gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:36:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Summer Moon (aka The Surfer Moon)  (Read 10299 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

I've never heard this until now. Supposedly it was recorded around 1963, a year after "The Surfer Moon" by Bob and Sheri was recorded and released and before another version of the song was recorded by The Beach Boys.

It's supposedly actress Vickie Kocher singing the lead, along with what sounds like Brian Wilson and maybe Bob Norberg.
Is this thing legit? I never knew Brian recorded another version of the song other than with Norberg and Cheryl Pomeroy and The Beach Boys. I wonder if Brian was trying to get a national hit with it or just thought another female voice would sound better? I don't know if this version is better than the Bob & Sheri version, but maybe it was a demo acetate recorded as a favor for someone or something. And Glen and Hal supposedly played on it? You can hear Brian talking at the beginning. AGD, can you add some info to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmW3mkmVpkY

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »

That's really interesting.  The engineer's voice at the beginning appears to not be Chuck Britz.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »

One thing weird I've noticed - in the early 60s, whenever Brian worked outside of the BBs, he seemed to try create bigger sounding productions than he usually did with the BBs. He'd add horns, strings, and other stuff that was seldom heard on BB records at the time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »

Well... sounds like the same track to me, and the male vocal sounds awfully like Brian, not Bob. And, yes, sounds like an acetate too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »

Sounded to me like "summer " may be crudely overdubbed over "surfer".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:38:01 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »

Sounded to me like "summer " may be crudely overdubbed over "surfer".
Naw. On the sessions for the BB version you can hear Murry reminding Brian that it's now 'Surfer moon', rather than summer, so this must be the original.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

I think this is an overdub of the Bob & Sheri backing track, so this and that predate the BB's version. without the track to hand I couldn't guess whether the BBs version also uses the same backing track.  Given the speed with which the BBs recorded the Surfer Girl album, and the fact that it's the first BBs track to use orchestration, I'd guess it's the same backing track.

AGD'll know, I know he will!  Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »

I think this is an overdub of the Bob & Sheri backing track, so this and that predate the BB's version. without the track to hand I couldn't guess whether the BBs version also uses the same backing track.  Given the speed with which the BBs recorded the Surfer Girl album, and the fact that it's the first BBs track to use orchestration, I'd guess it's the same backing track.

AGD'll know, I know he will!  Smiley

To me this one sounds definitely like the track used for the Beach Boys' version.

Maybe this helps, here's "Surfer moon" with just Brian's vocals (acapella)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2J579aywXI&feature=related

and this seems to be the backing track for Bob & Sherri, which means without strings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyJmS54WHdc&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »

You're right –  I was well out. Bob & Sheri = no strings; BBs = strings. This Vicki Kocher version seems like the BBs only slower and therefore in a lower key.

I apologise - going by my ropey memory again. And listening to the VK version, I can't hear where I thought I'd heard an overdub first time around!

Will have to add memory pills to the daily little blues...

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »

Hearing this version really underscores for me how beautiful Brian's/the BB's vox were.  There's no comparison.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »

And no crickets thrown into the intro either on this one. So Brian re-recorded the Bob & Sheri instrumental track (or added strings) in this version with Vickie Kocher before he used that same track for the Beach Boys version in 1963.

Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3oXExDziqQ

Interesting are the notes by the contributor (gossip411234) that Sheri is her Grandma. And another poster has the 7" record of it. WHAT??? He's playing the original rare 7" Safari 101 vinyl of it?? But it has a crack in it, so that devalues it somewhat. But it's worth big $ !!

I'll tell you later what Brian said to me about Sheri.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

And no crickets thrown into the intro either on this one. So Brian re-recorded the Bob & Sheri instrumental track (or added strings) in this version with Vickie Kocher before he used that same track for the Beach Boys version in 1963.

Look here:

Interesting are the notes by the contributor (gossip411234) that Sheri is her Grandma. And another poster has the 7" record of it. WHAT??? He's playing the original rare 7" Safari 101 vinyl of it?? But it has a crack in it, so that devalues it somewhat. But it's worth big $ !!

Let me guess... he knew her quite well once ?  Roll Eyes

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »

Why are you rolling your eyes, Andrew?  This is serious stuff here.

And yes; Sheri must have been a very attractive woman and she showed her love to Brian.

I wonder if anything came between Brian and Vickie Kocher........

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »

Why are you rolling your eyes, Andrew?  This is serious stuff here.

And yes; Sheri must have been a very attractive woman and she showed her love to Brian.

I wonder if anything came between Brian and Vickie Kocher........

Dennis came between them, as he always did

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »

Lets be careful how we use that verb, now

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »

Lets be careful how we use that verb, now

Did?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »

Look here:

Ya know, I noticed that part about the grandma recording the crickets. I hope that doesn't get out, cuz it might mess with Jodi's book( if she ever finishes it) I'd swear she told me she was the one hanging out the window ( at Brian and Bob's apartment)to record those darn crickets; and to the best of my knowledge, her movie star daughter doesn't have any children...

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:46:10 PM »

Great thread. Well spotted, Mikie!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »

Whatia think of it, Ed?  Who do you think has the better voice, Sheri or Vickie?   Vickie ain't bad looking, eh?

Good points, Bgas.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:39:11 PM by Mikie » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

It's nice to have something 'new' like this and to see people put it in its context. It's why I come to these boards - an all-too rare good thread.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »

Definitely an interesting find.  What I find odd is that since this came before "Surfer Moon," the key is still (in my opinion) too low for a female voice to be singing the high harmony.  It seems like it was written to fit Brian's voice from the start, as opposed to a male/female duet.  If anything, you would think that Brian's version would have been in a lower key than this, not the other way around.  I would suspect that the fact that this particular female singer wasn't a very good one may have had something to do with it - otherwise it just seems like a bad key choice.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »

Definitely an interesting find.  What I find odd is that since this came before "Surfer Moon," ...

Um... given that it's patently the BB track they're singing over, I don't see how this can be.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »

Interesting find Mikie!!!

Note that there are free online tools out there that will allow you to capture the audio from a YouTube video into an MP3 file.  I'd try it, but I'm at work.  Is there anyone out there that can do that to the "Summer Moon" version, and then Perhaps Manage to find a home for it before the BW police have it taken down?   Wink

Lee
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »

I'm surprised no-one's already done that.  Roll Eyes

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »

I'm surprised no-one's already done that.  Roll Eyes

Huh?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: