gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:01:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB Interviews do's/don't's  (Read 6124 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:50 AM »

There's still a difference between stealing and adapting.

Where does one draw the line, then? 
Is Looking at Tomorrow, stealing or adapting?
Was My Sweet Lord  theft or adaptation ?

Poor Al is having a rough black Friday ! The board has taken a collective crap on everything he's done for the past 45 years..ouch!

No, Al's cool. He's just not the most original songwriter, but so what? We have a saying here in the Netherlands: "Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht", which means something like "Better stolen well than created badly." Smiley
These two seem, outright thefts rather than bad creations, whether there was conscious thought, or not. 
I'll pass on defining the others

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »

There's still a difference between stealing and adapting.

I know, hence the smiley.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »

Poor Al is having a rough black Friday ! The board has taken a collective crap on everything he's done for the past 45 years..ouch!

No, Al's cool. He's just not the most original songwriter, but so what? We have a saying here in the Netherlands: "Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht", which means something like "Better stolen well than created badly." Smiley

Hey, it's alright, this is the most Al's had our attention since he toured with Brian.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

Interviewing Brian

Don't
I think we all figure that there's a certain amount of topics that Brian has talked about for years and is prolly tired of discussing them, this might go for the other guys, but then again, I think Al and Bruce are just happy to get a little spotlight here and there, no matter the topic.

Past Collaborators on Melinda's merda List- From what I know, it's really just Andy Paley and Joe Thomas. But with the hush hush surrounding those topics, I'm not surprised we don't hear anything about what happen. I guess I'd have to use Melinda as a filter before I talk to Brian.   Roll Eyes

Shortenin' Bread- Ask and see if even Brian knows how many tunes he's recorded that riff in. He'd prolly just go into a version of Metal Beach right then and there.
Are you really sure that Andy Paley is on the sh*t-list such that he couldn't even be mentioned to Brian? He is a pretty major collaborator of Brian's, and he has played with him live since his return to the stage early last decade. Then again, so has Joe Thomas, even after the infamous lawsuit...

- B00ts
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »

Interviewing Brian

Don't
I think we all figure that there's a certain amount of topics that Brian has talked about for years and is prolly tired of discussing them, this might go for the other guys, but then again, I think Al and Bruce are just happy to get a little spotlight here and there, no matter the topic.

Past Collaborators on Melinda's merda List- From what I know, it's really just Andy Paley and Joe Thomas. But with the hush hush surrounding those topics, I'm not surprised we don't hear anything about what happen. I guess I'd have to use Melinda as a filter before I talk to Brian.   Roll Eyes

Shortenin' Bread- Ask and see if even Brian knows how many tunes he's recorded that riff in. He'd prolly just go into a version of Metal Beach right then and there.
Are you really sure that Andy Paley is on the merda-list such that he couldn't even be mentioned to Brian? He is a pretty major collaborator of Brian's, and he has played with him live since his return to the stage early last decade. Then again, so has Joe Thomas, even after the infamous lawsuit...

all i'm sayin is there's something weird with the GIOMH album; if I remember correctly, Andy is just credited to playing on Desert Drive, why didn't he play on other songs he'd collabed with?

then again, i could remember the booklet wrong.
i could be way off.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 02:17:48 AM »

Are you really sure that Andy Paley is on the merda-list such that he couldn't even be mentioned to Brian? He is a pretty major collaborator of Brian's, and he has played with him live since his return to the stage early last decade. Then again, so has Joe Thomas, even after the infamous lawsuit...

More recently, Brian & Andy also collaborated on a Spongebob Squarepants song, "Doin' The Krabby Patty"

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »

all i'm sayin is there's something weird with the GIOMH album; if I remember correctly, Andy is just credited to playing on Desert Drive, why didn't he play on other songs he'd collabed with?

then again, i could remember the booklet wrong.
i could be way off.

"Desert Drive" was recorded fall 2002 - it's also the only track Darian's on, and the only track with the band on the bvs. Strictly speaking, he should also be credited with playing on "Soul Searchin'" as they used the W/P tracks for that, and also for "Saturday Morning...", so that too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »

I was thinking about all the work Andy did with Brian, and how those who got into the BB-world late, like myself (around 2000), we take for granted the tracks that are included on those "rarity" packages were actually released! I always forget those tracks were on various compilations; mostly tribute songs and In My Moondreams...were these tracks just intended to be for those particular albums or was there another idea going around.
I could see In My Moondreams being a part of a Brian/Andy album.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »

Al Jardine is the greatest modern adapter of the classic American songbook. How's that?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

Al Jardine is the greatest modern adapter of the classic American songbook. How's that?

and a great compliment at that.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »

Suggesting Brian Wilson cover Sloop John B, ditching his version of Cotton Fields to produce your own EVEN SLICKER version, recording a few limp as hell 50's rock and roll covers and ripping off other peoples tunes at such a sluggish rate that it takes you nigh on a decade to produce an album with a cover of 'Help Me Rhonda' on it does NOT warrant that claim.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »

Suggesting Brian Wilson cover Sloop John B, ditching his version of Cotton Fields to produce your own EVEN SLICKER version, recording a few limp as hell 50's rock and roll covers and ripping off other peoples tunes at such a sluggish rate that it takes you nigh on a decade to produce an album with a cover of 'Help Me Rhonda' on it does NOT warrant that claim.

In Al's defence: despite of being slick(er) produced, Cottonfields was a big hit in most countries (but - granted - not in the U.S.), as was Lady Lynda in the U.K. and Come go With Me in the States. Not making a quality judgement here, just saying apparently quite some people liked it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »

Cottonfields was a big hit in most countries (but - granted - not in the U.S.)

Yep people seemed to love it over here (in Australia) when Mike & Bruce played it not long ago. In fact as I was walking out I heard people saying "Gee, I wish they would play Cotton Fields again". When they played it it seriously seemed to get the biggest cheer of the whole night. I mean I knew it was a hit over here (I have a feeling it was #1 even?) but I didn't realise people enjoyed it that much.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »

In Al's defence: despite of being slick(er) produced, Cottonfields was a big hit in most countries (but - granted - not in the U.S.), as was Lady Lynda in the U.K. and Come go With Me in the States. Not making a quality judgement here, just saying apparently quite some people liked it.

Cottonfields: I forgot to mention that I don't have a good overview on which version (BW or AJ) was used for the single in each country. I'm pretty sure the BW (20/20) version was used in The Netherlands. But I assume the AJ-version was used in the U.S.

This could be interesting:
Cottonfields was a big hit worldwide, except for the U.S.A.
So IF  the AJ-version of Cottonfields was only released in the U.S., but the rest of the world got the BW-version on 45...
...then I have to rephrase my comment on slicker AJ productions being more successful...  Roll Eyes

I think I have to check out my Cottonfields 45's this evening to listen which version in which country was used.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »

UK 45 release was the 2nd version. That's what was added to the UK Sunflower too. Can you say "sore thumb" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx