gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:44:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Malt Shop Cruise  (Read 6529 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »

http://www.maltshopcruise.com/

But this statement under the Beach Boys Bio caught my eye.

In 1974 Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world.

Shocked
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

A compilation album-- what a concept!  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »

Probably not the first time "Mike Love" and "tempest" were ever uttered in the same sentence -_-

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »

some naive copywriter latching on to a buzzword and using without knowledge of its contextual meaning.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »

http://www.maltshopcruise.com/

But this statement under the Beach Boys Bio caught my eye.

In 1974 Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world.

Shocked

Don't know who wrote it, but the whole text, this was taken from, was like that. It was even used some years ago on a site promoting Beach Boys-concerts (iirc)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:23 AM »

Does anyone under 70 even use the term "malt shop" at this point?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:48 PM »

anyone know where you can buy liquid Malt so you can make a malted anymore?
Ovaltine just isn't the same.... Huh

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
oldsurferdude
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »

Exactly where Myk Luhv and his tribute band belong-on a cruise ship with a malt shop. Anyone gotta straw(suck)?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »

Will there be a soda jerk on board?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Mike Love single-handedly turned the Beach Boys' very creative Sunflower/Surf's Up/CT&P/Holland machine into an oldies act overnight with his idea of Endless Summer. I remember when Endless Summer came out and looking at the album artwork and the goofy poster inside and thinking, "Oooohhhhh noooo. What's this? I have all these songs already, and they're regressing into greatest hits albums again? They're forever stuck in the 60's!" Then Spirit of America came out and I shot my wad (of cash) on other new albums.

The part of this where they captured new fans? Great! The part where they disappointed hard-core fans waiting for new material? Not great.

When I think of Endless Summer, I always think of that photo of Brian in his pool holding the gold record (or was it platinum?) with a big smirk on his face. Like..........WTF? Where were all the people who bought this after we worked so hard on our last four (five) albums? Were they too artsy-fartsy for ya, kiddies?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:31:04 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »

I like food...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

When I think of Endless Summer, I always think of that photo of Brian in his pool holding the gold record (or was it platinum?) with a big smirk on his face.

I dunno...to me it looked less like a smirk and more of a forced smile.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »

When I think of Endless Summer, I always think of that photo of Brian in his pool holding the gold record (or was it platinum?) with a big smirk on his face.

I dunno...to me it looked less like a smirk and more of a forced smile.

... and as soon as that photo was taken, he got out of the pool, walked to the nearest wall and smashed the disc against it.

It was gold, btw - astonishingly, Endless Summer wasn't certified (triple) platinum until September 2003.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:27:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 03:24:29 AM »

Is that true or a wind up AGD? Oh well at least he didn't give it the Manson Family................

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »

Someone needs to say that Endless Summer was Bruce Brown`s concept 10 years before the Capitol reissue.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

Is that true or a wind up AGD? Oh well at least he didn't give it the Manson Family................

True - someone who was there told me.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »

Now THAT'S  a picture I would like to have seen. Would've  made a great album cover...also instead of 15 BO it could've been called "Breaking the Record" LOL

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

Someone needs to say that Endless Summer was Bruce Brown`s concept 10 years before the Capitol reissue.

Seem like different concepts; unless you're saying Bruce was planning a 2 LP set of BBs hits, before they were conceived.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am speaking about the title, which recalls Bruce Brown`s film about surfing around the world. Which Capitol, perhaps from Mike, either licensed or "borrowed." The idea of another Capitol reissue of Brian`s early work was certainly not new.I love the original soundtrack by The Sandals.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am speaking about the title, which recalls Bruce Brown`s film about surfing around the world. Which Capitol, perhaps from Mike, either licensed or "borrowed." The idea of another Capitol reissue of Brian`s early work was certainly not new.I love the original soundtrack by The Sandals.....

I wouldn't think Capitol would have had to do anything to use the title, tho. I don't see how Brown would have gained permanent title to two words; heck  different songs with the same title abound. I think there are different movies that are released that use previous titles, aren't there? Confusing, but...

Somewhere I think I have that soundtrack LP, unless I had to part with it in the lean years and forgot to replace it. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am speaking about the title, which recalls Bruce Brown`s film about surfing around the world.

Great soundtrack ! I love it

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

Just another dumbing down of the brand IMO. Early in the year Mike is talking a reunion at Wembley Stadium next year. Now we are talking a 2 bit cabaret for a bunch of seniors on the Love Boat. All class!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 03:20:38 AM »

Just another dumbing down of the brand IMO. Early in the year Mike is talking a reunion at Wembley Stadium next year. Now we are talking a 2 bit cabaret for a bunch of seniors on the Love Boat. All class!

Room for both...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 05:08:12 AM »

Mike Love single-handedly turned the Beach Boys' very creative Sunflower/Surf's Up/CT&P/Holland machine into an oldies act overnight with his idea of Endless Summer.

Actually, that long-standing view among supporters of the Wilson faction has recently been tempered by the admission of one James William Guercio that he, and the ENTIRE band, agreed upon a course of action earlier in 1974 that would find them embarking upon a more audience-friendly (read: oldies heavy) touring program when he joined their team.  Whereas in the Jack Rieley era the oldies showed up mainly in the encore, with a couple of them sprinkled into the main set, in early-mid '74 they now comprised a good half of the main set...this was BEFORE "Endless Summer".  So they were already on the road of no return...if "Endless Summer" and "Spirit Of America" hadn't happened, they might have maintained a bit of their contemporary integrity by continuing to play songs from "Holland" for awhile, and maybe the aborted Caribou album might have been finished and released, but they were definitely growing weary of playing newer material that was only received politely, at best.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 05:18:54 AM »

Mike Love single-handedly turned the Beach Boys' very creative Sunflower/Surf's Up/CT&P/Holland machine into an oldies act overnight with his idea of Endless Summer.

Mikie, that's complete nonsense and you know it - at best, Mike suggested a title for a pre-existing, almost completed reissue project. Wasn't his idea, he had nothing to do with track selection, and he sure as hell had no idea it would take off like Craig Breedlove on speed. No-one did, least of all Capitol.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx