gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:23:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Snow Queen (Score)  (Read 2960 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »

Hey everyone!
Thought i might share this with you - the score for the play I've just finished doing over the holidays. It's the first project I've done of this nature, so i'm curious to know what you think!
http://www.mediafire.com/?7jpnjsevd3oixp8

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »

Like a school play?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »

Somewhat - some friends of mine from Uni put it on back home. I just jumped at the opportunity to do something different with music!

BTW, listened to the first half of your double record today - Nice stuff!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

I listened to this while cooking dinner. I really liked parts of it, especially the introductory piece. The things I liked least were your plays and variations on other composers' work, actually. Your original sections--especially the more orchestral-instrument based ones, such as Prologue, Snow Queen, et al.--are my favorites.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:30:18 AM »

Thank you! The takes on Grieg and Tchaikofksy were my directors idea. I'm glad you like the more orchestral parts, as I'm kinda novice in composing those sorts of interlocking parts. Brian has been schooling me somewhat in that!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »

Have you studied music theory formally at all, such as basic counterpoint and then some arranging? If you want to grow with orchestral music, I would advise a little reading up in that area. Not to say it is gospel--in fact, in some ways it is outdated entirely--but it is a nice foundation, in my opinion. More colors for the palette, if you will.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »

I haven't, but i mean to. When i get back to my uni library, i shall investigate some of the slightly scary looking books on it they have there. It's all degree level stuff though, so it's a bit off putting :/

Have you ever done anything like this, Luther? It was a really odd experience - lots of editing and chopping bits out on the fly, esp. the snow queen scenes and the Summer Garden stuff. Not helped by the fact i had lost my laptop with the raw files to that latter scene on it a month before production......  Cry

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

I have studied classical and jazz music formally, and have written music for formal ensembles. But as for writing and assembling on a computer for eventual performance, nope. Never. Just old-fashioned paper.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

it was bizarre. Especially since my company knew little about where stuff like the guitar freakery of The Snow Queen scenes came from - Very much a Spiritualized sort of sound, and yet they just lapped it up.

everyone has discovered i can do music, though, which may be a bad thing. 7 people have come up to me and asked if i can do music for them now... no rest for the wicked?  Shocked

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:14:44 AM »

Get paid.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx