gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:08:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track listing for new 2011 box set??  (Read 33156 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »

Question: Is the Big Sur Concert from the early 70s recorded on camera? or just an audio recording?

IIRC, only audio.

Also, the talk show where they played Lady and Vegetables.

Unfortunately The David Frost Show footage was erased years ago.

One piece of footage that I'd like to see, and seemingly does exist is from the ABC TV show, Get It Together, where they performed "Add Some Music To Your Day."

OK, so what network broadcast The Frost show?

Unsure of the network but, from Wikipedia: "From 1969 to 1972, Frost kept his London shows and fronted The David Frost Show on the Group W (U.S. Westinghouse Corporation) television stations in the United States."

Edit: Both 1971 shows emanated from New York, NY.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:57:31 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

I am waiting for the official "Two Step, Side Step" 50th anniversary release, with accompanying DVD that shows original Straight 8 footage of Murry Wilson doing the official Two Step, Side Step dance.

I realize that the 50th Anniversary has already passed, but passed on the American Family timeline, it is right around the time of Surfin'.

Maybe you could put on Murrry's old dancing shoes and fake it.  I'll send you a pic of the steps, if you don't have them

Do you seriously have a picture of it?  Is it Murry?  I would love to see that.
Paulos
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

How about a special bonus compilation of different versions of Barbara Ann for Andrews enjoyment?

'The Best Of The Beach Boys - Barbara Ann'

1. Barbara Ann (Beach Boys' Party! version)
2. Barbara Ann (Single version)
3. Barbara Ann (Session excerpt)
4. Barbara Ann (Master Take Without Party! Overdubs)
5. Barbara Ann - Live (Live In London)
6. Barbara Ann - Live (Good Timin': Live At Knebworth, England 1980)
7. Barbara Ann - Live (Brian Wilson, Live At The Roxy)
8. Barbara Ann - Live (Al Jardine FAF, Live In Las Vegas)

It's a very good thing you're going to be 10,000 miles away from me soon.  Grin

I really want to burn this album on a CD and send it to you.  Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »

I am waiting for the official "Two Step, Side Step" 50th anniversary release, with accompanying DVD that shows original Straight 8 footage of Murry Wilson doing the official Two Step, Side Step dance.

I realize that the 50th Anniversary has already passed, but passed on the American Family timeline, it is right around the time of Surfin'.

Maybe you could put on Murrry's old dancing shoes and fake it.  I'll send you a pic of the steps, if you don't have them

Do you seriously have a picture of it?  Is it Murry?  I would love to see that.

Its sheet music for "Two Step-Side Step" copyright 1953 by Guild Music( the connection) ; The scans are now up. hope you enjoy them.
Tho Lawrence Welk is pictured, I've never found any evidence he actually recorded it.  Anyone?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:59:19 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

could be wrong, but I think that :
(a) it's pretty much 100% sure that the Vegetables / Fallin' In Love performance doesn't exist on videotape anymore, and
(b) ditto for the WIBN / Cool Cool Water vids. The only reason that it circulates is because at one point someone made a "safety copy" from the faults.

But we can dream, can't we (if that is what you meant)?   Smiley

So how did the Endless Harmony doc have footage from the Frost Show? (I think that's the one with WIBN/CCW is performed). Also, are other appearances and documentaries on the BB erased from history?
I do have the audio to the Our Team promo, but I wanna SEE it, I wanna see them rehearse Mike Come Back to LA and Our Team and Dennis sing My Diane.

ADD to the list of doc's that we need an official release of some kind, the Europe doc. from 68 or 69? Some of it appears in the EH doc. and perhaps the Beach Boys in London in 66 or 67 that was released a couple years ago, WITH AUDIO!  Wink 

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »

...add to that the missing Inside Pop takes...  3D
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »

So how did the Endless Harmony doc have footage from the Frost Show? (I think that's the one with WIBN/CCW is performed).

A friend of Alan Boyd's working as a tape operator/archivist for the company that syndicated the David Frost Show loved the performance so much that he made a copy of it for himself.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »

Also, are other appearances and documentaries on the BB erased from history?

So many, it's depressing Cry

One that comes to mind is an early appearnce on the Mike Douglas Show where they performed "Little Bird", "Friends" & "Graduation Day." The master tape had deteriorated beyond playback.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »

One that comes to mind is an early appearnce on the Mike Douglas Show where they performed "Little Bird", "Friends" & "Graduation Day." The master tape had deteriorated beyond playback.

dang, has the audio ever showed up anywhere?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »

dang, has the audio ever showed up anywhere?

Meet me in my dreams tonight...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »

Another thing that I'd be real excited about would be a reissue of all albums with bonus tracks. Something like Jason Penick's deluxe BB collections, with all outtakes, alternate takes, both previously released and unreleased, on a separate disc.
You know , something htat finally collected it all and put it out in one neat(if huge) package, with a bonus disc for released stuff that wasn't really on albums. It would be so nice to have a BB catalogue as nice and neat and concise as the Beach Boys.

Man, I'd spend a lot of money on those; and it would take me ages to get them all, as I live in a country where CDs are ridicoulously expensive(think 25-30 bucks a pop) but I'd spend it for that.(hint, hint, powers that be.)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 11:30:56 PM »

It would be so nice to have a BB catalogue as nice and neat and concise as the Beach Boys.

I think you meant the Beatles at the end. That's how I read it anyway LOL

I agree though with your sentiments. Let me put it this way. Here in 2011, I would PAY MONEY FOR A PHYSICAL COPY. Yes...in 2011 I would BUY ANY AND ALL CDS featuring such material. I know for a fact some of the inner circle lurk here, so I hope I made my point clear. I think if it had a Brian lead, it needs to be released. Period. Good and bad of the BB era of his music. Doesn't matter. I want to hear the 74 cuts at some point in my lifetime.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »

Thread title is extremely misleading Sad

I'd kill for some proper re-releases of all albums. No harsh limiting, no noise reduction, both mono/stereo when possible or when both exist, extensive liner notes, and bonus tracks. I've only properly bought a few Beach Boys albums because of all the various versions, problems etc. that are present on the versions that exist now because I'm holding out for something better.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:02 AM »

Thread title is extremely misleading Sad

I'd kill for some proper re-releases of all albums. No harsh limiting, no noise reduction, both mono/stereo when possible or when both exist, extensive liner notes, and bonus tracks. I've only properly bought a few Beach Boys albums because of all the various versions, problems etc. that are present on the versions that exist now because I'm holding out for something better.

I think you're holding out for something that may very well never happen, however desirable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:26 AM »

Very desirable=All future extensive liner notes to be penned by AGD Wink

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 04:38:47 AM »

Very desirable=All future extensive liner notes to be penned by AGD Wink

I second that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »

Capitol owns the rights to all studio recordings as of a few years ago. The Beach Boys retain the rights to all live recordings.

I believe Bruce mentioned a couple of years ago that he'd like to release the '93 "unplugged"-shows. Unfortunately he probably doesn't have anything to say about it.

I'd love a dvd with all tv appearances they can find. There's a lot of interesting stuff.
And the "Lost concert" in complete form (Monster mash) and with the Beatles' and Lesley Gore's sets would be cool (like it will be shown in L.A. soon)
And of course some concerts on DVD would be nice, like the '69 olympia show for example
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:13:13 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

Someone here will remember but didn't a poster from this site get a gig to go into Capitols vaults to catalogue everything 5 years or so ago? What ever came of that?

I will still try and think positive and would like to think we may get lucky this year. The 'Sounds Of Summer' and 'The Warmth Of The Sun' albums were not that long ago. Re-release them as a twofer type package for the 50th but this will surely be the last chance to have any interest in the rare material.

Stephen Desper did say the band wanted to do something for the 50th, and given the court cases seem to have been sorted, lets hope that may mean some interesting releases.

BTW. Any major package has probably already been decided on for a summer release so we may be wasting our breath!
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

I doubt. Maybe one more compilation will come out, with 2 or 3 more new mixes again.
Archival releases? I'm so pessimist about it.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »

I'm also kind of pessimistic about it but I do hope if anything happens that it is the previously unbooted or unreleased studio stuff that gets priority over all else. I'll also gladly take previously booted stuff that is sourced from significantly better tapes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »

Does full visual footage for Lei'd in Hawaii exist? That would make a good release.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
theCOD
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »

Someone here will remember but didn't a poster from this site get a gig to go into Capitols vaults to catalogue everything 5 years or so ago? What ever came of that?

I believe that poster was aeijtzsche, and nothing has come of it as far as I know.

The Beach Boys/Capital will not receive another dime from me until they release a SMiLE box set.  If and when that glorious day comes, I'll buy one for myself and every friend and family member who will listen.  I'm not interested in anything else they may have in the vaults.  I think everything The Beach Boys did after Friends (with the exception of Love You and maybe half of Sunflower) is worthless, so to say I'm not interested in songs that were cut from those records would be an understatement.  I've also bought all their greatest hits about 20 times over, and won't be doing so again, even for new stereo mixes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:14:39 PM by theCOD » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

Does full visual footage for Lei'd in Hawaii exist? That would make a good release.

No full footage, the film clips shown in the American Band documentary were bits and pieces of silent footage that they tried to sync together with other live performance audio, like Live In London if I recall.

The notion that the concerts were in any way filmed professionally was debunked much to my disappointment!

But I have a video clip in mind of the Hawaii era from American Band that shows something in the background which remains a mystery, and which when the right people appear on the scene I'll ask about it. Probably nothing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »

...add to that the missing Inside Pop takes...  3D

Indeed - that is the Holy Grail of footage, even though some suggest the audio track is long gone and it's basically silent footage at this point. Maybe someone can update that since the info is from several years ago.

No way in hell anything like that will come out officially. Probably.

The other really interesting missing video is Brian's Sony Porta-Pak videotape reels from when he got a camera setup gifted from Sony and started recording the exploits of his Smile friends and collaborators in 66-67. There are no signs whatsoever that anything survived, best as I ever heard. The Porta-Pak rig was the first consumer-grade video recorder, but with open reels instead of VHS or Beta style cartridges. Apparently Charles Manson had one too, with Dennis involved. But that's rumor.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:33 PM »

a smile boxset would be so good for the beach boys' lasting legacy.  i really hope for that. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx