gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:24:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12-67 footage never before seen.  (Read 15533 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »

Great find!!! Im still trying to figure out who is singing the falsetto.
Its not Brian is it? It sounds like Brian.
I dont see him but then the rest of the guys seems to be singing Ba Ba Barbara Ann at the same time.
Usually Bruce would sing Brian's falsetto but he is clearly singing with the rest of the guys.

Any thoughts?

It's Alan: check the "GOK" footage, at 4.08. Unlikely to be Brian as he's not there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:53:26 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »

I dont see him but then the rest of the guys seems to be singing Ba Ba Barbara Ann at the same time.
Usually Bruce would sing Brian's falsetto but he is clearly singing with the rest of the guys.

Any thoughts?

Al!  Smiley

Edit: AGD beat me to it!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Beekeeper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »

Any thoughts?

It's Alan. Unlikely to be Brian as he's not there.

Wow, really? I would have never have thought it was Al. Thanks.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »

That was awesome. My Fave non Brian moment!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »

Any thoughts?

It's Alan. Unlikely to be Brian as he's not there.

Wow, really? I would have never have thought it was Al. Thanks.
He did the same sort of thing in the Good Timin' 1980 performance of God Only Knows. Sounded just like Brian.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »

Al and Brian sounded remarkably alike in the falsetto range for a long time.  Since they're not related and Bruce was the "replacement", a lot of people didn't catch on that Al was doing a lot of Brian's high parts.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

And also here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIscI9NL_Y

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »

Looking at the video in sync, it strikes me that Dennis' drumming is surprisingly erratic.  I think I even see a flash of annoyance from Carl when he brings it in late early on in "Barbara Ann."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »

Re the wonderful Christmas carol, how many other examples are there where the whole band -- including Dennis -- sings around the mic like that?  I can't think of any off hand, except maybe somewhere in the 15 BIG ONES era.  It's wonderful to see Dennis singing with the other guys in that environment.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, the second lowest voice in the "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" arrangement is Carl (I'd recognize that timbre anywhere). Is that usually how it worked?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

That's right, I think. Many of the early songs have Dennis above Carl in the harmony. My ears aren't good enough to pick it out here - is it four och five parts? (Obviously there are five voices, but is anyone doubling another or are there five separate parts?)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »

Extra musicians:  Ron Brown and ...?

Joe Sample, of The Crusaders. The only time he ever played with the Boys.

Cool, been trying to figure out for awhile when Joe played with them...how'd you find out?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »

What about Denny singing that high falsetto-y part starting around 5:08!? Amazing. California soul indeed!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »

Cool, been trying to figure out for awhile when Joe played with them...how'd you find out?

I was in touch with an assistant of his a few years back. The subject of Joe and the Boys came up, and he asked Sample about it. The UNICEF concert was a one-gig deal, apparently something that came up rather suddenly, and they needed a keyboard player (I'm guessing that Daryl Dragon might not have been available for some reason?). Sample flew over to Paris with them, did the show, flew back and that was it!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 12:03:56 AM »

I love the way Mike improvises with the therimin on Babarann!

I loved that part too!

This footage is amazing!!! Anyone notice Al's gesture at 0:45?  Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »

I was in touch with an assistant of his a few years back. The subject of Joe and the Boys came up, and he asked Sample about it. The UNICEF concert was a one-gig deal, apparently something that came up rather suddenly, and they needed a keyboard player (I'm guessing that Daryl Dragon might not have been available for some reason?). Sample flew over to Paris with them, did the show, flew back and that was it!

Was DD part of the touring band back in late 1967 - I've seen an interview were he mentions joining the BB on tour, but all he says is "about 1967", which is kinda vague for my liking

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »

Was DD part of the touring band back in late 1967 - I've seen an interview were he mentions joining the BB on tour, but all he says is "about 1967", which is kinda vague for my liking

Yes, Daryl joined up for the Wild Honey tour, along with Ron Brown.  So the lineup for the UNICEF show included Joe Sample on piano...and Ron Brown playing tambourine when Bruce played bass, and bass when Bruce played organ...does anyone recognize the conga player?   
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »

Okay, this question just has to be asked:

Would this have been good enough for Monterey ? Remember that the mix isn't very good here (guitars are much too silent). But ever since Bruce started playing bass the drive was gone as "Barbara Ann" shows clearly.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »

Great to see Ron Brown--possibly a much bigger part of the Beach Boys story than he gets credit for.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 08:11:27 AM »

Would this have been good enough for Monterey ? Remember that the mix isn't very good here (guitars are much too silent). But ever since Bruce started playing bass the drive was gone as "Barbara Ann" shows clearly.

Good question.  I think the GOK performance would have gone over well.  Barbara Ann probably not.  Not with the times., or for that crowd anyhow.  Perhaps Brian would have played bass if Bruce were there to play the organ or piano, which would have been better.  Too bad. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

Even with the guitars mixed the way they are, the group are seriously lacking power, and imo did until they got the huge backing groups of the 70's in place. I don't think the lack of Brian on the bass is that big of a deal - Bruce sounds fine, and Carl and Al were probably focussing on their harmonies at the expense of 'rock'.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »

Even with the guitars mixed the way they are, the group are seriously lacking power, and imo did until they got the huge backing groups of the 70's in place. I don't think the lack of Brian on the bass is that big of a deal - Bruce sounds fine, and Carl and Al were probably focussing on their harmonies at the expense of 'rock'.

I don't think so. Compare "I get around" with Brian on bass with Bruce on bass. Or more direct, "Barbara Ann": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654H4xfDYKM   Not heavy rock but still more powerful than all '67 versions I know.
Bruce ain't no rock'n'roller and Brian just has/had a great feeling for rythm. Plus Al's lead is not as strong and full as Brian's.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »

Good question.  I think the GOK performance would have gone over well.  Barbara Ann probably not.  Not with the times., or for that crowd anyhow. Perhaps Brian would have played bass if Bruce were there to play the organ or piano, which would have been better.  Too bad.  
Maybe if Mike would have played the "Woo Woo Machine"(great name for a band! But I digress...) the hippies tripping on acid would have dug it.  Brian's Trip
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:43:10 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »

I think they rocked quite well from late '68 on (such as on "Live In London"), mostly due to Denny's spirited drumming...but also listen to the guitars (and bass, and horns) on that version of "Aren't You Glad"...much better IMO than the studio cut.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »

Amazing stuff - thanks MBE!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx