gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:23:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tonight Show Tonight  (Read 12476 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »

Whoops, didn't see your post Roger Ryan....thanks for the link!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »

On the plus side -- we know he wasn't lip syncing.

On the negative -- he sounded raw.

And the grand piano is silly.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »

Just to restate something here: If the full episode from last night is available, watch the opera performance just before Brian's, it is really quite amazing what this girl can do with her natural voice.

I did miss Taylor with Brian's band last night.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »

i don't know why they keep picking fast paced songs for him to sing on these shows.  that is not where his strong point is. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »

I still think he could've done a good job with "I Got Rhythm" had that been the song played. I mean, sure he gets nervous and shouty, but I think his shouty vocals would've worked better on that song. Plus, I just think it's a less cliche voice and more inventively arranged and well-sun and... overall, more captivating. This was a good performance though, hiccups and all. His vocals could've been mixed higher as well, I thought. Also, the times he did not crack a smile he looked like this emoticon while singing: T_T -- it was sorta cute.

Edit: Or "Nothing But Love". That would've also been a far better choice. I am assuming, of course, that less uptempo stuff -- such as "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "It Ain't Necessarily So" -- while superior material, would not be ideal for a late-night TV spot because... I don't know, people who watch those sorts of programmes haven't much refined emotional sense or something. Who knows.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:56:03 AM by Midnight Special » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

It ain't necessarily so would have been great. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »

Edit: Or "Nothing But Love". That would've also been a far better choice. I am assuming, of course, that less uptempo stuff -- such as "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "It Ain't Necessarily So" -- while superior material, would not be ideal for a late-night TV spot because... I don't know, people who watch those sorts of programmes haven't much refined emotional sense or something. Who knows.

I think you're missing something here...namely, watch this clip starting around 6:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HI9pg3o2GA

And this was right before Brian did his song. The people watching this seemed to be just fine with their emotional sense watching a slow, operatic vocal piece sung in Latin! I think Brian just wasn't as compelling last night as Jackie Evancho, and if I were his management I never would have had Brian follow her onto that stage.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

I'm gonna have to agree with Rerun, he doesn't sound good at all. The band sounds great, but Brian is just off...I don't think this will appeal to anyone but BW/BB fans...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »

that was rough...

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »

The time came a long time ago to stop with the performances on the tube-

1. They usually choose the wrong song.

2. Brian is usually off key.

3. Like last night, he looked like a caged animal-scared to death.

4. This will not sell albums. It will turn people away.

Another bad management decision. Shocked
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »

I'm gonna have to agree with Rerun, he doesn't sound good at all. The band sounds great, but Brian is just off...I don't think this will appeal to anyone but BW/BB fans...

I don't think anything he does, ever, will appeal to anyone but BW/BB fans.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »

That being said, the album jumped like 10 places in the Amazon sales chart today. It's back down now, but it did move.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »

He was really into the TLOS material when I saw him live, and singing VERY well. I don't know if/when he performed "Midnight's Another Day" on television but I think it would have gone over well. That girl is INCREDIBLE! He definitely shouldn't have been following her.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

Oh crap.  That was awful.
The band was good as usual but Brian really had an off night.

Oh crap.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »

Brian Wilson has been playing live and releasing albums for 11 years with this band. For the entire period I have read comments about his live performances, most of them negative.
I'm no Blueboarder but Brian is what he is. The record execs, concert promoters, Lettermans, Lenos understand that. Why don't we?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »

I concur with all the negative posts as YES it was rather shite , but hey we will all be buying our Concert tickets won't we Huh??
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

Yeah, that was pretty rough on Brian's part. Not helped by the fact he was pretty gormless up there. Somewhat depressingly, the backing sounded almost EXACTLY THE SAME as the CD. Even down to the 'Party'esque backing bits during the solo. I mean, jesus.

*Waits til his paycheck arrives as to buy tickets to RFH*  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Brian Wilson has been playing live and releasing albums for 11 years with this band. For the entire period I have read comments about his live performances, most of them negative.
I'm no Blueboarder but Brian is what he is. The record execs, concert promoters, Lettermans, Lenos understand that. Why don't we?

Because he's capable of doing much better, and has done so.

This was Brian just going through the motions...I agree with those who said he couldn't hear himself well. He finished the song pretty well during the "quiet" part, so that kind of bears it out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »

Important distinction to be made here.

Brian's live performances -- in the context of a full show with his band -- are often outstanding. Sometimes they're only okay (and on some tours he's clearly content to go by the numbers), but they're seldom atrocious all the way through. That's why people go. That's why I go. I've never been disappointed by a BW live gig.

Brian's live performances on TV, though, where he plays only one song or one and a half -- are virtually always poor. I'm almost never impressed. This time on Leno is not actually on the lower tier of his TV appearances -- which says something about how bad most of them are.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »

Because he's capable of doing much better, and has done so.

This was Brian just going through the motions...I agree with those who said he couldn't hear himself well. He finished the song pretty well during the "quiet" part, so that kind of bears it out.

That was my thought as well...he seemed like someone not having a great voice night, but couldn't hear himself on top of it.  Especially given that he's only got one good ear in the first place, I would think that having a good monitor in that ear would have helped quite a bit.  At least he looked like he was enjoying himself to some degree, as much as he ever does in his TV appearances anyways.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:17 AM »

Brian's Leno performance = meh.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »

Important distinction to be made here.

Brian's live performances -- in the context of a full show with his band -- are often outstanding. Sometimes they're only okay (and on some tours he's clearly content to go by the numbers), but they're seldom atrocious all the way through. That's why people go. That's why I go. I've never been disappointed by a BW live gig.

Brian's live performances on TV, though, where he plays only one song or one and a half -- are virtually always poor. I'm almost never impressed. This time on Leno is not actually on the lower tier of his TV appearances -- which says something about how bad most of them are.
Best BW TV appearance of recent vintage - doing bvs for Neil Diamond. He was clearly having a complete blast.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »

Give props to Brian's band. They really do so much to carry an otherwise rotten performer.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:38 AM »

to be honest, I've defended Brian over the years amongst whether it's a general BB fan, or a hardcore fan like us...

The GIOMH debacle, accepting a lot of his shouty vocals, defending and finding the best in his performances on and off the record....

but I can only defend what I believe to be something acceptable, and that performance wasn't acceptable, sorry Brian.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »

I thought he sounded rotten.  I would almost guarantee that nobody who saw that performance who wasn't already a BW fan was converted.  Atrocious.

Unfortionately I have to agree.

And I think 'The Like In A Love You' would've been a much better choice.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx