gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:36:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track listing for new 2011 box set??  (Read 33172 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »

2 CD set of the Morgan sessions ?  That's one that snuck under my radar - label & track listing, please. Unless you mean In The Beginning, of course, which being a bootleg, I've not heard nor do I have any wish to.  Roll Eyes
Ive not heard the "In the beginning" bootleg too or the 2CD Morgan Sessions so it's an unknown thing for me

So what's this 2CD set of the early sessions you've mentioned ?

Probably thinking of Bruce Morgan's/Brad Elliott's infamous planned release of the full Morgan session tapes, which was thrawted by BRI legal action.  After Brad had fleeced a number of fans who contributed advance money towards the release.  Sad
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

A Smile boxset (this is guaranteed to sell)
A comprehensive two or three disk Live CD set with as much focus on the 69-73 years as they can get away with plus maybe a bonus DVD if good enough footage is available.
If they must stick another "best of" out there why not pair it with an "Endless Harmony/Hawthorne" type comp? This makes good commercial sense as it would appeal to casual fans (and hopefully would turn them on to stuff other than the "62-67" period) whilst giving the hardcore fans what they desperately want also.

Our only real hope seems to lie with Al. Mike is said to be against anymore unreleased material coming out, feeling it would just be barrel scraping and Brian just doesn't care, so that really leaves Al as the last guy standing who has any interest in the lesser known corners of the group's career reaching a wider audience.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

How about a special bonus compilation of different versions of Barbara Ann for Andrews enjoyment?

'The Best Of The Beach Boys - Barbara Ann'

1. Barbara Ann (Beach Boys' Party! version)
2. Barbara Ann (Single version)
3. Barbara Ann (Session excerpt)
4. Barbara Ann (Master Take Without Party! Overdubs)
5. Barbara Ann - Live (Live In London)
6. Barbara Ann - Live (Good Timin': Live At Knebworth, England 1980)
7. Barbara Ann - Live (Brian Wilson, Live At The Roxy)
8. Barbara Ann - Live (Al Jardine FAF, Live In Las Vegas)

It's a very good thing you're going to be 10,000 miles away from me soon.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they're going to release yet another greatest hits compilation, but could they really get away with that? You can't make a (one disc) greatest hits compilation that's any more "definitive" than 'Sounds of Summer'.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »

Well it does look like and as hinted on past topics that we will have some kind of box set this year. Lots of youtube videos are being taken off which has studio sessions on them esp from the Smile sessions, Which like I've said before can only be a good thing as we would all love to see, hear and buy it officially!!!.
Here is what I believe may be incuding in the box set,
1) a few minutes from the first ever studio Beach Boys sessions
2) Some early outside productions e.g. Honeys etc
3) Sessions from Beach Boys Today/Summer Days Albums
4) A few Remixed Tracks from Pet Sounds?? (Do we need more?, Yes because Pet Sounds is so groundbreaking!!)
5) Lot's of Smile Sessions With Full Stereo Mixes Of Selected Songs e.g. Do You like Worms, Wonderful. This could be a mini Box set within a box set??.
6) Vocal only Remixed Songs e.g. Till I Die, Smily Smile Version of Wonderful (Please add more to this list)
7) Track only Songs e.g. This Whole World.
Cool Just a few unreleased Songs but esp Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and a few other early Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson songs.
9) One New Song just for old times with Mike, Brian, Al, And Bruce at least and maybe one or two celebrity fans joining in too.
10) Good Vibrations in full Stereo including the vocals which are hidden away in Brian's sandbox!! lol.

Jeesh, that would be a perfect boxset. Love the idea of the Vocals-only of SS 'Wonderful' - I think I'd add 'Don't Worry Baby' and the Coda of 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree' to the vocals-only disc.

They need to finally release 'In The Back Of My Mind (instrumental)'....Also, the instrumental for 'Wake The World' would be a nice addition.

I'd also like to see the official release of the demos from the 'Love You' era.

Also, I know it has been talked about before, but a 'Best Of Brian Wilson' from the Brian Camp would be great. I'd add some instrumentals from TLOS/BWRG as a bonus.
In fact ANY Songs from "Friends track only or Vocals or indeed remixed would make me happy Thank you very much Grin
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they're going to release yet another greatest hits compilation, but could they really get away with that? You can't make a (one disc) greatest hits compilation that's any more "definitive" than 'Sounds of Summer'.
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be another greatest hits, At the very least an download only of 2CD album of outtakes and highlights at the VERY VERY least trust me!!! Grin
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »

2 CD set of the Morgan sessions ?  That's one that snuck under my radar - label & track listing, please. Unless you mean In The Beginning, of course, which being a bootleg, I've not heard nor do I have any wish to.  Roll Eyes
Ive not heard the "In the beginning" bootleg too or the 2CD Morgan Sessions so it's an unknown thing for me

So what's this 2CD set of the early sessions you've mentioned ?
Sorry Andrew I've got it wrong!! I was thinking of "In the beginning" Bootleg. I dont want anyone thinking there's something else out there too!!.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »

Well it does look like and as hinted on past topics that we will have some kind of box set this year. Lots of youtube videos are being taken off which has studio sessions on them esp from the Smile sessions, Which like I've said before can only be a good thing as we would all love to see, hear and buy it officially!!!.
Here is what I believe may be incuding in the box set,
1) a few minutes from the first ever studio Beach Boys sessions
2) Some early outside productions e.g. Honeys etc
3) Sessions from Beach Boys Today/Summer Days Albums
4) A few Remixed Tracks from Pet Sounds?? (Do we need more?, Yes because Pet Sounds is so groundbreaking!!)
5) Lot's of Smile Sessions With Full Stereo Mixes Of Selected Songs e.g. Do You like Worms, Wonderful. This could be a mini Box set within a box set??.
6) Vocal only Remixed Songs e.g. Till I Die, Smily Smile Version of Wonderful (Please add more to this list)
7) Track only Songs e.g. This Whole World.
Cool Just a few unreleased Songs but esp Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and a few other early Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson songs.
9) One New Song just for old times with Mike, Brian, Al, And Bruce at least and maybe one or two celebrity fans joining in too.
10) Good Vibrations in full Stereo including the vocals which are hidden away in Brian's sandbox!! lol.

Jeesh, that would be a perfect boxset. Love the idea of the Vocals-only of SS 'Wonderful' - I think I'd add 'Don't Worry Baby' and the Coda of 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree' to the vocals-only disc.

They need to finally release 'In The Back Of My Mind (instrumental)'....Also, the instrumental for 'Wake The World' would be a nice addition.

I'd also like to see the official release of the demos from the 'Love You' era.

Also, I know it has been talked about before, but a 'Best Of Brian Wilson' from the Brian Camp would be great. I'd add some instrumentals from TLOS/BWRG as a bonus.
In fact ANY Songs from "Friends track only or Vocals or indeed remixed would make me happy Thank you very much Grin

Indeed! I meant to add 'Little Bird' and 'Busy Doin' Nothin'' to the backing track list. 'Anna Lee' the healer would make a great a cappella track!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Anything without a full SMiLE treatment would be a bit of a let down...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »

Anything without a full SMiLE treatment would be a bit of a let down...

They did an entire Pet Sounds boxset which was aimed at people like us...my money is that they make a SMiLE boxset with HIGH quality stereo/mono mixes, vocal tracks, a booklet with the original artwork. SMiLE is too big a moneymaker (if they market it right) for them to keep ignoring.

I like the aforementioned idea of an endless-summer/hawthorne duo that would broaden the horizons of the majority of Beach Boys fans. But then again, 'Warmth of the Sun' and 'Sounds of Summer' kinda did that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

Seriously if all that comes out of the 50 year anniversary is another "Greatest Hits" collection from the surf era I will be booking the first available flight to America, with the sole intention of personally kicking Mike as hard as I can in the nuts.

Seems like a lot of wasted $$/energy; just invite him over the pond and kick him then and there. HARD

I think the mid 70's need some attention. Brian's piano version of "California Feelin'" (Ok, a CD full of Brian's demos, add "Awake" + "Love You" Demos), "Adult/Child" songs, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", alternate 15 BO mixes like that powerfull mix of "Rock 'n' Roll Music" that was broadcasted on radio, etc.

Since most suggestions so far seem to be Capitol owned material, who does own the mid-70's recordings? 
Is it the BBs/BRI or did WEA pay for some of this stuff and still have an ownership interest. If so, would they be likely to release something? 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:41:51 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »

Capitol owns the rights to all studio recordings as of a few years ago. The Beach Boys retain the rights to all live recordings.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »

Capitol owns the rights to all studio recordings as of a few years ago. The Beach Boys retain the rights to all live recordings.

That would seem to bode well, then, for studio release box sets. If Brian doesn't care, Al does, and Mike's against, Someone just has to convince Brian to care; who here is on MW's good side?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »

Seriously if all that comes out of the 50 year anniversary is another "Greatest Hits" collection from the surf era I will be booking the first available flight to America, with the sole intention of personally kicking Mike as hard as I can in the nuts.

Seems like a lot of wasted $$/energy; just invite him over the pond and kick him then and there. HARD

I will kick him in his tackle so hard he'll be able to sing the lead on "Don't Worry Baby" perfectly.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »

A comprehensive two or three disk Live CD set with as much focus on the 69-73 years as they can get away with plus maybe a bonus DVD if good enough footage is available.

I think it'd also be great to get in studio footage/documentries along with talk show appearences that have been recorded over the years that have yet to release besides being televised once or twice. Documentries like the 'Our Team-MIU' doc, Goin' Platinum (KTSA doc) plus promo concert performing songs from KTSA, Japanese promo video of L.A. songs being performed, the 25th Anniversery special, the POB promo video, footage shot in Holland (example from the Sail On Sailor video on EH dvd), the appearences we see on youtube of Breakaway being performed on a tv show along with Never Learn Not to Love and the tv show appearence where WIBN and Cool Cool Water are performed. Also, the talk show where they played Lady and Vegetables.

Question: Is the Big Sur Concert from the early 70s recorded on camera? or just an audio recording?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »

could be wrong, but I think that :
(a) it's pretty much 100% sure that the Vegetables / Fallin' In Love performance doesn't exist on videotape anymore, and
(b) ditto for the WIBN / Cool Cool Water vids. The only reason that it circulates is because at one point someone made a "safety copy" from the faults.

But we can dream, can't we (if that is what you meant)?   Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »

could be wrong, but I think that :
(a) it's pretty much 100% sure that the Vegetables / Fallin' In Love performance doesn't exist on videotape anymore, and
(b) ditto for the WIBN / Cool Cool Water vids. The only reason that it circulates is because at one point someone made a "safety copy" from the faults.

But we can dream, can't we (if that is what you meant)?   Smiley

Both are most likely true; but suppose an affiliate somewhere, did a delayed broadcast, and still has the tape in their vaults. 
Improbable, I think, but not impossible.
Now, how to find that station...

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

I also love to see a complete singles box set. 1961-1996. I have a compilation from some one that put al the single releases on mp3 format from 1976-1989, just fantastic !! The boys released some singles in the 80's that were never officially on cd.

A live cd from the 90's would be great.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »

Documentries like the 'Our Team-MIU' doc, Goin' Platinum (KTSA doc) plus promo concert performing songs from KTSA, Japanese promo video of L.A. songs being performed, the 25th Anniversary special, the POB promo video, footage shot in Holland.

Those are good ones, and don't forget the "20th Anniversary Special", the "It's OK" NBC Special, and the "Wouldn't Be Nice" documentary (shown in the UK), all of which contain footage and soundbites unavailable anywhere else.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

I haven't heard of Brian being asked recently, but unless he's softened and changed his mind since he said no two or three years ago, I doubt very much that we'll see a Beach Boys SMiLE release. I think Brian still has the last word on it, right?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »

I am waiting for the official "Two Step, Side Step" 50th anniversary release, with accompanying DVD that shows original Straight 8 footage of Murry Wilson doing the official Two Step, Side Step dance.

I realize that the 50th Anniversary has already passed, but passed on the American Family timeline, it is right around the time of Surfin'.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »

Question: Is the Big Sur Concert from the early 70s recorded on camera? or just an audio recording?

IIRC, only audio.

Also, the talk show where they played Lady and Vegetables.

Unfortunately The David Frost Show footage was erased years ago.

One piece of footage that I'd like to see, and seemingly does exist is from the ABC TV show, Get It Together, where they performed "Add Some Music To Your Day."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »

IIRC, only audio.

Also, the talk show where they played Lady and Vegetables.

Unfortunately The David Frost Show footage was erased years ago.

One piece of footage that I'd like to see, and seemingly does exist is from the ABC TV show, Get It Together, where they performed "Add Some Music To Your Day."

OK, so what network broadcast The Frost show?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »

The recent removal of video from youtube, some of it after many years as mentioned. I have a vision of a guy in overalls with a mop at some nameless, faceless Brother office in a strip mall who wakes from a slumber every few years.

Yawns...'Better check on youtube, whoa...is it 2011 already, better tidy up that greatest hits section'.

Sad
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:28:32 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »

I am waiting for the official "Two Step, Side Step" 50th anniversary release, with accompanying DVD that shows original Straight 8 footage of Murry Wilson doing the official Two Step, Side Step dance.

I realize that the 50th Anniversary has already passed, but passed on the American Family timeline, it is right around the time of Surfin'.

Maybe you could put on Murrry's old dancing shoes and fake it.  I'll send you a pic of the steps, if you don't have them

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx