gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:53:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what music is Brian into?  (Read 9663 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »

Gershwin, the Four Freshmen, Rosemary Clooney, Phil Spector, the Beatles and Randy Newman always pop up when you read about Brian's favourite music but which other artists is he known to really enjoy listening to?

I haven't read that many interviews where he elaborates on this and if he get's asked about it he always seems to bring up the same old names. But then again, he may be pretty locked in to specific acts, rarely listening to anything else. Anyone here in the know?

On interesting observation I've had is in my edition of the Todd Gold autobiography - there's a photo of 70s Brian wearing a 'Face the Music'-era Electric Light Orchestra t-shirt.  Smiley

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »

Someone tried to ask about the Kinks during that Facebook Q & A thing. Brian, in his traditional hilarious fashion, went off on a tangent without actually answering the question.

Other than that, I dunno. I think he doesn't like the Who all too much - I remember Pete Townshend being rather crushed by it, he was a big fan of the Beach Boys.

EDIT: He's got to like Bob Dylan. Everyone of the 60s likes Bob Dylan, no exceptions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:31:05 AM by Curtis Leon » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8605.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »

Someone tried to ask about the Kinks during that Facebook Q & A thing. Brian, in his traditional hilarious fashion, went off on a tangent without actually answering the question.

Other than that, I dunno. I think he doesn't like the Who all too much - I remember Pete Townshend being rather crushed by it, he was a big fan of the Beach Boys.

EDIT: He's got to like Bob Dylan. Everyone of the 60s likes Bob Dylan, no exceptions.

Not sure about Townshend, he was rather disparaging towards a lot of BB stuff but Moon was a massive fan and I assume that Daltrey is too considering he narrated the Dennis Wilson radio documentary from 2 years ago.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »

Besides his shout out to them in "I Love L.A." has Newman ever actually said anything substantial about Brian or the Beach Boys? Does he know that Brian listened to Sail Away obsessively while in Holland and that it helped him from sinking further into depression?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »

Not sure about Townshend, he was rather disparaging towards a lot of BB stuff but Moon was a massive fan and I assume that Daltrey is too considering he narrated the Dennis Wilson radio documentary from 2 years ago.

Roger's not only a huge fan, but he & Brian are good friends: Brian stayed at his Sussex farm more than once.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »

Newman's a big fan of Brian's melodies---if you get him to say so---he's not particularly apt to praise anyone under normal circumstances.

Brian said in the FB chat he used to listen to Zappa in the 60s but doesn't anymore. Considering he sang BVs on stage with the Moody Blues on "Ride My See-Saw" I would think he was a bit of a fan, though I could be wrong.

I've alwas wondered if Brian was fond of Neil Young's music and also Roy Orbison?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

So who's gonna say Wishbone Ash?

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »

Norbit: Original Music From the Motion Picture

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »

Besides his shout out to them in "I Love L.A." has Newman ever actually said anything substantial about Brian or the Beach Boys? Does he know that Brian listened to Sail Away obsessively while in Holland and that it helped him from sinking further into depression?

Newman's best friend is Lenny Waronker who we know was excited by Brian's SMiLE-era music, helped get the band signed to Warners in '70 and produced Brian in the late 80s. Even if Newman hated the Beach Boys, I'm sure he's had to hear some praise from Waronker over the years.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

He likes a song called "Be My Baby."
jackstar74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

Be My Baby
Be My Baby
Be My Baby
What A Fool Believes
Let it Be
Be My Baby
Be My Baby
and Be My Baby

oh, and My Obsession by the Rolling Stones
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »

Newman's best friend is Lenny Waronker who we know was excited by Brian's SMiLE-era music, helped get the band signed to Warners in '70 and produced Brian in the late 80s. Even if Newman hated the Beach Boys, I'm sure he's had to hear some praise from Waronker over the years.

Also is connected to Van Dyke Parks - VDP produced his first record (although not very well, i must confess) with Waronker and The Wrecking Crew in 1968.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »

Green Day

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

Be My Baby
Be My Baby
Be My Baby
What A Fool Believes
Let it Be
Be My Baby
Be My Baby
and Be My Baby

oh, and My Obsession by the Rolling Stones

I read in an interview that he couldn't listen to Let it Be anymore because it scared him.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »

He's mentioned liking Frank Sinatra on a few occasions I believe, particularly "Strangers In The Night." 
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »

He's mentioned liking Frank Sinatra on a few occasions I believe, particularly "Strangers In The Night." 

yep, he mentioned it as it being one of his top 3 songs.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »

Also is connected to Van Dyke Parks - VDP produced his first record (although not very well, i must confess) with Waronker and The Wrecking Crew in 1968.

Yeah, it's a really odd album for Randy Newman when you've listened to basically everything that came after it in the 1970s. It's definitely more dated ("overproduced," especially for someone like Randy Newman) than the follow-up not two years later, the night-perfect 12 Songs. Talk about artistic evolution!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »

didn't he mention Aerosmith in a recent interview?

and someone here said he liked Pink Floyd. or Dark Side of the Moon at least...

I wonder if he's a Steely Dan man?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »

While obviously Brian has been through a lot since the mid 70s-interviews from 73 and 74 show that he was pretty up back then on al lot of the music that was going on. I don't think he is (or at least was back then) as myopic as the legends suggest. He knew about plenty of non Phil Spector music back then.  For example in one interview he suggests that he was up on the music of the Fifth Dimension, the Buckinghams and the Four Tops.  He played Curtis Mayfield records from his collection for Richard Williams of Melody Maker.  He also played Twilight Time by the Platters for him and gushed about "I'm So Young" by the Students (which he covered of course)-of which he said "that record took me through senior year in high school."  I am assuming that it was his decision to cover "The Letter" by the Box Tops since he took the lead. He covered "Gimme Some Lovin" by Spencer Davis in the 70s and expressed admiration for that group too.  He is fond of Three Dog Night as well of course and he once gushed about how much he loved Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

he once gushed about how much he loved Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Do you happen to know the source of that? I'd love to read Brian's comment in context.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

I believe he once said he liked Cole Porter a lot

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

Shortnin' Bread
Da Do Ron Ron
That synthesizer Bach album

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

according to wikipedia, Townshend likes their Smiley Smile album, so I'd say he's a fan.

A broken man too tough to cry
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »

according to wikipedia, Townshend likes their Smiley Smile album, so I'd say he's a fan.

Yeah, except that he thought "Good Vibrations" was so overproduced you could hardly recognise the song underneath it all. Even if he does like Smiley Smile, I'm not so sure he's a Beach Boys fan per se.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx