gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:23:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston's idea for a new Brian Wilson album...  (Read 17165 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

This from the man who thought the LA LIGHT album would benefit from a giant disco song right in the middle....
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »

Say what you will about disco, but Here Comes The Night has some of the best vocals that The Beach Boys have ever graced on a record.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

Get B-Dub to sing "a few" classic BBs tunes, eh?  And then (just for the sake of bridge-building of course) bring in Johnstone, Love and Jardine for backing vox?  Maybe do a few shows?

Interesting idea!  I loved Davey Johnstone's backing vocals on the '70s Elton records!  Maybe we could get Nigel Olsson in there as well?

Oops.  LOL

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »

Gershwin covers. Disney covers. Now an idea floating around for an album of duets of old standards? Has the ship sailed on Brian writing new music of his own?
However I could see the benefits of a completely new outside producer, someone who is not a big Brian Wilson fan who can bring a fresh take on Brian's work. Looking back on Bri's solo body of work you can begin to see the cliche of using the "Pet Sounds period" style as the basis for everything he does. The equation for each new release is always Pet Sounds + ? = New record.
Here's my overview of this theory -

Pet Sounds + 80's synth production = BW88
                   + utter shite = Sweet Insanity
                   + elevator muzak = Imagination
                   + Smile = That Lucky Old Sun
                   + Gershwin = Reimagines Gershwin

If Brian does get round to doing a rock record I hope it is with a producer who hasn't got PS on the brain, if not it will just end up as more of the same. I'd love to see what Rick Rubin could do with him.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:32:04 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 03:01:44 AM »

Why do they always want re-recordings on their album ?!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »

Gershwin covers. Disney covers. Now an idea floating around for an album of duets of old standards? Has the ship sailed on Brian writing new music of his own?
However I could see the benefits of a completely new outside producer, someone who is not a big Brian Wilson fan who can bring a fresh take on Brian's work.

Yeah! Like Joe Thomas!

Roll Eyes

I mostly agree with you though. i would rather have a fan producing Brian's records, but someone who likes other things as well - Sean O'Hagan was a bad choice in this respect, as he has 'PS on the Brain' as you put it. The thing is though, Rick Rubin was a huge fan of Johnny Cash, but he has a completely different sensibility of Cash's music than most of the country establishment.

I don't know who I'd like to see produce a new Brian record - Jason Falkner would be cool, he did good things with Daniel Johnston. or David Fridmann, but i can see that becoming a massive failure quite easily. David Sitek would be a really interesting choice - Brian Wilson goes noise rock!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 05:25:30 AM »

However I could see the benefits of a completely new outside producer, someone who is not a big Brian Wilson fan who can bring a fresh take on Brian's work.

Yeah! Like Joe Thomas!

Roll Eyes

I mostly agree with you though. i would rather have a fan producing Brian's records, but someone who likes other things as well - Sean O'Hagan was a bad choice in this respect, as he has 'PS on the Brain' as you put it. The thing is though, Rick Rubin was a huge fan of Johnny Cash, but he has a completely different sensibility of Cash's music than most of the country establishment.

I don't know who I'd like to see produce a new Brian record - Jason Falkner would be cool, he did good things with Daniel Johnston. or David Fridmann, but i can see that becoming a massive failure quite easily. David Sitek would be a really interesting choice - Brian Wilson goes noise rock!

Good call. At the time I thought Sean O'Hagan was a superb choice; now I don't anymore. O'Hagan, with his own band, was sort of a musical curator; I like the Llamas' music, but more as a sort of nice background music. I'd think now that he would have tried to frame new Brian music within the soundscapes of 'Friends', or 'Sunflower', which is never a good starting point for creating new fine music. See it this way: Wishbone Ash are what they are nowadays. They will never create a successful new 'Argus' masterpiece.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »

Yeah! Like Joe Thomas!

Roll Eyes

I think that Jason Lytle, the writer and producer of Grandaddy would make an excellent choice. A synth trippy style. The feeling of Friends, Love You and some punk rock sprinkled in there.

Protected from the Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHu43y4FBo0

MGM the Grand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvoZfVabcog

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »

Is Bruce being serious? He's taken the piss out of the hardcore fans in the past -  remember his tale about burying a H&V acetate in a time capsule beneath a new tower block somewhere?

The guy does have a sense of humour.... then again, didn't he block the release of a concert vid cos he was wearing an un-hip shirt?

Go figure, we're on Planet Beach Boys here...

That H & V acetate time-capsule story I never heard, but, I donated an 8-track Beach Boys tape for a time capsule for my law school in 2000.  The Dean loved it (also a fan) and held it up for some of the students to see the "technology" for music of that era and thought it was cool for their time capsule.  One might draw the analogy that it would be like my seeing  a "Victrola" (which played 78 rpm records, when I was a kid, and which was old technology.  Of course the students (mostly CD babies) thought the 8 track cassette was hilarious and that we must be ancient!

The 8 track was the predecessor of the cassette player and probably the first technology for you to "take your music with you" in your car.  This changed the whole approach to music because you did not have to be glued to your stereo, or record player, and could "zone out" and shut the world out while your were driving.  "In My Room" could become "in my car."    It is an interesting discussion to hear someone talk about using older analog for a more pure sound.  There is  probably a limited group of people who are expert in this area, who have a facility with this method.

"Planet Beach Boys" - I love it!!! Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »

First, Mikie - What kind of tracks are you talking about?  Are they Brian's "solo" tracks?  Or, are they unreleased Beach Boys tracks?

Brian's solo tracks. There's quite a few in the can. I'd really like to see him hook up with Paley again. Those were some real productive sessions, even though much of it was Paley. If he's got some newer stuff ready to go (or even half done) with Scott, Darian, etc., that's good news. If it's true, then he's got a jump on an album that'll hopefully mean something.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »

I'd love to see what Rick Rubin could do with him.

Anyone but Rubin!!

or David Fridmann, but i can see that becoming a massive failure quite easily

Ah, why not Dave Fridmann? He could get Wayne Coyne and the Lips and the guys from MGMT, maybe even his Mercury Rev bandmates to guest on a couple tracks.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

Give Brian a synth, a steak, keep Sir. Von Mertens Esq. away from it and lets have some fun.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

Give Brian a synth, a steak, keep Sir. Von Mertens Esq. away from it and lets have some fun.

I was just going to post something very similar!

Brian Wilson doesn't need a producer. What he needs is a Moog synthesizer and a snare drum. Smokin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »

What's wrong with Paul Mertens? He's good!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:44:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »

What's wrong with Paul Mertens? He's good!

I find his arrangements pure cheese. Plus what kind of dude does a freaking extended flute solo in Caroline No? And wheres a Kimono? I mean come on.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »

Plus what kind of dude does a freaking extended flute solo in Caroline No?

Charles Lloyd.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »

I LOVED it when Brian did the extended "Caroline, No," he almost always did a great job on the vocal.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »

If Brian does get round to doing a rock record I hope it is with a producer who hasn't got PS on the brain, if not it will just end up as more of the same.

I agree -- I'd love to see Brian do a new rock album, without any PS-influenced tracks! The PS-esque tracks on his other albums are the ones I play the least.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

That H & V acetate time-capsule story I never heard, but, I donated an 8-track Beach Boys tape for a time capsule for my law school in 2000.  The Dean loved it (also a fan) and held it up for some of the students to see the "technology" for music of that era and thought it was cool for their time capsule.  One might draw the analogy that it would be like my seeing  a "Victrola" (which played 78 rpm records, when I was a kid, and which was old technology.  Of course the students (mostly CD babies) thought the 8 track cassette was hilarious and that we must be ancient!

The 8 track was the predecessor of the cassette player and probably the first technology for you to "take your music with you" in your car.  This changed the whole approach to music because you did not have to be glued to your stereo, or record player, and could "zone out" and shut the world out while your were driving.  "In My Room" could become "in my car."    It is an interesting discussion to hear someone talk about using older analog for a more pure sound.  There is  probably a limited group of people who are expert in this area, who have a facility with this method.

Small point: probably the first "take your music in the car", was the car record player. Don't think it was a big hit, tho.
then of course there were 4 track tape players, MUNTZ! before there were 8 tracks too.  

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »

If Brian does get round to doing a rock record I hope it is with a producer who hasn't got PS on the brain, if not it will just end up as more of the same.

I agree -- I'd love to see Brian do a new rock album, without any PS-influenced tracks! The PS-esque tracks on his other albums are the ones I play the least.

Yes, By all means; a Brian album without any Brian input.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »

Plus what kind of dude does a freaking extended flute solo in Caroline No?

Charles Lloyd.

was about to reply the same, but you were ahead of me...  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

Small point: probably the first "take your music in the car", was the car record player. Don't think it was a big hit, tho.
then of course there were 4 track tape players, MUNTZ! before there were 8 tracks too.  

Bgas - I never heard of a car record player or a four-track either...Wow! In any event, it was probably unaffordable for me at that time.  By the time I had a "real" job, and a used  VW Bug, having an FM radio was a big deal, as most of them only had AM's factory installed, but they were playing the Boys on the FM stations, more Surf's Up, etc. 

And, I felt like a rich girl when I got an 8 track and could have the Boys on whenever I wanted, and not hostage to the taste and judgment of the DJ's! 

Thanks for that info  Wink   
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »

Yes, By all means; a Brian album without any Brian input.

A Brian Wilson album without any input from the man himself would be pointless agreed - but Pet Sounds wasn't the only good album he ever made. My point was that every person he works with on a solo project ALWAYS tries to make the music somehow connected to the PS mould of songwriting.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »

Brian Wilson doesn't need a producer. What he needs is a Moog synthesizer and a snare drum. Smokin

Effin A!  I'm high fiving you, mentally.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »

My point was that every person he works with on a solo project ALWAYS tries to make the music somehow connected to the PS mould of songwriting.

What if that's just how Brian Wilson sounds?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:01:39 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx