-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll
Poll
Question: Which statements concerning the Sandbox do you agree with?
The Sandbox should not exist. - 4 (6.7%)
Discussions about sexual, political or religious matters should not be allowed in the Sandbox. - 5 (8.3%)
People who otherwise contribute to the message board, but who have per the administrator have earned a ban of some length, should not be banned. - 7 (11.7%)
The Sandbox should not have its own theme. - 9 (15%)
Messages, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 16 (26.7%)
Threads, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 19 (31.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll  (Read 59227 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »

Very insightful, H&V.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Maybelline
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2006, 01:16:45 PM »

I know. I can't believe I typed that  :D :D :D

(in reference to the Knutz post)

Uhhhhhhh, Maybelline? You're being paged.

Jason, I'm being a bit thick today. Whaaddya mean?  Undecided
Jason
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »

Jason, I'm being a bit thick today. Whaaddya mean?  Undecided

I was joking. Of course it would be some really powerful voodoo if you actually did get paged.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »

I see conversation about sexual, political, or religious matters as quite different from actively mocking people with disabilities.  The former is legitimate discourse that has the potential to offend some if not done in a respectful way.  I see the latter as being akin to disparaging people based on race, color, nationality, or sexual orientation.  Obviously not everyone agrees with me, as certain people are still trying to be "cute" on this thread. 

Everyone can say what they want.  I will simply choose to ignore the assholes (which I'm sure is no great loss to them anyway.) 

Joel

PS: A sincere thank you to Ian, Jason, and Maybelline, who all understood what I was trying to say the other day, and took a lot of sh*t from the ignorant because of it.  Thanks again!

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »

BTW, while I certainly don't try to make everyone happy (I think we can all agree on that), I believe when Ian is back, you'll find that those who desire his presence will be satisfied, while at the same time, Ian's pleadings concerning the fate of the Sandbox will also be answered.  I believe in the end it will be the closest thing to a win win situation for everyone concerned.

Jason
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »

PS: A sincere thank you to Ian, Jason, and Maybelline, who all understood what I was trying to say the other day, and took a lot of merda from the ignorant because of it.  Thanks again!

I got news for you, the ignorant are posting in this thread. Not to give out names, however. You should know who you are.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »

How would the ignorant, by definition, know who they are?

Jason
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »

If they can lay claim to having a conscience and basic morals, then they would know.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

NOICE!
Maybelline
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »

Re. the subject of this thread - and sorry if this seems trite.. but I've never really liked the way that swear words are censored. Why is that the case? If they must, can't we have some recognisable words, such as 'sheep' - e.g. I am sheeping mad.
Thanks for listening.
Jason
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »

I thought merda came from the French "merde", I think it is.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »

Re. the subject of this thread - and sorry if this seems trite.. but I've never really liked the way that swear words are censored. Why is that the case? If they must, can't we have some recognisable words, such as 'sheep' - e.g. I am sheeping mad.
Thanks for listening.

I'm open to any further suggestions concerning foul language.  I chose Portugese as a means of not posting the foul language in English, but at the same time not changing the meaning of the post. 

Personally, I find the gutter language to be completely unnecessary.  Just another roadblock to meaningful conversations.  And not something I care to see on a board I'm running.  Perhaps just [expletive deleted] would be preferable.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:32:00 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

Maybelline
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2006, 01:35:24 PM »

OK fair point. Has Chris also been banned now - because he is appearing as 'guest'?  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:37:49 PM by Maybelline » Logged
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

It took me a while to realize that the board was automatically editing the swearing out of the posts.  It confused me, because I didn't know what "Merda" and "Foda" were supposed to mean.  I actually swear more now, knowing the board will clean it up for me.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2006, 01:41:13 PM »

Looks to me like Chris D. either de-registered or was banned. I'm guessing the former -- because Ian, while banned, shows up as "Ian" still.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2006, 01:41:34 PM »

BTW, while I certainly don't try to make everyone happy (I think we can all agree on that), I believe when Ian is back, you'll find that those who desire his presence will be satisfied, while at the same time, Ian's pleadings concerning the fate of the Sandbox will also be answered.  I believe in the end it will be the closest thing to a win win situation for everyone concerned.

Just to be clear - does that mean that the Sandbox is on its way out...?
Maybelline
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »

Roll Eyes
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »

rinse your feet off
Maybelline
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2006, 01:46:09 PM »

Just to be clear - does that mean that the Sandbox is on its way out...?

Well people are jumping ship (or should that be 'jumping box') which is really sad  Cry
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2006, 01:49:46 PM »

Not to mention unnecessary.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Maybelline
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »

Chris has gone, he deleted his account.  Sad Sad
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2006, 01:53:13 PM »

I think it's interesting sociologically how boards that are set-up to be topical, in this case it's a Beach Boys board, but add "off topic" sections end up developing a culture of people that basically end up only posting on the off-topic board...or at least care about it more, and become quite rabid about defending the existence of the off-topic board.

I've experienced this on more than one website, concerning more than just the Beach Boys community too.

Personally, I don't care either way.  I don't read this board much, and can't really relate to the prevailing culture, so I would be fine if it went away.  I certainly don't need relief from Beach Boys discussion, as I feel like I don't get enough Beach Boys discussion.

I guess Chuck, you can decide if you want to have a hardcore Beach Boys board, or have the Beach Boys section as a companion to the non-smiley section...  I think that ultimately the Beach Boys area would get less traffic and even less discussion if the Sandbox went away.  Which would suck because then I'd have absolutely nothing to do.  While I love the idea of an intense Beach Boys board discussing only intricate hardcore details, I don't think such a thing can exist without the "milk-at-the-back-of-the-store" lure.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »

I've experienced this on more than one website, concerning more than just the Beach Boys community too.

I've seen this too. People lose interest for the band and/or discussion of the band but become attatched to the other members and so do not leave.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Maybelline
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2006, 02:00:16 PM »

I think it's interesting sociologically how boards that are set-up to be topical, in this case it's a Beach Boys board, but add "off topic" sections end up developing a culture of people that basically end up only posting on the off-topic board...or at least care about it more, and become quite rabid about defending the existence of the off-topic board.

Personally, I don't care either way.  I don't read this board much, and can't really relate to the prevailing culture, so I would be fine if it went away.  I certainly don't need relief from Beach Boys discussion, as I feel like I don't get enough Beach Boys discussion.

I guess Chuck, you can decide if you want to have a hardcore Beach Boys board, or have the Beach Boys section as a companion to the non-smiley section...  I think that ultimately the Beach Boys area would get less traffic and even less discussion if the Sandbox went away.  Which would suck because then I'd have absolutely nothing to do.  While I love the idea of an intense Beach Boys board discussing only intricate hardcore details, I don't think such a thing can exist without the "milk-at-the-back-of-the-store" lure.

People have made friends here. I know I have, and although I rarely post 'On Topic' (I don't posess even a smidgen of knowledge compared to the super-fans there) I feel part of the 'gang', whatever that means. It's fun, it's lighthearted - or should be. I love the fact that we all have one major thing in common (a love for BB/BW) and then come to discover that we have a whole lot more in common - through chatting here. Just recently the threads have been funnier than ever... looks like it's the end of an era, in a way. I've also seen this happen on other boards. A Teachers' Forum I post on recently had a HUGE row between posters, it got really nasty. People were banned, some went away and cooled off, then the vibe changed and new people came to the forefront.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »

I'd hate to lose the General Music Discussion board, and the Sandbox provides a place for a lot of really off-topic threads that would probably end up there. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: