gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:21:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whose idea was it to discofy "Here Comes the Night" in 1979?  (Read 19928 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »

I agree that the 45 edit of HCTN would have worked better on the album. Considering the quality of the tunes written for Bambu, I'm surprised that they just didn't ask Dennis for another song to fill out side 2 of L.A.

Interestingly, at the time Bruce stated that "when" the disco "HCTN" becomes a hit, he would talk Carl into putting THAT version (the 45 edit) on the NEXT album, the same way he talked Brian into putting the hit version of "Rhonda" on "Summer Days" back in '65!  Imagine the outcry now, if BBs fans had to contend with the disco HCTN not only on "LA Light", but also on "KTSA"!!!!!!!  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »

It's not merda. I am not a fan of disco, but the vocals (background and lead) are really fabulous. Some of the best that they ever laid to tape. This and possibly Chasin' The Sky are the last really great and intricate background vocals recorded by the Boys'.

Great point, and I agree with you 100% about the merits of the seldom-mentioned "Chasin' The Sky", but I would say "Where I Belong" from a year later might be the "last really great and intricate background vocals recorded by the Boys"...unless we go all the way to '96 and count the version of "Caroline No" they did with Timothy B. Schmitt and Jimmy Webb!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »

It's not merda. I am not a fan of disco, but the vocals (background and lead) are really fabulous. Some of the best that they ever laid to tape. This and possibly Chasin' The Sky are the last really great and intricate background vocals recorded by the Boys'.

Great point, and I agree with you 100% about the merits of the seldom-mentioned "Chasin' The Sky", but I would say "Where I Belong" from a year later might be the "last really great and intricate background vocals recorded by the Boys"...unless we go all the way to '96 and count the version of "Caroline No" they did with Timothy B. Schmitt and Jimmy Webb!

"Where I Belong" is truly amazing...crystalline vocals by Carl...and I really do like Hear Comes the Night...especially "newly discovered"  in moving my music to mp3 format from CD's...I agree with you Doc!  Disco was best taken in small doses! 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »

I have to go back and re-listen to "Caroline No" on Stars & Stripes. I swear to God, I was so unimpressed with that CD that I don't think I've played it since it was released. Upon those listenings back then, I found nothing redeeming in the lead or background vocals. It was like they were all just going through the motions. I will have to rip "Caroline No" and re-evaluate it based on your post. Thanks!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mtaber
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »

I recoil in horror at the thought of what might have happened if HCTN would have been a monster hit...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »

I agree that the 45 edit of HCTN would have worked better on the album. Considering the quality of the tunes written for Bambu, I'm surprised that they just didn't ask Dennis for another song to fill out side 2 of L.A.

Interestingly, at the time Bruce stated that "when" the disco "HCTN" becomes a hit, he would talk Carl into putting THAT version (the 45 edit) on the NEXT album, the same way he talked Brian into putting the hit version of "Rhonda" on "Summer Days" back in '65!  Imagine the outcry now, if BBs fans had to contend with the disco HCTN not only on "LA Light", but also on "KTSA"!!!!!!!  Smiley

Good God, Craig, are you serious?  Well, this goes a long way to answering my question, then, doesn't it!

"Chasin' The Sky" is cool.  It definitely has "outside writer" written all over it, but I've never minded the Beach Boys' forays into AOR rock, myself, so I think it's kinda cool.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »

I recoil in horror at the thought of what might have happened if HCTN would have been a monster hit...

They would've felt compelled to follow it up with an extended, disco-ized and slightly re-worded version of a more recent Brian classic from Love You: Roller Disco Child  Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

I forgot to mention that another Bambu song WAS considered for L.A. Light..."Time For Bed", which was actually re-recorded (track only, no vocals as far as I know) in a session produced by Bruce and Jim Guercio at Cherokee.  That version has made the rounds on boots as the second of two titled "New Orleans".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »

Discoin' Bread!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 01:12:38 AM »

" Life is too short! " And HCTN is too long.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »

The recut isn't the worst song in the world. It certainly isn't the worst disco song. But, seriously, why did Bruce think it was a good idea to put an 11 minute disco suite in the middle of an album full of low-key, emotional ballads? What the foder does he expect you to do, jump up from your seat and shake your hips for the next 11 minutes and then sit back down for more ballads?

What I find amazing is that for a song entitled "Here Comes The Night" (the remake, not the original) - in the first section about say a dozen measures in, beyond the percussion section (if my counting is correct); the way they "bring up the sound" reminds me more of "dawn" and sunrise, rather than "night coming." 

And, yes, mon cher,  for 11 minutes you can get at least a half mile in, bouncing on the treadmill...Or you can "shake it up, baby."

It is juxtaposed in relation to the ballads but so what! It is sort of neat, and at least it is not the Bee Gees who cornered that market!  Wink 
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »

The recut isn't the worst song in the world. It certainly isn't the worst disco song. But, seriously, why did Bruce think it was a good idea to put an 11 minute disco suite in the middle of an album full of low-key, emotional ballads? What the foder does he expect you to do, jump up from your seat and shake your hips for the next 11 minutes and then sit back down for more ballads?

On vinyl, HCTN opens Side 2 so if you don't fancy 11 minutes of disco, just drop the needle down on the second track. It's a different story on CD.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

On vinyl, HCTN opens Side 2 so if you don't fancy 11 minutes of disco, just drop the needle down on the second track. It's a different story on CD.

You are correct...but in converting the CD's to MP3 for the sake of convenience and delicious portability, I sort of forget which songs belong with which LP, and for me it does not matter at this point...I do like HCTN because it is so "uncharacteristic" of their work style (and makes me sort of giggle when I hear it, for that reason)  and "Winds of Change" and "Where I Belong" just "fills my head" with that voice of Carl...

I do wonder, though,  if anyone knows whether Carl had a cold when he recorded "Goin' South" - he sounds a little congested and nasal...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »

Was Carl even on "Winds of Change?"

I remember my best buddy in grade school loved HCTN because he used to come over and play Stratego all the time.  it was his favorite song to game to.
mtaber
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

Stratego is a great game... I think Carl sings on it...
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »

I can imagine how terrible this song would've sounded in the context of 1979!! But for some reason I have decided that in the context of the music of the last ten years... somehow it almost sounds modern. The music sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on a Daft Punk album (who sample a lot of late 70s/early 80s disco synth funk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4). Not that Daft Punk are my kind of music, but they are very popular and well respected in the 18-30 age bracket. In saying that, there are lots of cheesy parts that tear the song straight back to a bad disco track from a band joining the band wagon too late. The sax solo is lame and Carl's vocals immediately make it sound like a band of men approaching middle age. Sampling and remixing of old songs wasn't really happening in 1979... but this track woulda been so much better if they samples the original vocals and um... made it less crap.

I started this post thinking the song was actually better than most people think it is. I am listening to the track as I am writing this and I am changing my mind.

Whoah, I just hit 8mins30secs and it turned into a disco-polka... genre defying!!  Afro

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »

interesting thought though...could we be headed for an HCTN remix?  There's so many layers of post-modern irony there I'm surprised no one's done it yet.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

interesting thought though...could we be headed for an HCTN remix?  There's so many layers of post-modern irony there I'm surprised no one's done it yet.

could be an interesting project for Pet Shop Boys.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:11 AM »

Not at all. The BBs would've been invited to do the soundtracks for 'Love Boat' and 'Fantasy Island'. Great schmaltzy deesco stuff. Studio 54 would still exist. Disco would still be a viable musical genre.

Instead, we got the horrors of house, dance, trance, and the Love Parade (sic).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »

One of the most tedious things in my archives is 90 minutes of the track for this song, from basic bass-drum-keyboard up to first couple of  layers of vocals (and btw, none of those first layers of vocals are The Beach Boys - Curt used California). Boring... boring... boring.

Brian was in hospital (Brotman, I think) at the time, and of course Dennis would have nothing to do with it.

Besides Curt, do we know who was in California at the time? I'm guessing Joe Chemay (who plays bass on the track and is credited with co-arrangement, but is also a world-class vocalist) and Jon Joyce - those three, along with Bruce, sang on Dennis' POB the year before, and all but Becher sang on Pink Floyd's The Wall a year later.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 11:09:01 PM »

One of the most tedious things in my archives is 90 minutes of the track for this song, from basic bass-drum-keyboard up to first couple of  layers of vocals (and btw, none of those first layers of vocals are The Beach Boys - Curt used California). Boring... boring... boring.

Brian was in hospital (Brotman, I think) at the time, and of course Dennis would have nothing to do with it.
I feel a strong need to hear this. Should I consult a doctor?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »

Here Comes the Night isn't that bad, if you want to hear a once great group try their hand at disco, check out this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMnyTUkWbk

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2015, 01:42:49 AM »

Not at all. The BBs would've been invited to do the soundtracks for 'Love Boat' and 'Fantasy Island'. Great schmaltzy deesco stuff. Studio 54 would still exist. Disco would still be a viable musical genre.

Instead, we got the horrors of house, dance, trance, and the Love Parade (sic).
Thanks. I think Im the only one who actually likes Disco music, and wishes I could go back in time to enjoy a night in Studio 54--the best nightclub of all time.

I dont think one hit song from the Boys wouldve saved it tho. Off the Wall was a successful album with a lot of disco influences and it didnt help. Im sure there were other later successes too.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 01:28:21 AM »

This is kind of off topic, but I wonder what the last "disco" song was?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 01:36:06 AM »

This is kind of off topic, but I wonder what the last "disco" song was?

It never even really died. Just dropped the label and became "dance music", and later a whole bunch of other genres like House, Club music, etc. Thats partly why its so infuriating hearing people say they hate disco nowadays and then they listen to stuff clearly influenced by it that wouldnt be out of place in Studio 54 or 2001 Space Odyssey.

As for the last big song under the disco name...a quick google search brings up Funkytown and Celebration as the big contenders. A lot of people list Off the Wall too. That was probably the last really big, popular disco album Id say.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx