gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:54:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When will Brian's next Disney album be released?  (Read 8083 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »

Amateurs. It's all about the wax cylinders Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »

Screw Disney...where's the rock and roll album??!!! Bathrobes, coke, grunting, Shortenin' Bread, cigarettes going pffft in the toilet, a fast rock and roll song showing up as the bridge of a slow romantic ballad, farting Moogs...

Ask Melinda

A broken man too tough to cry
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »

Screw Disney...where's the rock and roll album??!!! Bathrobes, coke, grunting, Shortenin' Bread, cigarettes going pffft in the toilet, a fast rock and roll song showing up as the bridge of a slow romantic ballad, farting Moogs...

Let's face it, those days are probably over once and for all and in terms of the coke and the cigarettes it's probably better this way... Personally, however, I think that BW's latter-day solo creations really could use a lot more of the man's trademark eccentric humor. Dust off the vintage Moog synth if it helps, it's a beautiful instrument anyway.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:31:36 PM by phirnis » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

I feel like sometimes his musical approach comes across as trying too hard to sound like a Brian Wilson record. Also, I feel that his soul is in a more classically refined space rather than a Rock n' Roll-type of urgency head space. I do wonder what would happen if you gave him a pot of coffee and a bottle of wine...could he handle that or is it strictly Apple juice and Hummus at this point....?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »

Think we should all bear in mind that Brian's idea of rock & roll might not be the same as Chuck Berry's or Nick Lowe's.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 06:34:28 AM »

Let's face it, those days are probably over once and for all and in terms of the coke and the cigarettes it's probably better this way... Personally, however, I think that BW's latter-day solo creations really could use a lot more of the man's trademark eccentric humor. Dust off the vintage Moog synth if it helps, it's a beautiful instrument anyway.

We must be realistic. A man with Brian's medical history, at age 68, should really not use coke, cigarettes, and what-have-you to please us fans. I for one would feel like a voyeur, a pimp, or worse, but not a genuine music fan and admirer, if I would secretly harbour that wish.

Moreover, I deeply doubt whether substances would make Brian produce another type of music. At his age, he'd probably do nothing anymore.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 01:49:49 PM »

I do wonder what would happen if you gave him a pot of coffee and a bottle of wine...could he handle that or is it strictly Apple juice and Hummus at this point....?

Scott Bennett talks about Brian coming over to his home studio and having a Corona before working on the demos that would become TLOS.  So it looks like Brian has the odd drink from time to time.  Of course we all remember the "Van Dyke Parks is the biggest butthole!" incident of the mid-90s.  Interesting that Brian drinks from time to time considering his history with alcohol abuse.  Although there are cases of alcoholics taking sabbaticals and then returning as very moderate and safe drinkers.  So who knows?  It did make me smile to think of Scott and Brian havin' a few beers and hangin' out...just bein' boys.  And then creating some fine music.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

I do wonder what would happen if you gave him a pot of coffee and a bottle of wine...could he handle that or is it strictly Apple juice and Hummus at this point....?

Scott Bennett talks about Brian coming over to his home studio and having a Corona before working on the demos that would become TLOS.  So it looks like Brian has the odd drink from time to time.  Of course we all remember the "Van Dyke Parks is the biggest butthole!" incident of the mid-90s.  Interesting that Brian drinks from time to time considering his history with alcohol abuse.  Although there are cases of alcoholics taking sabbaticals and then returning as very moderate and safe drinkers.  So who knows?  It did make me smile to think of Scott and Brian havin' a few beers and hangin' out...just bein' boys.  And then creating some fine music.

While I don't drink it all the time, I think Corona is a nice tasting beer and I don't feel like it's odd at all.  Now if you'd said Woodchuck Cider  or Tsing Tao, that would be odd. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »

This guy said to me once that Brian's new album, the Disney album would be done "in a rock style"..."whatever that means!"??

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »

I'm exceptionally curious as to what will be on this album. When you Wish Upon a Star i think is obvious, and it'll be a nice itnerview point when he can talk about how it inspired Surfer Girl.

Just watch the rest of the album be covers from Pocahontas and the Aristocats.

*insert Shortenin' Bread joke*

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09:11 AM »

I'm exceptionally curious as to what will be on this album. When you Wish Upon a Star i think is obvious, and it'll be a nice itnerview point when he can talk about how it inspired Surfer Girl.

Just watch the rest of the album be covers from Pocahontas and the Aristocats.

*insert Shortenin' Bread joke*

A one hour version of 'Heigh Ho' is a good idea.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:10 AM »

I think "someday my prince will come" would be a natural after "I loves you Porgy"
Miles Davis did well with it, why not BW?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »

Do we really care how much Brian's albums sell, at this point? Most of the public don't know or don't care to learn more about the names "Gershwin" OR "Brian Wilson." At the point, I think his only option for worldwide fame as a solo artist would be to team up with a "current" name, like Santana did in the 90s. That song Santana did with Third Eye Blind or whatever it was sold, but it kind of sucked. I'd rather Brian do his thing and stop worrying about sales. There are lots of good albums that barely sell. There are lots of horrible albums that sell millions. The Gershwin album was good.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »

Do we really care how much Brian's albums sell, at this point? Most of the public don't know or don't care to learn more about the names "Gershwin" OR "Brian Wilson." At the point, I think his only option for worldwide fame as a solo artist would be to team up with a "current" name, like Santana did in the 90s. That song Santana did with Third Eye Blind or whatever it was sold, but it kind of sucked. I'd rather Brian do his thing and stop worrying about sales. There are lots of good albums that barely sell. There are lots of horrible albums that sell millions. The Gershwin album was good.

While Brian may be happy with "good" , any company offering his releases would obviously rather sell millions. 
And since I don't sense Brian/Melinda wanting to handle their own sales/distribution, some middle ground would be the best, if we expect to continue to see product from Brian. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »

But do the companies that sign Brian actually expect/seriously think it's possible that a BW album will be a big seller, a smash, a commercial success? (Yes, BWPS and TLOS charted relatively high but dropped out or into the lower regions of the charts rather quickly.) Have Disney commented on the sales on BWRG?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Disney album doesn't happen. Planning a follow up release that far ahead never goes quite right in the music business. Things change too often.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx