gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:48:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Beach Boys Moments Redux  (Read 63945 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »

So long as this is a story-telling thread, I might as well tell my story with Beach Boys bootlegs:

From 2008 to 2010, I ran a channel on YouTube called SMiLEReconstruction, in which I uploaded various fanmixes of Smile track-by-track for other people to hear. At the time, there really wasn't a lot of Smile material to be found on YouTube, so I made the channel as a public service to other enthusiasts like me.

Anyway, on Christmas of last year (right when rumors were starting to circulate that Smile was going to be officially released), my channel got shut down. But right around that time, something interesting happened: I was contacted by a fellow who had just leaked two rare Beach Boys films from French archives, and he gave them to me for me to upload to YouTube.

So, on Christmas Day, right after my Smile channel had been shut down, I uploaded those videos to YouTube and linked to them here as a Christmas gift for this forum. Serendipity's a weird thing, ain't it?

But that's not even the end of it; after I'd uploaded those videos, I got contacted by another bootlegger who wanted to trade some of his stuff in exchange for the raw files of my videos. I ended up getting about 5 different bootlegs in total from that exchange.

So that's my Beach Boys story. Any questions?
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »

I mentioned this in another topic a long time ago, but one of the paragraphs on the grammar section on my PSAT was about SMiLE. I was probably the only person there who knew what it was talking about.

A broken man too tough to cry
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:01 AM »

I'm watching a Goofy movie (he has to go back to college where his son just starts). And when meeting a girl who also was young in the "70s" he puts out a shell and mentions that Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys stepped on that shelf. The girl says she was part of the party crowd on "Barbara Ann" and that she likes that "70s"-stuff

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »

I've never had a story for these 'Random' threads...until today!

True story.

I'm in the supermarket, the toilet paper section, when on comes 'Kokomo'. LOL

I kid you not!!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »

True story.

I kid you not!!!

Kokomo would be a good brand name for toilet rolls,

"Kokomo........Get there fast and take it slow"
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2013, 05:23:38 AM »

When I tell coworkers my favourite band is the Beach Boys they usually look at me as if I've just dropped my pants or asked them the square root of something.

That depends on the generation of your co-workers.

Back-in-the-day, there was no forum to discuss the music.  Having such a forum is a beautiful thing. 

Square root! I forgot what that is!  LOL

Just kidding!  Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 08:20:36 AM »

True story.

I kid you not!!!

Kokomo would be a good brand name for toilet rolls,

"Kokomo........Get there fast and take it slow"

LOL LOL LOL Grin Fantasic!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »

I heard God Only Knows in Walmart of all places, and it was as if time slowed down. I was looking around, and found several other people singing along. It was beautiful.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »

Haha i would  never go to charleston, WV for spring break.  Seeing all those copies of pet sounds made me think If i was a multi-millionaire i would buy as many pet sounds copies as possible, and hand out the copies of the album to as many people as possible to spread the music of such a masterpiece.

I go to Charleston WV on Holiday several times a year.  They have wonderful blues and other music festivals and the Mayor is a car guy who supports and backs world class car shows along Kanawah Blvd.  Actually a very nice ambience and a pleasant place to spend a weekend.  Charleston is a short drive from the world famous New River Gorge where folks from all over the world come to enjoy white water rafting and base jumping from the New River Gorge Bridge. 
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

Saw a guy wearing a Pet Soudns t-shirt after a McCartney concert 2 weeks ago  Grin I went there and talked to him a little bit, saying how rare it was to see a fan, etc.

Also, it's very cool when Good Vibrations comes up on a very weird part of Vanilla Sky, that is itself a very weird movie. I found it awesome because it highlighted the weirdness in the song that is often forgotten due the lyrics.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

Funny this thread popped up, I was considering starting one like it.  The other day I was being dragged through the mall by my wife and we passed one of those Curves workout centers.  They have a big curtain up so you can't see the people working out, but I could hear the music they were playing loud and clear, and no joke, they were playing the Beach Boys version of Wipe Out with the Fat Boys.  I stopped in my tracks, and listened for a few seconds to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me.  Sure enough, it was Wipe Out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »

The seats were,in fact, down front but so far over to the left that you couldn't see anything. Things were even more complicated when a local drunk who had been sitting in Al's lousy seats began to act up. Al ended up packing up latest wife and 2 little Al's and went off to find a better seat. He complained to the ushers as well using the "I'm Al Jardine of the BB's" line. I must admit the seats blew and the drunk was an ass. Grin

In a way, it's kind of good to see that he used that line. Jardine seems so utterly and completely unaffected by the enormous fame he has had, it is startling. It's quite impressive how down-to-earth he is. You have to wonder how he processed some of the craziness that surrounded him.
You're right, Al's indeed a very kind & modest celebrity. I surely cannot imagine him saying that ego-phrase. Many other so-called stars often use it towards people/journalists/administrators, e.g. "I'm famous John Lennon, four-eyed Beatle", "I'm Bob Dylan, full stop" or "I'm Madonna who sings". And yada yada. But anyway, jimmy's story is an exception of rule, so it's understandable why Al addressed like that.

One more thing I'm gonna say is I'm very envious of those who had The BBs dreams, like Jay's one where he heard completed 1967' Smile. I only had dreams with total strangers (or horror monsters, creatures) & unknown b/g music which when I recalled & played note-for-note, it was all garbage.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

Heard the single mix of "Rock And Roll Music" at Friendly's today. I am 9000% positive it was the single mix. I was like WHAT THE FUCK

Also wanted to add that I didn't eat anything at Friendly's, was just there with others. I don't want folks to get the wrong impression about me ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

Went to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park last night (my misfortune to see them face Cliff Lee).

One of the pregame songs on the PA was Sail on Sailor. I wonder how many people heard it and wondered who sang it.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »

Yesterday as I was waiting for my Kettlebell class to fill up at one of my corporate sites, I noticed a guy wearing an old Beach Boys shirt on the cable cross. He was probably in his late 20s and the shirt looked very old. I was basically staring at the back of his shirt trying to see if I could figure out what year it was from. Before I could solve the mystery I noticed one of the other trainers looking at me, totally thinking I was checking this guy out. I didn't think I would be able to explain, since basically no one knows about my BB obsession, so I went in to teach my class.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »

Heard the single mix of "Rock And Roll Music" at Friendly's today. I am 9000% positive it was the single mix. I was like WHAT THE FUCK

Also wanted to add that I didn't eat anything at Friendly's, was just there with others. I don't want folks to get the wrong impression about me ;(

Friendly's is delicious, I am highly offended you DIDN'T eat a scrumptious supermelt there. I've never heard any Beach Boys there, that I can recall, except the time Al Jardine was in the booth next to me drowning his sorrows in hot fudge.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:22 AM »

Kettleball? Friendly's?

I just don't get these american references........

I'm off for a game of cricket and a nice meal at McDonalds, two very English things!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »

Kettleball? Friendly's?

I just don't get these american references........

USA! USA!

I had no idea Friendly's still existed. The Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music is the perfect soundtrack, from my Friendly's experiences, actually.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »

In 1998 I was in Guayaquil, Ecuador on business, and homesick.  During breakfast buffet in the Guayaquil Hilton, I heard "Your Imagination" on the piped-in music and it felt like a little gift from the universe to lift my spirits.  I heard it again later that year in a shop in Calgary, Alberta.  Never in the U.S. did I happen upon any song from that album...maybe it's true that Americans don't appreciate the Beach Boys as much as foreigners!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »

Great story, Les P! From what I've read, it seems like the most loyal BBs fans are German, British & Japanese residents.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:28 PM »

Great story, Les P! From what I've read, it seems like the most loyal BBs fans are German, British & Japanese residents.

No doubt that's the reason BW premieres his new work in Europe.  Whereas it seems to me that Americans are bigger Beatles fans than the English, so maybe it's a little about the mystique of being from somewhere else.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »

I'm just watching a german crime thriller and in quite a dark moment someone played a CD in a car and out comes "Wouldn't it be nice".

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »

So I'm watching ABC Nightline right now, and I'm about 25-30 minutes behind (rewound the DVR earlier to catch the end of Jimmy Kimmel), and there's a story about this woman who hired somebody to kill her husband.  I missed the beginning, but apparently there is a hidden camera, and the guy she was going to hire to kill her husband was an undercover cop. Now, why am I posting this here? Well, the radio is on in the background, and right at the part she is telling the guy how she wants the hit put out...well...the organ break in California Girls is playing. LOL

Besides this one...what is the oddest place you've heard Beach Boys music? I mean in real life, obviously, as otherwise I'd say hearing Good Vibrations in a fight scene in the hideous film Vanilla Sky.  Roll Eyes  I have a second contender, as I heard Brian Wilson's We Wish You a Merry Christmas at work today via the company radio. Yes...today...in July. I actually about lost my sh*t. I captured it on video, though... Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »

eh...You are the mod and you can do what you like around here, but whats the difference between this thread and the 'random' thread you also started?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9802.0.html

(posted while hiding behind a table!)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »

I once heard Funky Pretty in a supermarket.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx