gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:14:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good a guitar player was Carl?  (Read 33380 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

Everyone that made the point of how good Carl was at such a young age is dead on! His playing on the Surfin USA album was beyond any other rock guitarist at sixteen years old, I mean c'mon. And he sure as hell blew George Harrison outta the water... The Beach Boys the phenomenal singers they were were just as good musicians as ANY band at that time and NO ONE could play and sing that well and its never been replicated except maybe with a twenty piece band like the fendertones . And as a drummer myself Dennis was the reason I picked up the sticks twelve years ago in my junior year of high school/ and he had the best taste in equipment- gretsch, camco, rogers etc. Cream of the crop .
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »

i attended a beach boys concert in charleston, wv in, i think, october 1985. group came out and started the show. i was in the 4th row right in front of carl. i was wearing a yellow love you t-shirt i got from brother back in 1977. had the love you cover on it. carl stared at me and that t-shirt the whole show. best part was carl played all the leads. he played what jeff usually played and jeff played what carl usually did. i was in awe. and the sound rocked. had never seen carl so into playing like that. at one point he even climbed up the drum riser, leaned back in the classic guitarist stance with the guitar pointed straight up, playing away. one of the best rocking beach boys shows i ever saw. i was blown away. he was a wild man that night. he sure played the hell out of the guitar that night.

This post made me grin ear to ear.  That's the Carl I wanna hear about!  How much do we miss him?  Muchly.  Thanks for the wonderful memory Steve.
Me too.  Great post.  Carl was The Bomb.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »

Carl really rocked out during the group's performance in Hawaii on the Mike Douglas show in 1980 Smokin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx