gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:37:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track listing for new 2011 box set??  (Read 33108 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »

If I'd be in charge of these things, this is what would get released this year:

- Two versions of 'Smile': a one disc edition with the best/most complete version available of each song (maybe with some new overdubs where necessary), and a box set version comparable to 'Pet Sounds Sessions' (which obviously includes the one disc version).

- A 4CD + DVD "treasure box":
CD 1: unreleased songs
CD 2: demo's, alternate takes, a capella mixes, backing tracks, etc.
CD 3: selected live recordings 1962-2010, with a strong focus on unusual versions and songs that were rarely performed live
CD 4: a full live show
DVD: TV appearances and live clips (full songs only)

- No new hits compilation, but instead an "Essential Beach Boys Starters Kit" with 'Sounds of Summer', 'The Warmth of the Sun' and 'Pet Sounds' packaged together for a nice price.

heck of a good idea.

I wonder what the publicity would be like if The Beach Boys decided to release a SMiLE set.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »

I wonder what the publicity would be like if The Beach Boys decided to release a SMiLE set.

They know exactly what the level of publicity would be! I remember several reports of the Beach Boys organization at times in the 70's and beyond when their sales were slumping and they were shopping for a new label and/or contract, the term I remember was "dangling the Smile tapes like a carrot" in front of various record labels. They knew what they were holding, and I guess they knew how to negotiate using that ultimate trump card to bargain with.

The 93 box set was a game-changer, but as fans were soon to find out there was more to be found. There was a published report announcing the Pet Sounds box that was also announcing a similar Smile box, around 1995. And another article in 95 or so suggesting Don Was had gotten involved with a Smile archive project of some kind. The problem is as was mentioned earlier in this discussion nobody in the organization, i.e. band members, seem interested at all in releasing that stuff. Brian moved on and released what he wanted to release and won a Grammy and had a successful tour with the album. Mike and Al, what interest would they have in revisiting all of the issues fans have out on them in the past? And they were not there for the majority of the 66-67 studio sessions anyway. Al: "That's not Worms!" Cheesy

It's pessimistic, sure, but that's not saying I wouldn't want such a Smile set more than anything in the Beach Boys catalog.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »

They know exactly what the level of publicity would be! I remember several reports of the Beach Boys organization at times in the 70's and beyond when their sales were slumping and they were shopping for a new label and/or contract, the term I remember was "dangling the Smile tapes like a carrot" in front of various record labels. They knew what they were holding, and I guess they knew how to negotiate using that ultimate trump card to bargain with.

The 93 box set was a game-changer, but as fans were soon to find out there was more to be found. There was a published report announcing the Pet Sounds box that was also announcing a similar Smile box, around 1995. And another article in 95 or so suggesting Don Was had gotten involved with a Smile archive project of some kind. The problem is as was mentioned earlier in this discussion nobody in the organization, i.e. band members, seem interested at all in releasing that stuff. Brian moved on and released what he wanted to release and won a Grammy and had a successful tour with the album. Mike and Al, what interest would they have in revisiting all of the issues fans have out on them in the past? And they were not there for the majority of the 66-67 studio sessions anyway. Al: "That's not Worms!" Cheesy

It's pessimistic, sure, but that's not saying I wouldn't want such a Smile set more than anything in the Beach Boys catalog.

Seems to me, as it always seems to be about "How much $$ can we make off this? " the signs would just flash in front of Mike and Al's eyes to where they'd say" It's Brian's cross. This would be really inexpensive to master and release!  Let's get this sucker out so I can start reaping the rewards. " 
Mike and Al COULD over-rule Brian on the release issue, couldn't they? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

Mike and Al COULD over-rule Brian on the [Smile] release issue, couldn't they?  

As voting members of BRI, and assuming they got Carl's estate either on their side or agreeing to abstain, yes. But they didn't in 1993, so why now ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »

I think a Smile Era box would be a revelation to the public at large. I hope, now that Brian has had several well received albums, including Smile, BWRG, and The Lucky Old Sun, that he would allow that the full content of his work from 1966-67 would be made available to show his work from then in its incredible span and diversity. As with The Basement Tapes, this an artist at the extreme of his creativity going wherever his muse took him. I think the music could be supplemented with the skits, tracks, and other work from that era,such as Teeter Totter Love and so forth. The album  set, as a box would be epic. I do not believe that Capitol would release such a wonderful project unless Brian approved the final product.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »

I think a Smile Era box would be a revelation to the public at large. I hope, now that Brian has had several well received albums, including Smile, BWRG, and The Lucky Old Sun, that he would allow that the full content of his work from 1966-67 would be made available to show his work from then in its incredible span and diversity. As with The Basement Tapes, this an artist at the extreme of his creativity going wherever his muse took him. I think the music could be supplemented with the skits, tracks, and other work from that era,such as Teeter Totter Love and so forth. The album  set, as a box would be epic. I do not believe that Capitol would release such a wonderful project unless Brian approved the final product.

Capitol/EMI:  Where do I place my order?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »

Capitol/EMI:  Where do I place my order?

Can I prepay in advance for 5 copies???
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »

How many people are on this board?  Well, there's at least one guaranteed purchase for each and every one of us!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2011, 03:40:52 AM »

How many people are on this board?  Well, there's at least one guaranteed purchase for each and every one of us!

I really believe that 'Smile' could be a hit and not just among the diehard fans. I know for a fact that a lot of people who aren't Beach Boys fans know about the album and are curious about it. An official 'Smile' would be an instant essential pop classic, and with some clever promotion I can see it becoming a small hype. But I think that from a commercial point of view it would be a huge mistake to only release it as an expensive box set.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »

I think part of the problem for Brian and his management team is that in getting behind the hype in promoting a Smile Boxset, they would sort of be admitting that BWPS is inferior to the original 66-67 sessions.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »

I think part of the problem for Brian and his management team is that in getting behind the hype in promoting a Smile Boxset, they would sort of be admitting that BWPS is inferior to the original 66-67 sessions.

When Brian gets interviewed for it he could say "Oh, it's a great set, you can hear the history behind BWPS..." "It was all leading up to our release of the album in 2004..."

It's a real fine line, I know, but it can be done with some smart marketing people.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

Well it has been six years since BWPS and so I think that any release of Smile wouldn't hurt BWPS in any way in fact it may even increase sales of BWPS if there's enough press and hype behind any form of release of Smile this year plus it will be 45 years since Smile was first started and 50 years of Beach Boys and yes I think their would be alot of interest with Smile I for one have spread the word and shared a few tracks with friends and family and all agree it's an amazing piece of work
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »

As Van Dyke Parks once said, "now that's a sentence."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »

I want to hear Brian's original Love You mix that Carl altered to give us what we know as the released album. I can only imagine how sloppy it must be...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:52:50 PM by Midnight Special » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »

If we are putting in requests, I'd be happy with a extended 'In Concert' with the missing tracks listed here...

http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/in-concert/4518172574

Add a wall poster plus a  official Brother T-shirt and I'll toast the 50th for sure! Beer
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

If we are putting in requests, I'd be happy with a extended 'In Concert' with the missing tracks listed here...

http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/in-concert/4518172574

Add a wall poster plus a  official Brother T-shirt and I'll toast the 50th for sure! Beer

... which would mean a complete 3rd LP (and definitely a 2CD set then if included as a bonus), as we know that the songs offered on the first rejected LP were all from other concerts then on the double live album...

And - no - I wouldn't mind seeing this happen either. 

By the way, you do know that the live version of Heroes And Villains from the rejected single album was officially released on the Endless Harmony soundtrack CD?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Yes. It sounds so good that I want the lot!
Jason
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »

I was to hear Brian's original Love You mix that Carl altered to give us what we know as the released album. I can only imagine how sloppy it must be...

Part of it is out on bootlegs, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if they're from the Brian mix, but they are not fake alternates, either. The songs are Roller Skating Child, Mona, Good Time, Honkin' Down The Highway, Ding Dang, The Night Was So Young, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and I Wanna Pick You Up. The differences in the mixes aren't drastic, but they're certainly noticeable. These have been around on cassettes since the late 1970s, along with a slew of unreleased songs from the period.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

Indeed. It's a punishing task to read it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »

I [want] to hear Brian's original Love You mix that Carl altered to give us what we know as the released album. I can only imagine how sloppy it must be...

Part of it is out on bootlegs, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if they're from the Brian mix, but they are not fake alternates, either. The songs are Roller Skating Child, Mona, Good Time, Honkin' Down The Highway, Ding Dang, The Night Was So Young, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, and I Wanna Pick You Up. The differences in the mixes aren't drastic, but they're certainly noticeable. These have been around on cassettes since the late 1970s, along with a slew of unreleased songs from the period.

Ah, the pitfalls of not being committed to the bootlegger scene! I've only ever come across the usual SOT volumes and Get The Boot and such stuff. I'll have to keep a look-out for this here one...
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »

I know and I only got an E in English, and it shows too lol Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

An E?! Where are you from? I know A, B, C, D, and F. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »

can this sh go down already. COME ON
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

An E?! Where are you from? I know A, B, C, D, and F. LOL
Yep the UK and GCSE's was the exams, and an E is a pass of sorts but it doesn't get you anywhere lol Grin
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »

For the stack of tracks I would include Vegtable from Smile (Instrumental) Bootleg, Friends, This Whole World, Solar System, Guess Im Dumb?? (for the Pet Sound alike), Funky Pretty. Any more to add?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx