gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:10:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962-1969  (Read 23999 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »

What is "Honey Get Home"?

Evidently, just a basic track exists.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »

What is "Honey Get Home"?

Evidently, just a basic track exists.

That's kind of vague. It could mean anything. My money says if it's even a shred of an idea from Brian it could be insightful and awesome....'specially if it's about Honey.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

Stand Back - Speak Normally.  That's what the sign said near the call box outside the gate at 10452 Bellagio when I went up to see Brian.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »

Stand Back - Speak Normally.  That's what the sign said near the call box outside the gate at 10452 Bellagio when I went up to see Brian.

Did you?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »

Yeah.  Summer of '76.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:00:02 PM by Mikie » Logged

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »

Hi Mikie...yes that is the list. Carl began doing the liaison work with Capitol shortly after Best of the Beach Boys came out and their promotional muscle went there instead to Pet Sounds. This is just a theory, but I think that Honey Get Home was an early working title for I`d Love Just Once to See You.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »

This isn't based on anything I've been told specifically, and I'm probably talking out of my ass, but I have strong suspicion that there were more differences between the BW Wild Honey and what we got instead than just the track line up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »

For those who wish to do the Sherlock Holmes thing, here's a list of shows & (known) sessions from the period in question:

September   
11 - session: Sloop John B/Help Me, Rhonda/Good Vibrations/California Girls/Surfer
       Girl/God Only Knows/The Letter [Wally Heider]
18 - Smiley Smile album released (Brother)
23 - session: With A Little Help From My Friends
26 - single session: Wild Honey
27 - single session: Wild Honey
29 - session: Bluebirds Over The Mountain [Western]

October
  ? - The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson album released
  4 - Wild Honey session: Aren't You Glad [Wally Heider]
  6 - State Fairgrounds Coliseum, Indianapolis, IN*
        [w/The Box Tops, The Idle Few and The Chosen Few]
  6 - Freedom Hall, Louisville KY*
       [w/The Box Tops, Soul Inc and The Alphabetical Order]
  7 - Cleveland Hall, Cleveland OH
       [2 shows w/The Box Tops, The Ohio Express, King Kirby and The US Male]
  8 - Civic Opera House, Chicago IL [2 shows]

11 - Wild Honey session: untitled song
12 - Wild Honey session: untitled song
14 - Redwood session: Time To Get Alone [Wally Heider] [12]
15 - Redwood session: Time To Get Alone [Wally Heider]
18 - Wild Honey/Wind Chimes single released
25 - Wild Honey session: The Letter/Game Of Love
26 - Wild Honey session: Here Comes The Night/Cool, Cool Water
27 - Wild Honey session: Darlin'/A Thing Or Two/Game of Love [Wally Heider]
28 - Wild Honey session:
       I Was Made To Love Her/Lonely Days/Been 'Way Too Long [Wally Heider]
29 - Wild Honey session: Cool, Cool Water [Wally Heider]
31 - Wild Honey session: Lonely Days [vocals - Wally Heider]

November
  1 - Wild Honey session: Been 'Way Too Long
?? - Wild Honey session: Let The Wind Blow
?? - Wild Honey session: Mama Says [Wally Heider]
?? - Wild Honey session: Aren't You Glad [Wally Heider]
13 - Wild Honey session: I'd Love Just Once To See You [Wally Heider]
14 - Wild Honey session: Country Air [Wally Heider]
15 - Wild Honey session: How She Boogalooed It [Wally Heider]
17 - Masonic Auditorium, Detroit MI [w/Buffalo Springfield, Strawberry Alarm Clock,
       Soul Survivors and The Pickle Brothers (for all November shows) ]
18 - Le Moyne College, Syracuse NY
18 - Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo NY [w/Caesar and His Romans]
19 - Richmond Arena, Richmond VA
19 - Constitution Hall, Washington DC [2 shows]
20 - Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford CT
20 - Fairfield University, Fairfield CT
21 - Westchester County Center, Westchester NY
22 - Penn Theater, Pittsburgh PA [2 shows]
23 - Back Bay Theater, Boston MA
24 - Rhode Island Auditorium, Providence RI
24 - Back Bay Theater, Boston MA*
25 - Military Academy, West Point NY
25 - St Johns University, Jamaica NY
26 - Seton Hall University, South Orange NJ
26 - Civic Center, Baltimore MD
        [Baltimore band Bob Brady & the Concords added for this show only]

28 - Dennis Wilson session: Tune #L [Western]

December
15 - UNICEF Variety Gala, Paris, France
       [w/Lena Horne, Victor Borge, Johnny Halliday, Ravi Shankar, Marlon Brando,
       Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi]

18 - Wild Honey album released
18 - Darlin'/Country Air single released

Whatever happened to change the album from Brian's to the band's did so startlingly rapidly
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:44:27 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »

The way it was explained to me, Brian was devastated after being told he couldn`t use company funds to do production outside The Beach Boys. He essentially withdrew from producing for a period of several months, just playing sessions with the band if he showed up at all.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »

Thats so awesome...I was with ya in spirit...did you get to go in? Eat steak with the maestro?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

Yeah, I went in and it was awesome. I'll tell the story here one of these days.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

Yeah, I went in and it was awesome. I'll tell the story here one of these days.
NOw Now Now Now Now NOW Now Now Now Now Now NOW

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

Doing the Sherlock Holmes bit, we could very, very tentatively place the change of Wild Honey hands at the first two weeks of November--since we don't have any definite dates for those tracks marked ??

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »

Just finished watching this documentary and wanted to add my thoughts.  I liked Bruce's commentary in this documentary.  He really is such a huge Brian fan.  I was particularly struck by his comments of how Brian was such a leader in the studio for his age.  The comment he made of Brian basically trying to wrangle together his group of "wild boys"  to do the sessions just struck me.  As Bruce said, here you had a bunch of young guys with girlfriends, money etc...and in a sense they wanted to hurry up and get out of there (the studio). Here Brian was with this huge responsibility of writing, producing, arranging, getting the guys to sing the parts.  I'm finding it hard to articulate what I am trying to say here.  I guess I am saying that I am (once again) in awe of how young Brian was and what he accomplished.  He really really was such a gifted unique talent.  Yes I know this. sometimes you need a certain slant of light on a well know fact to jar you from your sleepy familiarity of the subject at hand.  Often, I will see a new interview or read a post here on a well know fact and the way it is put or spoken about snaps me to attention and I go "wow, yeah...that's right...isn't that amazing?" lol 

All in all, good documentary.  Also, over the years, the more I read and watch, I can really see why Brian withdrew.  Poor guy could only take so much.  I really believe it was a big "F" you to everybody.  "F" this, I am not doing this anymore.  Can't blame him really. 

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »

Mikie, from documents I had in my old collection that came from Capitol, I have concluded that the Wild Honey that Brian would have finished was quite different than the Wild Honey The group eventually submitted to Capitol. After the Darlin and Time To Get Alone blowout, I have come to the conclusion that, based on the documents I had in Carl`s hand that went to Capitol, along with Capitol`s memoranda in response, that Brother 9003 was the Brian Wild Honey lp, and that Capitol 2859 was finished by the group, with Brian`s occasional participation, with help from the rest of the group. As Bruce points out, Brian was "cooling out" by that time. Anecdotal evidence from David Dalton`s eyewitness account of the Brian of the period in Fish Wrap Magazine supports this conclusion. Wild Honey, as finished was the first evidence of Carl`s slow but sure transition into the leadership of  the group. Evidence from the earlier period would indicate that he took over day to day dealing with Capitol shortly after Best of the  Beach Boys was put out and promoted over Pet Sounds.

I have never heard about a TTGA/Darlin' blowout.  Can anyone explain?  I'm sorry if it's been gone over multiple times before.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »

I have never heard about a TTGA/Darlin' blowout.  Can anyone explain?  I'm sorry if it's been gone over multiple times before.

The short version is that one or more members of the Beach Boys were not happy that Brian was putting his songwriting and production efforts into the group Redwood instead of his own group. Both "Time To Get Alone" and "Darlin'" were initially worked on as material for Redwood who were being groomed as a Brother Records signing (they eventually became Three Dog Night). Eyewitness accounts differ, but Brian was reportedly made to feel like a traitor for giving such good material to others (there's a certain logic behind this when one considers that both "Darlin'" and "Time To Get Alone" are superb commercial compositions and productions, and were worked on in the period that immediately followed some very un-commercial material being thrown together for SMILEY SMILE).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:10:41 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »

On the one hand, you can't blame the Beach Boys for feeling like that - having said that, it's very telling, in my opinion, that Brian deliberately gave his most commercial compositions to another group over his own.  Seems like a very deliberate act of rebellion (for lack of a better word) for a guy that supposedly just wanted to get back to making music with the band again.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »

Just finished watcing this (and the great 1969-82 follow up) and have to echo the comments of others by my disappointment at Bruce Johnston's opinion of Friends.

Each to their own but him saying that Friends shouldn't have been top 1000 (!) has made me question his taste/opinion of his own band! 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »

Just finished watcing this (and the great 1969-82 follow up) and have to echo the comments of others by my disappointment at Bruce Johnston's opinion of Friends.

Each to their own but him saying that Friends shouldn't have been top 1000 (!) has made me question his taste/opinion of his own band! 

I would have thought his continuing membership would have been cause enough for concern....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »

Although I like the album, it is completely uncommercial. A lot of the songs sound like half-ideas that have been fleshed out a little (which probably accounts for the length of the album).
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

It also features some of Brian's most adventurous songwriting. What to make of that? If you play Friends (the track) on a piano, it makes very little sense - the verse shifts key at least 3 times, and you'd never know unless you tried to play it. When A Man Needs A Woman shifts key downwards, which is rare enough. Little Bird has a very weird relationship with the home key. Transcendental Meditations horn arrangement! I hardly think Brian or the band weren't trying

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

I wonder if Brian had retired from the group completely after 1967 that Mike and Bruce's "commercial" album would be "Surfin 1968" with the dated formula. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx