-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 06:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  NANOWRIMO, anyone?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NANOWRIMO, anyone?  (Read 8370 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

Anyone doing this?

www.nanowrimo.org

I should have really warned the uninitiated earlier, but you basically have 1 month to write a 50,000 word novel. Starting today  Grin Been doing it for however long as a cup of tea stays warm and have nearly 2,000 words, so I'm doing okay. It recommends you write 1,667 words a day to get the total, so it's easy to catch up.

Bon writing! Even if it is just me  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »

I could write 1,667 words of fiction a day for a month, no problem... but it would be pretty piss-poor stuff. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see the point of writing by the yard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »

I believe it is designed to get over the lethargy that most people get whilst writing fiction without deadlines - For example, I started writing a book in the summer and got about 3,000 boring words done in about 6 weeks, and i haven't touched it since early September. I started doing this at 2 this afternoon bar a brief pause for dinner, and have already got 4,100 by just winging it with no real planning besides knowing I was going to start writing a book today. (Incidentally, it's somewhat hackneyed Chandler-esque detective fiction that I am trying to liven up by throwing as many stylistic curveballs as I can, but I have 29 more days to remedy this)

I mean, after the month is done I'll have 50,000 words of dubious quality to mould into a proper 'novel' if i so wish, as opposed to my 'grand idea' which i can never get round to finishing because there's no impetus, no matter how arbitrary the actual deadlines are....I was looking for an excuse to write a book anyway, why not this?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »

I once wrote two film scripts in my late teens using a similar style - zero planning and very fast. I just sat down and let the pen take the story wherever it wanted to go. One was a spoof British gangster story (Lock Stock was all the rage at the time) and the other was a comedy slasher that I wrote with the intention of me and my friends filming (we never did).
Everybody I showed them to found them hilarious. For my third effort I began writing a black comedy about "Killer Hillbillies". This time I tried plotting it a little beforehand. Guess what? I hit a block/ran out of steam roughly a third of the way into it!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:30:57 AM »

I believe it is designed to get over the lethargy that most people get whilst writing fiction without deadlines...

OK, see your point, and yes, valid... but it reminds me of all the folk heaping praises on J.K. Rowling because "she's getting kids to actually read", and ignoring the small but important fact that what they're reading is pretty poor, badly written cliched stuff. They be much better off reading Gorey.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:58:51 AM »

It's the written word version of jamming. Besides, that's what the second draft was invented for!

P.S. Am I the only person in the Western World NOT to have read Harry Potter stuff?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:36:51 AM »

OK, see your point, and yes, valid... but it reminds me of all the folk heaping praises on J.K. Rowling because "she's getting kids to actually read", and ignoring the small but important fact that what they're reading is pretty poor, badly written cliched stuff. They be much better off reading Gorey.

... and yet sometimes I'd wish I was clever enough to have thought of writing pretty poor, badly written cliched stuff like that. One can't deny she made a few extra bucks on this.  Roll Eyes

But I understand your point Andrew.

And -
P.S. Am I the only person in the Western World NOT to have read Harry Potter stuff?

Nope, me neither. I'm not much of a reader anyway.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:19 AM »

It's the written word version of jamming. Besides, that's what the second draft was invented for!

I read the first book, just to see what all the fuss was about. My conclusion: nothing. Can't recall the guy's name right now, but I was put in mind of the musician who famously said "Calls himself a lyricist... I could eat Alphabetti Spaghetti and sh*t better lyrics !"

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »

I believe it is designed to get over the lethargy that most people get whilst writing fiction without deadlines...

Oh god, you have no idea. I do English Literature at Uni (a respected London one, no less), and the amount of people who say their favourite book's Harry Potter makes me want to cry. Then again, I doubt whether some of the people on my course actually like literature.
I won't say I haven't read some of them, but I will never read them again.....
I managed to write 4,100 words yesterday. It's ropey, and I have no idea how I'm going to get 45,900 more words out of  it, but reading it back didn't make me want to die, so i'm considering it a step forward. I'm enjoying writing it as well. Have essays looming this month though, so we'll see.....

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »

I read the first chapter of the Sorcerer's Stone back when it first came out...put it down and haven't even touched a Harry Potter book in over 10 years.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »

Putting in a BWesque ''mad genius' character - Yay or nay?

BTW, bar the obvious dreadfulness of what I'm writing, this is hella fun. Just creating whatever the hell you like..... Works much better than the laboured approach of the last thing i tried to write. I'll definitely mould it into something proper when Nov is thru....

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »

Putting in a BWesque ''mad genius' character - Yay or nay?

BTW, bar the obvious dreadfulness of what I'm writing, this is hella fun. Just creating whatever the hell you like..... Works much better than the laboured approach of the last thing i tried to write. I'll definitely mould it into something proper when Nov is thru....

Yay. And he owns a health-food store named 'The Radiant Rutabaga'....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »

My mad scientist character seems to be more of a Conan Doyle freak - Is an amateur Sherlock Holmes, without much of the Wilson in him. Is called Vicesimus Knox, which is a name I saw on a handout for my Romanticism course and couldn't pass up  Grin

I will write Brian in there somewhere, though. There are surfers present, as I have for some reason decided to set the blasted thing in LA.If not Brian, then Dennis. Or maybe Murry  Grin
Hit 13,000 words today. I am getting something approaching a plot, and the people who have seen what I've done so far like it. All things are good. No paranoia about it yet. It is only the first week though, so you might see a breakdown in this thread yet. Watch this space

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »

Hope you make it!

Is there any way, when you finish, we'll be able to read any of it?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:42:46 AM »

I don't know whether the site hosts finished ones, although I'd be happy to stick the doc up here.... This all depends on the next three weeks though....

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:01 AM »

I began a novel this month called "Hack". It's sort of a thriller with a cabbie (Hack) as the protagonist and sort of touches on my voluntaryist/agorist leanings. Whether or not I finish it this month, I do intend to finish it. Best of luck hypehat!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »

And to you too, Grillo!

My progress was stifled yesterday when I realised i was basically regurgitating Ulysses. so on 14,000.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »

Life intervening has made me just over 4,000 words behind schedule. eeek

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »

Life intervening has made me just over 4,000 words behind schedule. eeek
Ahh, don't sweat it. One month or five, if you get a novel done, even if it sucks, you've done more than most people have ever tried. At least that's what i tell myself.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »

6,000 words behind schedule and Brian Wilson, circa 1967, has arrived!  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: