gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:40:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson..."Me and Charlie, we founded the family".  (Read 19565 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »

Folks, if you want to talk about the use or nonsense of wars, please head towards the Sandbox section. Although hardly a peaceful topic, this IS (or originally was) about DW and Manson...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »

OK will stick to subject. Did anyone here know Squeaky Fromme once marched up to Dennis Wilson's house and demand he turn over all the recordings the Beach Boys had of Manson or she was going to kill him?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »

Did he do it? I would've, especially if squeaky were the messenger (for all sorts of f-ed up reasons!).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

He lied and said he's destroyed all the tapes. Wilson's have a funny habit of doing that don't they?  LOL  The proverable Beach Boys/Mansonophille wet dream is where it's been been for the last 40 years - locked up deep in Capital's vaults, denied by most that even such a thing exists.

As for Squeaky, I'm reading her book at the moment and lets just say that her father could have gave Murry Wilson some tips on how to be a bad parent. The man was a monster.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:56:17 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »

He lied and said he's destroyed all the tapes. Wilson's have a funny habit of doing that don't they?  LOL  The provable Beach Boys/Mansonophille wet dream is where it's been been for the last 40 years - locked up deep in Capital's vaults, denied by most that even such a thing exists.

As for Squeaky, I'm reading her book at the moment and lets just say that her father could have gave Murry Wilson some tips on how to be a bad parent. The man was a monster.
I haven't read the book, but her father is what she says he is, just because? Are there any other eyewitness accounts?
Murry gets a bad rap as a parent, probably largely justified. But he sure did push his boys to greatness.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

Actually I don't think she had any active participation in the book. Sources are from people who knew her. The guy who wrote the book interviewed many of Squeaky's schoolfriends and parents of schoolfriends who mentioned that she would turn up to school black and blue from beatings.

From an early age her father would forbid Squeaky to eat with the rest of the family in the dining room and make her eat her meals alone in the kitchen. He also completely ignored her from the age of 13 to 16. He would not speak to her or answer her. He insisted any form of communication be passed on between her mother. He often forbid her to enter the home and it was only through the kindness of friends she rarely had to sleep on the streets. He would knock her about and although not stated as such, the book strongly implies he was molesting her sexually. By 16 she had slit her wrists once and tried to OD so clearly the poor girl was exceptionally troubled.

Murry pushed his kids to success, Squeaky was pushed into the arms of Manson.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:55:51 PM by mikes beard » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »

The proverable Beach Boys/Mansonophille wet dream is where it's been been for the last 40 years - locked up deep in Capital's vaults, denied by most that even such a thing exists.

Vaults, yes. Capitol, no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »

I wonder just what they sound like. We know Dennis gave "Cease to Exist" the full production works but I'm willing to guess Carl and Brian gave Manson's own recordings more of a "Smiley Smile" feel to them. Has the names for any of the titles ever slipped out? It's probably for the best no one asks me what I'd be willing to do to hear these recordings!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

I wonder just what they sound like. We know Dennis gave "Cease to Exist" the full production works but I'm willing to guess Carl and Brian gave Manson's own recordings more of a "Smiley Smile" feel to them. Has the names for any of the titles ever slipped out? It's probably for the best no one asks me what I'd be willing to do to hear these recordings!!

What would you be willing to do?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »

I said don't ask!!  Wink LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »

Thought experiment: if these tapes would contain hours and hours of pure musical genius, how would you feel whilst hearing them?

I wouldn't feel right, although there have been other examples: Italian composer Gesualdo was quite insane, but highly gifted. When he found out that his wife was cheating on him, he hired a killer who drove a sword to the woman and her lover in one go.

But I like to listen to his works, it's so long ago.

About Spector: I listen to Back To Mono with just the same pleasure as always. Although, of course, he's in jail for murder.

But something tells me that the thought experiment above would not leave me careless at all. Even if the music's great, I would have terrifying images of mutilated bodies in my head.

And you?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »

Thought experiment: if these tapes would contain hours and hours of pure musical genius, how would you feel whilst hearing them?

I wouldn't feel right, although there have been other examples: Italian composer Gesualdo was quite insane, but highly gifted. When he found out that his wife was cheating on him, he hired a killer who drove a sword to the woman and her lover in one go.

But I like to listen to his works, it's so long ago.

About Spector: I listen to Back To Mono with just the same pleasure as always. Although, of course, he's in jail for murder.

But something tells me that the thought experiment above would not leave me careless at all. Even if the music's great, I would have terrifying images of mutilated bodies in my head.

And you?

There's a Manson Lp available somewhere, "Lie";  I wonder if any of those songs were re-recorded  with Brian producing?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

I have Lie and and I think it's very good for a lo/fi recording. Charlie had talent, there's no doubt. He just also happened to be a sick muther. Ex Family member and fellow musician Paul Watkins has said that right up until the arrests, he, Charlie and others were in recording situations with some very happening people. People who have of course have hushed up any involvement they had with Manson whatsoever. I seem able to separate the man from the music. I find it harder to watch any movie with Sharon Tate in to be honest.

Here's a song from "The Family Jams" record. Corny yet beautiful. The whole album has wonderful female harmonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4bSgeYaAaw
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:17:31 PM by mikes beard » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »

Neil Young for one seemed to be very impressed with Charlie's ability to create a song with lyrics on the spot, and continue playing the song and improvising/singing lyrics as long as he wanted. Other musicians agreed with Neil and thought he had some kind of unique talent, while others saw him as a charlatan and a hack, with some talent as a writer.

The other backstories are how many music-biz folks passed on working with Charlie directly, yet out of some kind of favor or obligation referred someone else for the job. And a few of those notable "someone elses" got seriously f***ed up as a result, which is sad.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »

Neil Young does seem to be the only one to admit having dealings with Manson prior to the slaughters. Who knows what Charlie could have sounded like with a decent production job? Phil Kaufman is credited with producing "LIE" but he basically just pressed the record button.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:18:05 PM by mikes beard » Logged

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »

The best interview I ever saw with Manson was done by the excellent Tom Snyder. He knew how to draw the man out, almost to the limit. The main focus at that time was on the heinous acts and interview time goes by quickly. If someone could get to him now, somebody really good, perhaps the focus could be widened to the music angle and what really happened in more detail than the recent TV productions. This may never happen though because I vaguely remember reading that the prison has banned him from any further interviews.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »

My favourite Manson interview is the one with Diane Sawyer. She has a look of absolute disgust and incomprehension on her face throughout it. Charlie's his usual charming self - quote "Look woman, I'm a convict, a rebel, an outlaw. I ain't no Sunday school teacher!"

The most insightful Manson related interview I've seen is the one Susan Atkins did in 1976.

If you want to see something to really make your skin crawl check out this Sandy Good interview, esp her expression around the 2:50 - 2:55 mark. Despite her obvious flaws, I always considered Sandra a hottie, but her face here is the stuff nightmares are made of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCn4cn8ncL4&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:05:52 PM by mikes beard » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »

My favourite Manson interview is the one with Diane Sawyer. She has a look of absolute disgust and incomprehension on her face throughout it. Charlie's his usual charming self - quote "Look woman, I'm a convict, a rebel, an outlaw. I ain't no Sunday school teacher!"

The most insightful Manson related interview I've seen is the one Susan Atkins did in 1976.

If you want to see something to really make your skin crawl check out this Sandy Good interview, esp her expression around the 2:50 - 2:55 mark. Despite her obvious flaws, I always considered Sandra a hottie, but her face here is the stuff nightmares are made of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCn4cn8ncL4&feature=related

I'm always amazed just how many truly looney people there are in this world!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »

Not only that but that the courts considered Sandy sane enough to be out walking the streets! Look again at that trademark vacant stare in her eyes, clearly she took one trip too many and never fully came back.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

Not only that but that the courts considered Sandy sane enough to be out walking the streets! Look again at that trademark vacant stare in her eyes, clearly she took one trip too many and never fully came back.

I think that stare just says she's still on the Charlie trip

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »

A bit of both perhaps? It's sad because ATWA does/did carry a positive message about looking after mother earth and not polluting it. Sandy and Squeaky were also preaching this many years before it became trendy to do so. However, any good intentions is FAR outweighed by the demented bitch's bizarre belief that the Tate/LaBianaca murders were committed as a measure of raising awareness of environmental issues and therefore justified. Killing a pregnant woman and her friends? Protecting the planet and it resources? No, I fail to see the link between the two. Sandy comes across as an idiot whenever she tries to persuade people of this. Sandy has not been heard from in many a year so hopefully she's finally got this crap out of her head.

Back to the Beach Boys- Although now commonly known, at the time of the murders was it public knowledge that they had covered a Manson tune on their last record? Never Learn not to Love was credited solely to Dennis on 20/20. It must have helped that the BB's were not very popular at the time and were selling few records so few people would notice or care. Imagine if at this time they'd been as big as The Doors or CS&N, the media would have had a field day! They should consider it a blessing in disguise that they were yesterday men in 1969 because if they had their likeness beamed on TV next to Manson and the girls everytime they were on the news I don't think their image could ever have recovered from it.

How did the other guys treat Dennis for bringing this filth onto their doorstep? I bet Mike gave him grief about it for years.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:23:46 AM by mikes beard » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »

Back to the Beach Boys- Although now commonly known, at the time of the murders was it public knowledge that they had covered a Manson tune on their last record? Never Learn not to Love was credited solely to Dennis on 20/20. It must have helped that the BB's were not very popular at the time and were selling few records so few people would notice or care. Imagine if at this time they'd been as big as The Doors or CS&N, the media would have had a field day! They should consider it a blessing in disguise that they were yesterday men in 1969 because if they had their likeness beamed on TV next to Manson and the girls everytime they were on the news I don't think their image could ever have recovered from it.

I believe Dennis did mention Manson in a few interviews (one at least) around that time

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »

I believe Dennis did mention Manson in a few interviews (one at least) around that time

Earliest mention was in the famous Rave interview from 1968 (although it may have been published in early 1969) during the course of which Dennis mentioned Charlie as a friend of his, and someone who might be signed to Brother.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »

I wonder if Manson had been signed to Brother would the horrors that followed have been avoided or not?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »

Freaky!! So I turn on the news this morning and the regional show reports that four cosmetics testing companies have been hit with vandalism and violence threatening letters not that far down the road from me! Sandy Good, coming to a town near you.....................

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx