gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:28:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Beach Boys Moments Redux  (Read 63881 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »

At the bowling alley tonight, I heard "Hot Fun In The Summertime"...I was so thrown off, in a good way, that I couldn't stop talking about it with my friends, none of whom had ever heard it. In fact, none of them could distinguish the music from the background noise. There must be a name for this phenomenon, when you can hear something familiar, but have trouble hearing something unfamiliar.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2014, 12:49:23 AM »

Familiarity?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »

There was a promo for some show on german TV yesterady and they played Brian's version of "You've got a friend in me" from the fantastic "In the key of Disney" album
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:35:28 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure the boys show up in Get on Up, the new James Brown biopic.
I don't remember if they say it or not, but I'm pretty sure that one of the sections is on the T.A.M.I. show. James walks down a hall backstage, and if you pay attention, he walks past an open doorway, with probably four of five guys in pendletones - one with a guitar - and they're singing/harmonizing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »

There was a promo for some show on german TV yesterady and they played Brian's version of "You've got a friend in me" from the fantastic "In the key of Disney" album

I was zapping through TV last night and by accidence came across the show mentioned above. It looks like they use "You've got a friend in me" as something like the theme song for the show.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »

I don't remember if they say it or not, but I'm pretty sure that one of the sections is on the T.A.M.I. show. James walks down a hall backstage, and if you pay attention, he walks past an open doorway, with probably four of five guys in pendletones - one with a guitar - and they're singing/harmonizing.
There's an entire thread about that. Wink

I was zapping through TV last night and by accidence came across the show mentioned above. It looks like they use "You've got a friend in me" as something like the theme song for the show.
Which show?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »

I posted that before the other thread started.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »

I posted that before the other thread started.
Oh, okay. Sorry. Just thought you might have missed it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »

This has something to do with soccer....

...but: is that Brian in the background?!  Shocked

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »

No sir, it is not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

I remembered there was a thread for this but I forgot what it was called:  a few weeks ago I was at the drive thru at Wendy's and then "Wendy" came on the radio, what a coincidence  Shocked!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »

I was driving to pick up some donuts for my girlfriend (now fiance) last summer in Ocean City, MD, and I heard "Do It Again" on a classic rock station. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »

No sir, it is not.

I was only kidding.  Cheesy  But good to have it confirmed, because it really is reminiscent of him

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »

Look at the posters in Biden's room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD9EAWmGWyg

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2015, 02:18:45 AM »

I remembered there was a thread for this but I forgot what it was called:  a few weeks ago I was at the drive thru at Wendy's and then "Wendy" came on the radio, what a coincidence  Shocked!
I rarely eat at Wendy's, but a friend invited me to have lunch there a few months back on his lunch break from work. Guess what came on when I was pulling up?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »

Yesterday the driver in the car next to me at a traffic light war rocking out to H&V.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »

The other night I had a dream where I heard Strange Things Happen play on the radio, couldn't my brain have chosen a better song?

Well, at least it wasn't Summer of Love...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »

I would like to hear Strange Things Happen. Do you know that it's the best song on SIP? Classic Beach Boys (note I didn't say BBs classic).
Thank your brain.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »

I would like to hear Strange Things Happen. Do you know that it's the best song on SIP? Classic Beach Boys (note I didn't say BBs classic).
Thank your brain.

Yup, I do actually have some type of fondness for it, it's the only song from that album on my phone! But still, my brain could've at least played Surf's Up or something...

Actually, I had another dream last night where I heard God Only Knows over the loudspeaker at the grocery store. Why can't I hear more Beach Boys songs out in public rather than in my head?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »

I recounted a couple of Brian Wilson dreams on another thread. Here they are, briefly.

1. I, alone, get to watch current-day Brian and Paul McCartney busking on the Sgt. Pepper title track in a room of a bookstore.
2. For a last-minute university project, I try to get Brian to tell me what makes George Gershwin unique.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:21 AM »

So I'm reading Marvel Comics Hawkeye (2012) #16 this morning, by Annie Wu and Matt Fraction. The story is about Lady Hawkeye trying to make her way in L.A., and the cover of the comic book features an old school studio session tracking sheet. The story inside is about a very fictionalized rock and roll pioneer named "Will Bryson" and his abandoned "Wish" album, and he has since descended into madness/genius (cue plot about manipulation by his brother, NOTHING to do with Beach Boys feuding). There are a lot changes from BW, but it was a really neat thing to stumble across in a comic book run I've been enjoying. And it was a good story.

I think this belongs here? Lady Hawkeye sings the opening lyrics of "Wouldn't it be Nice" at one point.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »

So I'm reading Marvel Comics Hawkeye (2012) #16 this morning, by Annie Wu and Matt Fraction. The story is about Lady Hawkeye trying to make her way in L.A., and the cover of the comic book features an old school studio session tracking sheet. The story inside is about a very fictionalized rock and roll pioneer named "Will Bryson" and his abandoned "Wish" album, and he has since descended into madness/genius (cue plot about manipulation by his brother, NOTHING to do with Beach Boys feuding). There are a lot changes from BW, but it was a really neat thing to stumble across in a comic book run I've been enjoying. And it was a good story.

I think this belongs here? Lady Hawkeye sings the opening lyrics of "Wouldn't it be Nice" at one point.
The 1970's idea of the Brian Wilson story has become a cultural archetype.
Thanks for sharing. I'm not a comic book reader, but maybe I'll try to get my hands on a copy of that issue.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2015, 07:41:08 AM »

On the day I got my tickets to Brian's show in Biloxi (4 December), I heard "Good Timin'" on an oldies radio station.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »

Will Bryson?  Isn't that Lee Dempsey? Or Alan Boyd? Or Hank Briarstem? 

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2015, 11:27:41 AM »

Just saw a recent Simpsons Christmas episode and they had "Merry Christmas, baby" played prominently.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx