gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:31:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Lord, no...  (Read 17912 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/10/beach-boys-movie.html

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »

"They've acquired the right to the Beach Boys catalogue"; What the heck does that mean?
there's no way Capitol sold it to them, That's their yearly golden goose; does BRI own "the Rights" ? 

As long as they're not "telling the members story" it sounds like it could be fun and a great $$ maker for Brian and Mike.
My only hope is they can get it filmed and released in time for the 50th anniversary.   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »

"They've acquired the right to the Beach Boys catalogue"; What the heck does that mean?
there's no way Capitol sold it to them, That's their yearly golden goose; does BRI own "the Rights" ? 

As long as they're not "telling the members story" it sounds like it could be fun and a great $$ maker for Brian and Mike.
My only hope is they can get it filmed and released in time for the 50th anniversary.   

Forgot to add something - John Stamos is a co-producer.  Thud

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »

Better keep the tape vault tightly secured. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »

Forgot to add something - John Stamos is a co-producer.  Thud

He'll probably get to sing aslong as he wants for the soundtrack. forever,  even.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »

In this case, "acquired rights to the Beach Boys catalogue" would mean that the film producers have been given rights (obviously for a fee) to use the music in their film, as well as subsequent video device/streaming releases.

The article says, "The film is expected to use the band's music."  What is not apparent from that statement is, does this mean the film will use the BB's original recordings, or will the main characters and/or others be performing the songs?  Could be either, or even a combination of the two, but there is a very good chance it's the latter.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »

Good thing the Beach Boys aren't at all popular or hip, so this will do nothing to destroy credibility for them! A silver lining, I say.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »

More from imdb:

http://farm.imdb.com/news/ni4660394/

Fox Wins Beach Boys Musical Bid

Wouldn’t It Be Nice? Deadline and Variety are reporting that Twentieth Century Fox have secured rights to produce a musical based on the music of The Beach Boys.

Susannah Grant (The Soloist, Erin Brockovich) will write the script not about the group, but rather “a storyline with the surf and fun prevalent in the band’s many hits.” Think Mamma Mia!.

Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and John Stamos will produce. The former duo worked on Hairspray as well as Chicago. They are currently working on the Footloose update. All three worked on the TV movie A Raisin in the Sun. I love the Beach Boys and would be down for this.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »

If someone like Todd Haynes was doing this film, it might have some artistic merit...but FOOTLOOSE, MAMMA MIA, fun-in-the-sun theme?

There is no possible way this can be any good!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »

Ooooooh F**k.
 Thud

Not even in my wildest nightmares did I think this could happen....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »

If Stamos is involved, this thing should be very accurate.

Edit: In case anybody thinks I'm serious, I'm not.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:37:20 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

Hey, I'm lookin' forward to it.  Could be a very enjoyable film with some great music.  Could be so-so.  Could be a bust.  But, even if it's a bust, doubtful it could be any worse than some of the worst stuff the BBs, both as a band and individually (well, some of them individually!), have put out.

The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20:46 PM »

Good thing the Beach Boys aren't at all popular or hip, so this will do nothing to destroy credibility for them! A silver lining, I say.

maybe, but it certainly won't help it either. from what has been said so far, they're going to be sticking to the hits. therefore, any interest in the beach boys that this movie creates will end up being an endless summer type of thing, which will just go to further cement their reputation as an oldies band who sings about girls, cars and surfing.

A broken man too tough to cry
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

Hey - at least it won't be about The Beach Boys. So it'll be pretty harmless I guess.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »

If it's gonna be something like High School Musical set to the overdone hits of the Beach Boys, I would no doubt vomit after about 5 minutes of viewing.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »

I can't see me liking it. Mama Mia was cheesy enough, but Mama Mia coupled with Stamos, destroying my fave tunes... that's a rotten Camembert for sure...

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »

Which Beach Boy should get a cameo?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »

This has the possibility of being great. It's going to introduce the music to a whole new fan base, create discussion amongst the core fan base, and open the doors for many more projects. I'm thinking something will happen along the lines of the movie 'Across the Universe'...I havent seen it but I have yet to hear a negative review of it...infact I know people who went to the theater to see it multiple times!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »

This has the possibility of being great. It's going to introduce the music to a whole new fan base, create discussion amongst the core fan base, and open the doors for many more projects. I'm thinking something will happen along the lines of the movie 'Across the Universe'...I havent seen it but I have yet to hear a negative review of it...infact I know people who went to the theater to see it multiple times!

If it's done in the style of 'Across the Universe', I think it will appeal to most people. I've not seen it yet either but countless people have recommended it to me. And likewise, I've never heard a bad review for it. I should rent it one of these nights.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »

think mamma mia! or across the universe.

guys def need to chill, this sounds awesome.  def remove the elitist worries if that's possible. 

also stamos is lobbying for a beach boys Glee episode. 

i applaud stamos for once.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:47:32 PM by Runaways » Logged
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »

I do not think I would mind a Beach Boys version of Across The Universe.

But what song to name such a movie after?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »

Ooooooh F**k.
 Thud

Not even in my wildest nightmares did I think this could happen....

We were warned!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8709.0.html
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »

I do not think I would mind a Beach Boys version of Across The Universe.

But what song to name such a movie after?

I would. Across the Universe was terrible. I only hope that this one has some decent acting/direction/scriptwriting.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

Most of us here are guys so a BB musical is probably not our type of movie. I watched Mama Mia once with the wife and my job was done. She loved it so got the album and DVD later. Maybe this will be the same. We here will hate it but make it a chick flick and it could go nuts.

Good luck to them I say as I am not the target demographic.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx