gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:44:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 15 Big Ones
5 - 9 (6.2%)
4 - 22 (15.2%)
3 - 44 (30.3%)
2 - 49 (33.8%)
1 - 17 (11.7%)
0 - 4 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15 Big Ones  (Read 76216 times)
dexyman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 04:07:17 PM »

This is an album that probably disappointed about everybody when it came out.  You had the fans that loved the amazing touring band that had previously released Holland, you had the casual fans that had just gotten back into the Beach Boys courtesy of Endless Summer and you had the Brian worshipers who were hoping for another masterpiece due to all the hype.  15 Big Ones was bound to disappoint with all of the hype it received, I think it was about the worst album they could have released at that moment in time. 

All these years later, though, it doesn't seem so bad.  I love Back Home and Had to Phone Ya, while It's OK and Susie Cincinnati are solid originals.  Among the covers Just Once in My Life is great and I've always been a fan of In the Still of the Night.  A couple of the covers (along with the album cover) are pretty embarrassing and Rock and Roll Music is an unfortunate song to be "the one" that you still hear on the radio today. 

Overall I'd give it a 3, a disappointing follow up to Holland but a good starter for Brian who then turned in noncommercial gems with Love You and Adult Child.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »

you know, i'm listening to this right now, really loud with headphones, and a lot of it sounds really good.. chapel of love sounds great.. listen to it loud!  even blueberry hill shines.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »

I was never real fussy about that record, and I'm not sure why. Maybe its the production.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »

you know, i'm listening to this right now, really loud with headphones, and a lot of it sounds really good.. chapel of love sounds great.. listen to it loud!  even blueberry hill shines.

I've also realized that is how this album must be listened to. Loud, it sounds much better. And crank the bass up too. Palisades Park is my favorite of the covers. "County Fair," "Amusement Parks USA" and "PP" are like a demented little trilogy all using that organ/spoken break.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

I was generous in giving this a 3. Just Once In My Life is absolutely outstanding. It's OK and Had to Phone Ya are good and Blueberry Hill is pretty good. I don't mind the likes of Palisades Park, Chapel of Love, and In the Still of the Night. The rest...sigh...is really bad. I put Susie Cincinnati in its 1970 B side slot on my playlists, so it doesn't count on this album to me.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »

1. Rock And Roll Music 5/10
2. It's OK 8/10
3. Had To Phone Ya 7.5/10
4. Chapel Of Love 6/10
5. Everyone's In Love With You 3.5/10
6. Talk To Me 4.5/10
7. That Same Song 6.5/10
8. TM Song 2/10
9. Palisades Park 7/10
10. Susie Cincinnati 6.5/10
11. A Casual Look 5/10
12. Blueberry Hill 5.5/10
13. Back Home 7.5/10
14. In The Still Of The Night 6/10
15. Just Once In My Life 10/10

Album Rating: 6.03

A discipline daddy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:38 AM »

"Talk to me talk to me...SHE`S MY TALLAHASSEE LASSIE!" Easily my favorite moment on this album.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
nickdunning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »

I was generous in giving this a 3. Just Once In My Life is absolutely outstanding. It's OK and Had to Phone Ya are good and Blueberry Hill is pretty good. I don't mind the likes of Palisades Park, Chapel of Love, and In the Still of the Night. The rest...sigh...is really bad. I put Susie Cincinnati in its 1970 B side slot on my playlists, so it doesn't count on this album to me.

'Just Once In My Life' was a pretty inspired cover to attempt as the original Righteous Brothers version of the song is majorly flawed. The song itself is a stone classic - I'm not sure anyone has recorded a definitive version of it, even up to now.

Best version IMHO is by London band The Action from 1966, which is only a run through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdcgS7EQdo

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

I was goofing through my entire dicography and usually I leave 15BO a wide girth so that I don't hurt myself by listening to it. However I actually liked 'Talk To Me' and 'In The Still Of The Night'. I was furious with myself, but Carl's vocals on TTM and Dennis' hoarse off-key vocals on ITSOTN work very well in my ears. These songs need a remix.

PS I've always enjoyed Had To Phone Ya and Just Once In My Life
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

It gets my vote for the most awful cover in their history.

It is what it is...a mess...but there are some good things (and some truly awful things) to be found if you give it a chance.  In retrospect...they should have ditched the oldies concept...though I know Brian was really crazy about that and gone with all originals.  Secondly, putting Brian in control of production duties was probably a mistake.  As gifted as he was...he'd just spent several years lying in bed.  Surely Carl (or even Dennis) could have done a better job.  There was a lot of potential here...but they botched it.  Sadly typical of this period in the band's history.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »

It gets my vote for the most awful cover in their history.

How did they get permission to use the Olympic Rings Huh

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »

Whoever gave the go-ahead at Warner Brothers should have been fired.  Cheap looking design (I am a graphic designer, btw)...just doesn't bode well for the product inside.  I'd take a generic cover like "Still Cruisin'" over "15 Big Ones".  Honestly, they've had pretty good LP covers since their inception 50 years ago.  "15 Big Ones" stands out as the worst by far.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »

Good songs : Had To Phone Ya, That Same Song, Just Once In My Life.
Decent songs : Back Home, Susie Cincinnat, It's OK, Palisades Park.
Take-it-or-leave-it songs : In The Still Of The Night, Talk To Me.
Bad songs : Rock N' Roll Music, TM Song, Chapel Of Love, Everyone's In Love With You, Blueberry Hill, A Casual Look.

I also think 'Sea Cruise' should've been included.

3 out of 5.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »

"Blueberry Hill" makes me ill!

I just would rather have had an LP of original tunes...even if some were lacking in the quality department than a mash-up of originals with half-baked covers.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

"Blueberry Hill" makes me ill!

I just would rather have had an LP of original tunes...even if some were lacking in the quality department than a mash-up of originals with half-baked covers.
I know what you mean, the first time I listened to MIU/LA twofer, I was in bed, sick....so after that, it just reminded me of that. Wink

And I know what you mean about Blueberry Hill, the beginning that's so basic and simple along with Mike's "tryin to be sly" vocals turned me off, but when everyone joins in, and the "wall of sound/synth" starts up, I really dig it!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

I think I remember reading that Brian was really into the idea of recording "Blueberry Hill".  I was probably being too harsh in my critique...it's actually not as stomach turning as Mike's pompous "Everyone's In Love With You"!  I've always felt that Brian kind of had a p**s-off attitude towards the band at this point.  I don't think he wanted to be there...creating music for the band.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:52 AM »

SIDE B of 15 Big Ones is the single most coolest (yeah..) side of Beach Boys vinyl in the world.... ever. There ain't no other side which I enjoy singing along and playing air-bass to more.
Take that, Wild Honey and Love You (but you're close second and third).

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »

I think I remember reading that Brian was really into the idea of recording "Blueberry Hill".  I was probably being too harsh in my critique...it's actually not as stomach turning as Mike's pompous "Everyone's In Love With You"!  I've always felt that Brian kind of had a p**s-off attitude towards the band at this point.  I don't think he wanted to be there...creating music for the band.

See, I think he did, but he was so scrambled he thought that was the sort of music he should have been making.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »

...it's actually not as stomach turning as Mike's pompous "Everyone's In Love With You"! 

What do you find pompous about Mike's "Everyone's In Love With You"?
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

...it's actually not as stomach turning as Mike's pompous "Everyone's In Love With You"! 

Maybe I should have used the word "preachy".  I don't know...I don't mind the music...but I can only take so much of Mike's pseudo-hippy TM babble (just a personal opinion...and nothing more).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »

Maybe I should have used the word "preachy".  I don't know...I don't mind the music...but I can only take so much of Mike's pseudo-hippy TM babble (just a personal opinion...and nothing more).
I agree with you, its over the top song for a guy who took basic Indian teachings and resold them for thousands of dollars to westerners. The Beatles were right to dump this guy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

I agree with you, its over the top song for a guy who took basic Indian teachings and resold them for thousands of dollars to westerners. The Beatles were right to dump this guy.

According to Mike Love at least, TM has been very beneficial to his life. I believe him.

Anyway, when I first bought 15 Big Ones, I was a lot younger, a brand new BB fan, and I really liked "Everyone's In Love With You". I thought it was about a girl who couldn't find love, couldn't find the right guy. I didn't know much about the Maharishi, or that the Beach Boys and Mike were into TM. I liked the song for a long time; you know, Toni Tenille's part, the melody, even Mike's tender vocal. I saw them perform it live a couple of times; it went over OK. Actually, I thought Brian wrote the music until I read the credits. I still like 15 Big Ones, but my affection for "Everyone's In Love With You" has faded a bit.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »

According to Mike Love at least, TM has been very beneficial to his life. I believe him.

Anyway, when I first bought 15 Big Ones, I was a lot younger, a brand new BB fan, and I really liked "Everyone's In Love With You". I thought it was about a girl who couldn't find love, couldn't find the right guy. I didn't know much about the Maharishi, or that the Beach Boys and Mike were into TM. I liked the song for a long time; you know, Toni Tenille's part, the melody, even Mike's tender vocal. I saw them perform it live a couple of times; it went over OK. Actually, I thought Brian wrote the music until I read the credits. I still like 15 Big Ones, but my affection for "Everyone's In Love With You" has faded a bit.
I bet you loved hearing Brian's falsetto on "in the still of the night" and the rocking "just once in my life". "Its ok" was the perfect song for the mid 1970s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »

I bet you loved hearing Brian's falsetto on "in the still of the night" and the rocking "just once in my life". "Its ok" was the perfect song for the mid 1970s.

My feelings about 15 Big Ones probably echoed most of the people who bought the album in 1976. I loved parts of it and was disappointed at other parts. I still maintain the album is well produced. It's Brian's wall of sound in 1976; his homage to Phil Spector. When he was coaxed back into the Beach Boys, I don't think he had a clue what he wanted to do. So, he reverted to what he knew best - Phil Spector. That's how I hear it anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the tracks; they're fine. The complaints always fall into two areas. First, I get that feeling of, "Why did they choose THAT song to cover". There were SO MANY others to choose from....And second, with some of the lead vocals, it was "What the fu--". But, you know, that's how they sounded at that particular time in Beach Boys' history. And, there was nothing Brian - or any other producer, including Spector - could do about it.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

I kinda wish "It's OK" existed in a more stripped-down Love You version too. That would be a fuckin' stomper!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx