gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:00:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to recognise a Beach Boys afficianado.  (Read 15571 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »

Some who can never pass a record store without going inside and look up the BBs/BW sections. If the variety therein is not meeting his/her demands, a serious public berating of the owner is in order, and executed with lethal precision.

Exactement!

But there is always a chance that there will be some rare "foreign" edition with one "lonely" copy just waiting for me!

And, I am always "gentle" with the store owners... Wink

They can tell a lot about a person by what they listen to...I bet they could write volumes about what customers purchase...  

Hehe. There is at least one shop owner/record fair stall holder whom I (nearly) drove mad with asking for two 'foreign' editions for months. I wonder in which institution he's being taken care of now.

But, s/he has used the time wisely, is now in Hollywood, having  just sold the movie script of "Life as a Record Seller!"   

Casting has already begun! 

I wonder what they will use as the musical score...

"Don't let him take me...and drive me mad!"*   LOL 

("..." denotes one line omitted)*

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »

134. At your wedding, you and your wife pick "Ding Dang" to dance to. It's your song.

And then on the honeymoon night you 'do it' with the "Hard Time" version in the background on repeat!  Grounds for divorce right there................  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »

Some who can never pass a record store without going inside and look up the BBs/BW sections. If the variety therein is not meeting his/her demands, a serious public berating of the owner is in order, and executed with lethal precision.

And (if said nerd doesn't own BB's vinyl), who don't buy anything at first visit, but come and eventually buy out the entire stock of records over a period of months/years as their geekish tendencies win out over financial nous.

As an aside, I just bought CATP and Mt. Vernon & Fairway for a £5!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »

I've tried to get my co-workers to sing the "earth chant" vox form Vegatables... "Ooh-la-hot-tay, ooh-la-hot-tay", "row row row row", then the whistling part, with "eat-a-lot" sung over it. This failed miserably and by no means convinced anyne of Brian's genius...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2010, 12:06:12 AM »

I've tried to get my co-workers to sing the "earth chant" vox form Vegatables... "Ooh-la-hot-tay, ooh-la-hot-tay", "row row row row", then the whistling part, with "eat-a-lot" sung over it. This failed miserably and by no means convinced anyne of Brian's genius...

That means you still got your job?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2010, 02:35:33 AM »

You have a dream wherein you meet Al Jardine. Seriously, this has happened to me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »

You have a dream wherein you meet Al Jardine. Seriously, this has happened to me.

Was the bus on time?

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »

And (if said nerd doesn't own BB's vinyl), who don't buy anything at first visit, but come and eventually buy out the entire stock of records over a period of months/years as their geekish tendencies win out over financial nous.

So true-here in Bath we went from having 3 record shops to one (which now only stocks dance and techno) but there is a guy who runs a record stall every Saturday. And every Saturday I am there hoping for something that isn't Endless Summer or Sunflower.
Unfortunately, I had to break it to the guy that his 'Original 1st Edition' of Surfin' Safari was no such thing-given away buy only the tiniest of details that only a BB Nerd would spot-the vinyl inside contained mostly live tracks, most of which weren't on the album. Let's just say it was reduced by £20 the following week!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »

So true-here in Bath we went from having 3 record shops to one (which now only stocks dance and techno) but there is a guy who runs a record stall every Saturday. And every Saturday I am there hoping for something that isn't Endless Summer or Sunflower.
Unfortunately, I had to break it to the guy that his 'Original 1st Edition' of Surfin' Safari was no such thing-given away buy only the tiniest of details that only a BB Nerd would spot-the vinyl inside contained mostly live tracks, most of which weren't on the album. Let's just say it was reduced by £20 the following week!

So you're sort of a Ralph Nader for the discerning 21th century BBs nutter then?

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2010, 05:34:03 AM »

So you're sort of a Ralph Nader for the discerning 21th century BBs nutter then?

*due to lack of US Presidential candidancy knowledge, goes on Wikipedia*
Not at all-I waited until he dropped it to £5, bought it and hoped it was a missprint which I could then put on Ebay!! Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:27 AM »

*due to lack of US Presidential candidancy knowledge, goes on Wikipedia*
Not at all-I waited until he dropped it to £5, bought it and hoped it was a missprint which I could then put on Ebay!! Smiley

LOL priceless! I mean: GBP 5, that is...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »

Was the bus on time?

I was in his house, in the kitchen. His house was powered by carbon friendly solar power panels and wind turbines. In his garden roamed goats and horses. I swear to you I am not making this up - I really did dream it a few months ago! At least he didn't invite me into the hot tub out back eh?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:48:16 AM by mikes beard » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »

Was the bus on time?

I was in his house, in the kitchen. His house was powered by carbon friendly solar power panels and wind turbines. In his garden roamed goats and horses. I swear to you I am not making this up - I really did dream it a few months ago! At least he didn't invite me into the hot tub out back eh?

Maybe not in YOUR dream...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »

Was the bus on time?

'fess up Bgas.  LOL

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »

Was the bus on time?

'fess up Bgas.  LOL

HA!  Not mine fer sure, but it WAS in your mind, wasn't it...  Wink

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »

What was this thread about again?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »

Was the bus on time?

'fess up Bgas.  LOL

HA!  Not mine fer sure, but it WAS in your mind, wasn't it...  Wink

So Al Jardine has appeared in your dreams too? Has anyone else had a late night vision of Al? Maybe Al is the Freddie Kruger of the Beach Boys world, appearing in fans dreams at will?

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »

Dream about Al? Two nights ago, as a matter of fact. Or, actually, more about his horse than Al.

I came along the beach and saw his house in the distance, noticing that it wasn't so isolated as I thought it would be. It was on a mountain range and was constituted of several brown, wooden cubes with windows facing the sea. I thought I'd go up there to say hi, but as I approached the house, a giant black horse came out of nowhere and hindered me. I tried different methods to go past it, but it wouldn't let me. Suddenly it opened its mouth and put my entire right hand in it and dragged me along. I managed to get loose after a while, but found it the best thing to do not to try to approach the house again.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »

I did my part in proseltysing for The Beach Boys: I included Holland on a disc of music I made for my American history prof. I then went to her office and we chatted about the historical context surrounding the album and we even listened to all of California Saga as well as "Don't Go Neat The Water" and "You Need A Mess Of Help..."! In retrospect, I should have included Surf's Up as well but I neglected to do so at the time as I figured six albums was enough. (The other albums, for the curious, were: Randy Newman - 12 Songs; Sail Away [rather fitting given Brian's intense interest in the album during the Holland period, I thought]; Good Old Boys as well as Nancy Wilson - Something Wonderful and Lee Dorsey - Ride Your Pony/Get Out Of My Life, Woman -- not exactly any sort of tight musical relationship, but all great stuff nonetheless!) I reckon I can foist other stuff upon her if she digs what I gave her that time, haha.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

Dream about Al? Two nights ago, as a matter of fact. Or, actually, more about his horse than Al.

I came along the beach and saw his house in the distance, noticing that it wasn't so isolated as I thought it would be. It was on a mountain range and was constituted of several brown, wooden cubes with windows facing the sea. I thought I'd go up there to say hi, but as I approached the house, a giant black horse came out of nowhere and hindered me. I tried different methods to go past it, but it wouldn't let me. Suddenly it opened its mouth and put my entire right hand in it and dragged me along. I managed to get loose after a while, but found it the best thing to do not to try to approach the house again.

So Al's house is apparently protected by a black horse of doom. Only the pure of heart may pass this four legged sentinel and enter the Jardine Kingdom.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

So Al's house is apparently protected by a black horse of doom. Only the pure of heart may pass this four legged sentinel and enter the Jardine Kingdom.

Next time I get to CA, I'll have to swing by that way, cuz I'm a shoo-in

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »

I bet if you were to ring Al's doorbell it would play Loop De Loop.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »

I had a dream once while camping at Big Sur that I snuck onto Al's ranch and it was a bunch of people (and Al) in his barn in white suits (not unlike his white pimp get-up he wore at Knebworth) holding candles and looking at me with no expressions!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »

Mysterious black horses, errie candlelit gatherings....  they always say it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for!

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

so many al jardine dreams in this thread...
i honestly think that if somebody can name the six primary Beach Boys, they're an aficionado.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx