gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:44:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it time to reappraise 15 Big Ones?  (Read 23490 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

I don't remember what Ed was doing, or if he was even there.  I assume (and believe) he was playing lead guitar.

Yes, that is correct.  There were a few songs in those shows where Brian would leave the stage (i.e. Lady Lynda, Everyone's In Love With You, Feel Flows, All This Is That), and Ed would take over the bass for those.

Craig, how many tours was Brian, in effect, the full-time bass player?  I was shocked watching this video seeing that Brian was not just participating in the band, but being an integral part of it.

Basically, from what I can tell, Brian played bass almost exclusively on the tours he was on throughout 1978.  In 1979, he was back on piano.  David Leaf wrote in his book that Brian played bass throughout one show in December '77, so I guess that's where it started.
I saw the Beach Boys in Dec. of 1976 and Brian played bass on several songs, so the transition to Brian as bass player was already underway then.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:16:17 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »

I'm wondering now if there was a precipitating incident or incidents that benched Brian (literally and figuratively) in '78-'79.  The indicators are that it was Carl that instigated it.  '79 was the year he got clean, right?  I wonder if that was part of it, or Brian's commitment to Brotman, or maybe he just declined (or got bored) to the point where he was screwing up the show.

Interesting to think about.  I don't know if the timing pencils out, but I could imagine a scenario where Brian goes off to Brotman, Carl's been looking for an excuse to get him off the bass, and so when he gets back, bam, Ed Carter's on the P-bass, there's your piano, Brian.  Interestingly, Barry Gibb pulled the same thing on his brother at almost exactly the same time, moving Maurice from bass to a usually inaudible rhythm guitar (the ostensible excuse was Maurice's back problems, but it apparently had more to do with his drinking becoming a liability to his playing, and secondarily Barry's desire to use a session-grade player).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:43:40 PM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx