-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll
Poll
Question: Which statements concerning the Sandbox do you agree with?
The Sandbox should not exist. - 4 (6.7%)
Discussions about sexual, political or religious matters should not be allowed in the Sandbox. - 5 (8.3%)
People who otherwise contribute to the message board, but who have per the administrator have earned a ban of some length, should not be banned. - 7 (11.7%)
The Sandbox should not have its own theme. - 9 (15%)
Messages, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 16 (26.7%)
Threads, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 19 (31.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll  (Read 59245 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »

Let your voice be heard.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »

When I was a young JD, I was over at a friends' house.  I was about 5 years old.  I remember this kids' mother saying, 'there are three things that you should never talk about socially, money, politics, and religion'--I basically knew then and there that those were three of the things that you should talk about.  Why should some of the most significant subjects of our existance not be talked about?  That is absurd in my opinion, and I thought that when I was five.  Now of course, the issue of couth comes into play, and socially, I believe that one should always excersize couth.  Knowing when to back off, knowing when to fire up the proverbial Batmobile as well and drive a point--all good. 

Sex on the other hand, well, this is something that I think should really only be talked about with people you know who understand the terms of the discussion, because here on the internet, we're all anonymous, and there is no need to make it a pervasively smarmy environment.  Now a ball-bag joke here and there is a different story.  We all know that the male anatomy is just intrinsically humorous.
Chris D.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:44:37 AM »

Why should some of the most significant subjects of our existance not be talked about?  That is absurd in my opinion, and I thought that when I was five.

Totally agree.  As for sex -- if a thread is labeled as being about sex, and you are touchy on that subject, DO NOT GO INTO THE THREAD.  That goes for any thread.

This is not a PC Warehouse.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:47:32 AM »

Why should some of the most significant subjects of our existance not be talked about?  That is absurd in my opinion, and I thought that when I was five.

Totally agree.  As for sex -- if a thread is labeled as being about sex, and you are touchy on that subject, DO NOT GO INTO THE THREAD.  That goes for any thread.

OK, if the thread says "Favorite Whoring Towns" I can see your point, but general smarminess and winkiness in all threads is irritating as a reader.  talk about eye-rolls, my eyes are rolling alot reading some of the unfunny uncreative smarm that passes as joking
Chris D.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:57:48 AM »

I can understand that, and sometimes it probably does get excessive.  Some of that is just taste -- for example, the flurry of English-impaired people who decided to register here within the past three weeks or so were unbearable to me (not that I don't make plenty of my own mistakes while posting),  but I don't think we should have a grammar exam to register.  I like joking in any thread, but I can understand why other people are bothered by it.  I will say this: the less restrictions on the Sandbox, the less joking you'll see in straight threads.  The more I get people coming into stuff like the sex thread within the first few pages, being offended as if they couldn't guess the thread's topic, the more I'll end up looking/joking elsewhere.  I also thinking joking is an outlet for people here when they're straight threads are ignored.  I'm not saying people should post in a thread if they don't care, but I've done plenty of straight threads that absolutely bomb because people are more content to talk about the same Kinks song for the millionth time or whatever.  So if joking is the only contribution I can make, that's what will happen.  Some would argue that that is my sign to get out, though, haha.

My other complaint: Ian needs to be reinstated immediately.  This is fucking ludicrous.  I don't know what happened and I don't really care.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »

Censorship is counterproductive, my take.

Same here I have no clue what happened, but Ian should be unbanned.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:06:13 AM »

I can understand that, and sometimes it probably does get excessive.  Some of that is just taste -- for example, the flurry of English-impaired people who decided to register here within the past three weeks or so were unbearable to me (not that I don't make plenty of my own mistakes while posting),  but I don't think we should have a grammar exam to register.  I like joking in any thread, but I can understand why other people are bothered by it.  I will say this: the less restrictions on the Sandbox, the less joking you'll see in straight threads.  The more I get people coming into stuff like the sex thread within the first few pages, being offended as if they couldn't guess the thread's topic, the more I'll end up looking/joking elsewhere.  I also thinking joking is an outlet for people here when they're straight threads are ignored.  I'm not saying people should post in a thread if they don't care, but I've done plenty of straight threads that absolutely bomb because people are more content to talk about the same Kinks song for the millionth time or whatever.  So if joking is the only contribution I can make, that's what will happen.  Some would argue that that is my sign to get out, though, haha.

My other complaint: Ian needs to be reinstated immediately.  This is fodaing ludicrous.  I don't know what happened and I don't really care.

first point, per my previous post, Milwaukee

second point, per spelling, check my user name tribute to the phenom

third point, I find your posts generally funny.  (Like that?  Smiley)

fourth point, Ian, banned again, yawn...if Charles wants to ban somebody that his deal.  It's Charles' board!  I don't think it should be public, nor snuck in less than-elegantly like a cheap congressional rider on this poll (ouch--sorry about that CLP!).  We all know that everybody is different, nobody is perfect.  I may be more effusive than some posters, but have less to contribute.  Should I be banned for being a boring poster?
Chris D.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »

second point, per spelling, check my user name tribute to the phenom

That's why I thought it was brilliant from the beginning.

third point, I find your posts generally funny.  (Like that?  Smiley)

Most certainly.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:10:46 AM »

...but general smarminess and winkiness in all threads is irritating as a reader.  talk about eye-rolls, my eyes are rolling alot reading some of the unfunny uncreative smarm that passes as joking

Totally agree here.  I cannot say that ANY of the above topics require my vote - i don't really agree with any of them on general principal.  But they are ALL topics/situations that can be taken too far very easily.  As you know, i don't believe in legislating what can and cannot be discussed; i do believe, however, in providing guidelines for those who might not know where to draw the line.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record here...but grownups need to act like grownups.  

As for banning and unbanning, admin makes that call.  It's not my place to agree or disagree.  I am not privy to all of the conversations they might have had, the things that might have been said.  The only time i want to comment on another admin's banning action is if i know ALL of the particulars...and in this case, i don't.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Chris D.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »

As for banning and unbanning, admin makes that call.  It's not my place to agree or disagree.  I am not privy to all of the conversations they might have had, the things that might have been said.  The only time i want to comment on another admin's banning action is if i know ALL of the particulars...and in this case, i don't.

That's one thing that makes this a joke though.  We all know something happened because some of the discussion is public, even though the event and decisions are supposed to be private.  Sounds pretty stupid to me.  Make it public or private, but don't try to make it both.  It's rude to people who aren't involved and just want to have fun here.  It's probably not so nice for people who are involved either.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »

My other complaint: Ian needs to be reinstated immediately.  This is fodaing ludicrous.  I don't know what happened and I don't really care.
fourth point, Ian, banned again, yawn...if Charles wants to ban somebody that his deal.  It's Charles' board!  I don't think it should be public, nor snuck in less than-elegantly like a cheap congressional rider on this poll (ouch--sorry about that CLP!). 

I made it part of this poll because of the complaints I get when I find myself in the uncomfortable position of having to put someone in a timeout.  I'd rather not ban anyone, ever, for any length of time.  I do find it fascinating that when Ian has been banned, I don't recall anyone saying to me "Ian didn't do anything to deserve it," instead I'm told "Ian contributes, you shouldn't ban him." 

Chris D.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »

I can't tell you if he deserved it because that stuff is private, apparently.  From what I've been told, this started because of the blind jokes I made and then escalated to fights between you and Ian.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 10:32:37 AM »

My Opinion, Charles, is that part of the poise of being an Admin is that these are your affairs.  It is understood that you want consensus, but I don't think that asking Socratic questions about your responsibilities and making ironic statements about your Ian-itis is effective in earning consensus. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:38:12 AM by Jonahtan Donasdlon » Logged
Maybelline
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 10:37:13 AM »

3 words: Freedom. Of. Speech.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »

It is understood that you want consensus

Achieving consensus requires serious treatment of every group member's considered opinion.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus

However, no matter how seriously I treat each person's opinion, I'm going to do what is best and what is right, to the best of my abilities. 

Freedom of speech?  Of course.  However, on a board I administrate, manage and pay for, in the end, I get the last word.  When people get offended, they are going to come to me, not Maybelline. 

Do I want as many people as possible to be satisfied with the board?  Of course.  But I'm not going to sacrifice more important things for quantity.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:43:29 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Maybelline
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:12 AM »

Yes I do realise that. And I appreciate that you can't 'please all the people all the time'. I've been  shocked and offended more than once by some of the comments- and visuals- on threads here.. but I've learnt not to take it all so seriously. If I don't like the look of a thread, I give it a miss. If I'm hurt by something someone has said, I lie low for a while (I did this last week).
When is Ian going to be allowed back, Charles?
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »

Sometime tonight, I believe.

Maybelline
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »

I'm just looking forward to getting back the essence of this board - FUN!  Smiley
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »

Is the board not fun without Ian?

Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »

its like kicking Denny out of the Beach Boys.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:43 AM »

Right- painful, but necessary.

Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »

and lets face it, the Board lately has gotten to the point of "Our Life, Our Land, Our Love" threads, when did Al become Alan, etc....that's all well and good, but BB land is in a bit of a lull after the onslaught of GIOMH, BWPS, and WIRWFC.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »

Right- painful, but necessary.

I should qualify, Denny '68.  Ian is a Denny '68.

but yeah, if you wanna have Billy Hinche sing "Good Timin'" go for it.

I'm a Bruce by the way.  Case anyone cares.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:05:44 AM by Jonahtan Donasdlon » Logged
Maybelline
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »

Well, the atmosphere is pretty gloomy at the moment!  Undecided
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »

Well, the atmosphere is pretty gloomy at the moment!  Undecided

his ass wouldn't be up yet anyway.