gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:27:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on Carl and the Passions, Holland and the Light Album  (Read 16378 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

Don't want to derail this thread, but now that I think about it, how much is Al on L.A.?  We have him for sure on "Good Timin'", "Here Comes The Night," "Lady Lynda" and now "Shortnin' Bread," but just off the top of my head I can't think of any other song where I can positively say we have any other vocals that aren't Carl, Bruce, and occasionally Dennis (and Brian somewhere on "Angel Come Home", and supposedly G. Cushing-Murray on the unison part of "Full Sail").  And Bobby F. supposedly sings on that album as well...do we know where he is?

It's funny because L.A. is one of my favorite BBs albums vocally, one of the records that really got me into them, and I've learned over the years that most of the parts I liked are just Carl and Bruce multitracked!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »

Don't want to derail this thread, but now that I think about it, how much is Al on L.A.?  We have him for sure on "Good Timin'", "Here Comes The Night," "Lady Lynda" and now "Shortnin' Bread," but just off the top of my head I can't think of any other song where I can positively say we have any other vocals that aren't Carl, Bruce, and occasionally Dennis (and Brian somewhere on "Angel Come Home", and supposedly G. Cushing-Murray on the unison part of "Full Sail").  And Bobby F. supposedly sings on that album as well...do we know where he is?

It's funny because L.A. is one of my favorite BBs albums vocally, one of the records that really got me into them, and I've learned over the years that most of the parts I liked are just Carl and Bruce multitracked!

Bobby F. once said in an interview (in BBFUN, 1981) that he sang on quite a bit of the Light Album, doing background parts with Carl.  When I recently asked him though, he just said he's on "Good Timin'".  As for Al...I would think he's possibly on the bridge or ending part of "Baby Blue", since those parts were recorded in Miami (August) and L.A. (once they'd returned from Miamil) respectively.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »

This just in - on "He Come Down", Brian wrote most of it, arranged it, took the top vocal line and played piano & organ.  Film at eleven.

I was wondering about that song. Whenever people talk about what Brian wrote in the early '70's, things like "Mess of Help" and "Marcella" get mentioned, but never "He Come Down". Was he the main songwriter on the track? Like most of the music? Or what parts? Honestly, whenever I think of Brian on Carl and the Passions, I usually don't take this song into account.

Anyways hope to hear some more info on this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:32:10 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »

Film at eleven.

Hey, you poser! That's my line!   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »

This just in - on "He Come Down", Brian wrote most of it, arranged it, took the top vocal line and played piano & organ.  Film at eleven.

I was wondering about that song. Whenever people talk about what Brian wrote in the early '70's, things like "Mess of Help" and "Marcella" get mentioned, but never "He Come Down". Was he the main songwriter on the track? Like most of the music? Or what parts? Honestly, whenever I think of Brian onCarl and the Passions, I usually don't take this song into account.

Anyways hope to hear some more info on this.

One of Elton John's alltime favorite songs on one of his favorite BBs albums.  No lie.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:04 PM »

This just in - on "He Come Down", Brian wrote most of it, arranged it, took the top vocal line and played piano & organ.  Film at eleven.

Plus the low part after the final Yes I Believe it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »

Listen to the organ on "He Come Down". That's so Brian, there's no doubt about it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »

Listen to the organ on "He Come Down". That's so Brian, there's no doubt about it.

But but Brian's a piano man.  Organs scare him. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »

Bobby F. once said in an interview (in BBFUN, 1981) that he sang on quite a bit of the Light Album, doing background parts with Carl.  When I recently asked him though, he just said he's on "Good Timin'".  As for Al...I would think he's possibly on the bridge or ending part of "Baby Blue", since those parts were recorded in Miami (August) and L.A. (once they'd returned from Miamil) respectively.

I'm pretty sure he's not on the tag to "Baby Blue," because Alan isolated those tracks for us to learn for LONG PROMISED ROAD and they were pretty clearly Bruce and Carl overdubbed to my ear.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

I'm guessing that's a joke, given Brian once had an organ imported to Hawaii to play because it made him feel comfortable!
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »

Any ideas who is doing the woo-ha-haa's in 'Baby Blue'?  Starting at 1:44.   Always sounded very Brian'ish to these (possibly deluded) ears....

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

I'm guessing that's a joke, given Brian once had an organ imported to Hawaii to play because it made him feel comfortable!

probably a timing thing, then. Brian, in Contemporary Keyboard mag, July 1977: 
Which keyboards do you prefer playing now?  BW: I prefer piano. "I get a little fearful of the organ--it's a very haunting, frightening instrument"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »

Any ideas who is doing the woo-ha-haa's in 'Baby Blue'?  Starting at 1:44.   Always sounded very Brian'ish to these (possibly deluded) ears....

Sounds very Brian, indeed. I guess it's Bruce though. Sounds exactly like his  VERY high voice at the end of "Endless harmony"

Re: He came down
I always thought it was Carl who wrote it. So, it was Brian. Cool. Great song with very good gospel-piano. In fact I thought it might've been Blondie or Ricky because I neevr heard any gospel-piano by Brian or any other Beach Boy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

Sounds very Brian, indeed. I guess it's Bruce though. Sounds exactly like his  VERY high voice at the end of "Endless harmony"

I always thought it was Carl who wrote it. So, it was Brian. Cool. Great song with very good gospel-piano. In fact I thought it might've been Blondie or Ricky because I neevr heard any gospel-piano by Brian or any other Beach Boy

How 'bout Brian's gospel-piano on "That Same Song" a few years later?  Perhaps not AS gospely as "He Come Down", but gospel still.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

Carl.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »

Don't want to derail this thread, but now that I think about it, how much is Al on L.A.?  We have him for sure on "Good Timin'", "Here Comes The Night," "Lady Lynda" and now "Shortnin' Bread," but just off the top of my head I can't think of any other song where I can positively say we have any other vocals that aren't Carl, Bruce, and occasionally Dennis (and Brian somewhere on "Angel Come Home", and supposedly G. Cushing-Murray on the unison part of "Full Sail").  And Bobby F. supposedly sings on that album as well...do we know where he is?

Bobby F. once said in an interview (in BBFUN, 1981) that he sang on quite a bit of the Light Album, doing background parts with Carl.  When I recently asked him though, he just said he's on "Good Timin'".  As for Al...I would think he's possibly on the bridge or ending part of "Baby Blue", since those parts were recorded in Miami (August) and L.A. (once they'd returned from Miamil) respectively.

I'm pretty sure he's not on the tag to "Baby Blue," because Alan isolated those tracks for us to learn for LONG PROMISED ROAD and they were pretty clearly Bruce and Carl overdubbed to my ear.

Maybe the bridge then.  Or maybe not at all.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »

probably a timing thing, then. Brian, in Contemporary Keyboard mag, July 1977: 
Which keyboards do you prefer playing now?  BW: I prefer piano. "I get a little fearful of the organ--it's a very haunting, frightening instrument"

Must've been a temporary fear...Brian, to Westwood One Radio, June 1985:  "I love organ, Oh I love an organ, organs are great...it has a Leslie speaker, this thing spins round and goes Pssshooo...and the sound goes Whoooooooooooooooooooooo, that's what makes the organ sound like that, a waver...it spins the sound around.  I love experimenting on organs, they're great."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »

Any ideas who is doing the woo-ha-haa's in 'Baby Blue'?  Starting at 1:44.   Always sounded very Brian'ish to these (possibly deluded) ears....

Sounds very Brian, indeed. I guess it's Bruce though. Sounds exactly like his  VERY high voice at the end of "Endless harmony"

It is neither...as C-Man already said, it's Carl.  I know this because I, too, thought it was Brian.  Alan Boyd helpfully isolated the track for me one day to demonstrate I had no clue what I was talking about.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:55:08 PM by adamghost » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 02:19:37 AM »

Any ideas who is doing the woo-ha-haa's in 'Baby Blue'?  Starting at 1:44.   Always sounded very Brian'ish to these (possibly deluded) ears....

From the first time I heard it back in 1979, that's always been Carl to my ears.  Certainly not Brian as his upper range back then wasn't anything like that smooth.

Note to self: next time, read entire thread before pontificating - it helps stop you looking like an ass.  Ahhh!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:22:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:37 AM »

Alan Boyd helpfully isolated the track for me one day to demonstrate I had no clue what I was talking about.

Yeah, he can be really annoying like that.  Grin

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:03 AM »

I'm going ask Nelson when I see him Saturday whether Brian is scared of organ this week or not.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »

I'm going ask Nelson when I see him Saturday whether Brian is scared of organ this week or not.

Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »

How 'bout Brian's gospel-piano on "That Same Song" a few years later?  Perhaps not AS gospely as "He Come Down", but gospel still.

Not as impressive as HCD. But I like this guy's playing :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFeMd3HRtTg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »

From the first time I heard it back in 1979, that's always been Carl to my ears.  Certainly not Brian as his upper range back then wasn't anything like that smooth.

Note to self: next time, read entire thread before pontificating - it helps stop you looking like an ass.  Ahhh!

Thanks guys.  To me it always sounded a bit 'shrill' to be Carl - but I guess Mr Boyd's evidence is the clincher here.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 06:37:45 AM »

Thanks guys.  To me it always sounded a bit 'shrill' to be Carl - but I guess Mr Boyd's evidence is the clincher here.

For the 50th anniversary we need to get a stack-o-vocals album along with a Blondie/Ricky concert

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx