatively recent converts to the wonderful world of The Beach Boys and their music. Surely a sign of the music's enduring qualities ?

That is a very cool point, that younger people have discovered this "gold mine" and are embarking on unearthing decades of creative work.  But, I am so pleased to be sitting where I am in life, having had the privilege of watching their music grow and become more profound and creative, while I was a teen and college student, and observe what world and social events influenced some of their music in that continuum.  And I get the same feeling from other fans along the way who had that similar experience.  I hope that fans get to see the 1974 Billy Hinsche video (which he made in college in 1974!)  about being "On the Road with the Beach Boys" so they can discover, the effort involved in "bringing the music to the people." 

And, I really have enjoyed "Postcard from California"which has some newly released music, including the insurmountable vocals of Carl Wilson and the other Beach Boys.  It was a bargain for $5.00 US on an Amazon download.   It is a work that you can almost compare to Pet Sounds, in terms of "chill-out" music, while not losing its "rock and roll" edge.  It is almost a contradiction in terms to suggest that a "rock and roll" album could be calming, but it is and I found that it is something that grows on you, fast.  Many of us tend to be "purists" in our BB tastes, looking for the classic stuff, but this is an absolute gem for the vocals and meticulous arrangements.  I think all the BB's are featured. 

And, Rhonda, which was always an "Al Jardine" song" (now with a rockin' hot BB presentation by John Cowsill live) was reworked with harmonicas, sort of sultry/funky/country/rockabilly piano styled and is a blast! It is definitely not "new wine in old bottles." Or "old wine in new bottles."

San Simeon and And I Always Will (with brilliant piano/orchestral work,) alongside Don't Fight the Sea are fabulous.  Almost every song could be worthy of releasing as a single.  It is rare album that could stand up in that way.  You can listen to sample clips to decide.   Wink   

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

I was a little kid, 5 or 6, when i heard Surfin' Safari and Surfin USA on the radio. My sister brought home the Surfin' USA LP in late '63 and that was on the record player in my house constantly. I used to stare at that cover and think those guys were so damn cool, especially Dennis. Then the Beatles happened and we all got distracted by that for awhile. But soon after my grandparents bought us a bunch of new LP's, Beatles, DC5, Animals etc... And in that pile of records was All Summer Long and Beach Boys Concert. This would be late '64 when I'm not even 7 yet, but I remember it like yesterday. As soon as I heard the All Summer Long LP it began a life long love affair with that record. I still think its the quintessential Beach Boys album. Sure, there are some higher artistic achievements. But in the context of '64, that LP was so California. It spoke to us, it reminded us of how golden our life was. It was gorgeous...but in a cool way, and people forget...The Beach Boys were very hip, but in a particular American way. I loved the Beatles and the Stones, and I started bands and emulated them. But the Beach Boys were like the home team. And they were so freakin' good, that music was magic...and never got old. I never lost my love for their music, but I stopped buying or acquiring their new records after BB's Today. For awhile it was Beatles, Beatles, Beatles, Stones, Stones, Stones. I saw Two Lane Blacktop at the drive-in in '73 and yep, Dennis was still cool as all hell. Then in '74 or '75 In a fit of nostalgia and curiosity I bought Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions, Holland and In Concert over a several week stretch. It became obvious that no music by anyone was this good. I got back into them heavily...went and saw them in '75 and in  '76 with Brian(twice). Saw the initial airing of the Its OK TV special while vacationing in Newport Beach! In '77 I heard a preview presentation on the radio of the POB LP after a night of hardcore partying. I was in the right frame of mind...and that record just blew me away. I met Dennis the next year while trying to get my band together in L.A. I got my first Smile bootleg cassette a year or two after that. All of these things contributed to getting me "hooked" on the Beach Boys. I feel so lucky to have had their music as a constant thread through my whole life.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »

I'm with Jon - All Summer Long is the definitive early sixties California lifestyle concept album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »

1. Kinda liked Kokomo--it was organic sounding for 1989.
2. Mid-nineties, hearing oldies at work all the time,  remember thinking about certain songs ' that was actually a pretty good song'(songs in question: Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and God Only Knows.)
3. Used 'Wouldn't It be Nice' in class, after several lessons using it, got to know it and thought 'that's actually a pretty incredible song.'
4. Bought Sounds of Summer--kids liked it so listened to it a lot in the car. Thought: 'There are actuallya  lot of incredible songs on this albums.
5. Found some version of Smile on youtube, was BLOWN AWAY.
6. Bought everything they ever made.
7. Joined Smiley Smile.
8. Spent days googling in attempt to track down unreleased bootleg type stuff.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:24:32 PM by lance » Logged
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Like Jon said, for me it was Beatles Beatles Beatles but my brother had a cassette with the Beach Boys greatest hits on it.  To this day, I am not sure what one it was because there was a lot of stuff taped on it.  I couldn't believe how good it was.  I used to press the headphones so tight to my ears enjoying every second of it. Then I read an interview (I think it was a 1990 Guitar Player issue) with Macca and he was talking about Pet Sounds.

Well, I made a trip to the used record shop.  I went to the B section, found Pet Sounds and Endless Summer on CD used.   Now, buying a CD back then for me was a big deal...you chose carefully because 20 bucks or so seemed like a lot of money for me at the time.  I remember I wanted the White Album so bad and it was 40 bucks or so.  I remember staring at it but would not buy it because "it was so expensive."  So, I used to scour the used record stores for deals.  And that was the only time I found used Beach Boys CDs.  I always after that checked the B section and never again found anything used by the Beach Boys.  So in a way, that find was an incredible starting point into the journey of discovery the Beach Boys.

I remember looking at the cover of Pet Sounds.  Brian stood out.  I remember thinking "this guy is in charge, he knows what he is doing." lol This was before I knew hardly anything about the history of the band.  I also remember thinking Brian looked beautiful.  So groomed.  Immaculate.  That hairstyle and the coat.   So I devoured those CDs, read up on the band and never looked back.  Getting the Good Vibrations box set was a BIG deal.  Also, at the time, Leaf's liner notes were a big help to us new fans. 

Brian and the boys have been in my life ever since!

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

Well the first thing was my parents bought Pet Sounds years before I really listened to it. I always knew of Brian as an eccentric genius, and from an early age loved "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations," but that was it; and I was then and still am someone who loves and appreciates albums. It wasn't until I was 14 almost 15 I got into Pet Sounds over a really terrific summer. It touched me like nothing else and soon I had a VHS of American Band and that was the ticket. Everything else fell into place...and here I am years later still with this love of the music;D

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »

I have always loved the Beach Boys.  My Dad used to play them for me when I was a little kid.  Sometimes he would try to play other bands like CCR, but he said I would start to cry until he put the Beach Boys back on.  Several years ago he let me take records from his collection, so I grabbed the CCR records and some others.  The Beach Boys records were unplayable.  It seems that when I was a little kid if a record skipped, I would just push the needle over.  All The Beach Boys records were scratched up, none of the other ones were.  When I became a teenager I got my first CD, the Today/Summer Days two-fer in 1990.  It was hard to get a CD after that first one that was as good.  I read Brian's autobiography, and collected all the released albums, as well as started going to record shows where boots were available and began buying those too.  I have always been a Beach Boys fan and always will be.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »

I was a little kid, 5 or 6, when i heard Surfin' Safari and Surfin USA on the radio. My sister brought home the Surfin' USA LP in late '63 and that was on the record player in my house constantly. I used to stare at that cover and think those guys were so damn cool, especially Dennis. Then the Beatles happened and we all got distracted by that for awhile. But soon after my grandparents bought us a bunch of new LP's, Beatles, DC5, Animals etc... And in that pile of records was All Summer Long and Beach Boys Concert. This would be late '64 when I'm not even 7 yet, but I remember it like yesterday. As soon as I heard the All Summer Long LP it began a life long love affair with that record. I still think its the quintessential Beach Boys album. Sure, there are some higher artistic achievements. But in the context of '64, that LP was so California. It spoke to us, it reminded us of how golden our life was. It was gorgeous...but in a cool way, and people forget...The Beach Boys were very hip, but in a particular American way. I loved the Beatles and the Stones, and I started bands and emulated them. But the Beach Boys were like the home team. And they were so freakin' good, that music was magic...and never got old. I never lost my love for their music, but I stopped buying or acquiring their new records after BB's Today. For awhile it was Beatles, Beatles, Beatles, Stones, Stones, Stones. I saw Two Lane Blacktop at the drive-in in '73 and yep, Dennis was still cool as all hell. Then in '74 or '75 In a fit of nostalgia and curiosity I bought Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions, Holland and In Concert over a several week stretch. It became obvious that no music by anyone was this good. I got back into them heavily...went and saw them in '75 and in  '76 with Brian(twice). Saw the initial airing of the Its OK TV special while vacationing in Newport Beach! In '77 I heard a preview presentation on the radio of the POB LP after a night of hardcore partying. I was in the right frame of mind...and that record just blew me away. I met Dennis the next year while trying to get my band together in L.A. I got my first Smile bootleg cassette a year or two after that. All of these things contributed to getting me "hooked" on the Beach Boys. I feel so lucky to have had their music as a constant thread through my whole life.

I bloody love this post.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »

I was channel surfing late one night and stumbled on a documentary about Brian Wilson.  What was being said intrigued me, then they showed the Surf's Up performance from Inside Pop.  The song blew my mind.  I'd known about the Beach Boys before, and loved Good Vibrations, but hearing Surf's Up really converted me.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:32 AM »

What a great story of your using this music for comfort and to "find your way" - many great composers found ways of channeling life events, etc., into wonderful creativity which has come along like a guardian angel to help lighten another's way.  It is wonderful to have music as a positive place to put things that you just have to "work through" in life and everyone hits "speed bumps" in life. 

It is sort of a creative place for a listener, to carve out a passion for an artform that is easy to relate to.  It always "comes from" someplace...in the composer's psyche, and their "gift" provides that "language of transmission" for the lucky listener...And gives us a place to "breathe" when we think we can't.  Reach first, for Pet Sounds...and everything will be alright...

And as for my "coup de foudre" with this artform...I had heard this music for several years and seen the Boys in Disney movies, and on Ed Sullivan as well as other music variety shows.  It was through a "hand-me-down" transistor radio, at 13, through which I first heard "The Little Girl I Once Knew" which was not even a big hit, but, that song just "hooked me" for life...

They have given us such a large "menu" from rock and roll, to pop/folk/psychedelic, to orchestral and symphonic introspective...

We are indeed, blessed... Wink
This is what life is all about the beauty of music to transform, comfort, and heal. Thanks to Billy C for sharing his personal life story, If their's anyway that Brian or anyone of the Boys could read this it will make them even prouder making the music we all love.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »

Another special moment happened a few weeks ago, I was watching T.J. Hooker on Sky and it was centred around a Beach Boys Concert and at the end T.J. Hooker and co was at the concert when Carl spoke out saying something along the lines "Our good friend T.J. Hooker is here doing all the good work for LAPD we all like to thank him for keeping our streets safe" Very cheesy but very funny given all the problems the Boys had over the years  Grin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »

My Story is that i got interested in 1950s culture from my US history class and bought American graffiti to learn more. I immediately got hooked on the soundtrack from the movie and realised that what i was told my whole life, that there was no good music really before the Beatles was a huge lie. So i looked up "do you wanna dance" by Bobby Freeman on youtube and found the beach boys version instead. I got hooked on the song and the band immediately and bought a greatest hits collection with from a music store. I got a good sample of the band for a week and wanted to hear more from them album wise. So I went back to the store and found copies of Today! and Sunflower in the bargin bin. I loved both so much i bought the rest of their albums in the months to come.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »

My brother bringing home the "Fun, Fun, Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love" 45 single. While he wore out WDFFIL, I in turn wore out FFF. That was a much cooler song to a fun loving 6 year old. From then on I've been hooked some 47 years later.

The first BB single I actually purchased.  While it was on the top 40.  My dad had a really nice console stereo compared to my little record player.
I would sneak in when he was in a tolerant mood and play the single on that big console.  No record EVER sounded that good.  My ears were opened to that music and harmony and that excellent Capitol sound.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »

I believe it was 1989 or '90 " I Get Around" was on America's Funniest Home Videos and I was immediately hooked by the song as a 9 yr old kid. I asked my parents who did it and they said it was The Beach Boys. I remember buying one of those cassettes Capitol used to put out with a mix of songs. This was For All Seasons and it had a great mix of songs so that was a great introduction. Everything from Darlin to Finders Keepers and of course I Get Around. I also bought a mixed tape that had Surfin USA and that along with I Get Around were my first favorites.  Rented American Band for more background. Got a ton of other cassettes, the Still Crusin CD was new. Once I got into middle school and high school, i Lost touch with them and got into other stuff. Then in 2001, I heard Do It Again  (ironic) on the radio at work and got hooked all over again.  Dug up the In Concert CD and was mesmerized all over again.  When I first started as a kid, Mike and the older songs were my favorite.  In my 2nd wave of fandom, I developed a much deeper appreciation for Carl and Al.
SG7
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »

Hearing Pet Sounds Memorial Day of 2004 on vinyl. Life was never quite the same again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »

Studying Pet Sounds in music class, needless to say I didn't miss a music class that term.

Hearing Brian's final "nooooo" at the end of Caroline No for the first time on the surround sound speakers, I fell in love with the album then and there.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »

My Uncle was a Beach Boys fan but never really got into it after he died young.

Was going through some of his tapes. Found a Beach Boys tape and put it into my 2XL toy robot I got for Christmas back in the 90's (hey, it was my only tape player right in front of me  LOL) Think I was about 16 at the time.

Most of the sons were of the beach variety...but when Heroes and Villains came on that was something. Freaked me out but man...I think that's what got me hooked on SMiLE.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx