gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:14:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Latest interview with Mike (some reunion content)  (Read 6965 times)
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »

From the local newspaper as promo for the upcoming show in Bloomington, Illinois this Sunday:
http://www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/music/article_024519b6-b06b-11df-bfe1-001cc4c03286.html

Not too much new, although I love this part:

Though Love's publicist requested that he not be asked about Wilson and the reunion, the singer brought up the topic while musing on the 50-year milestone.

He mentions that "Brian and I have had a few conversations about getting together" and seemed a bit more hopeful in casual conversation that something might come of them.

As for Jardine, who left the band in 1998 following Carl's death, "there's a possibility he could join us at the start (of the reunion tour) with Brian."

More mixed signals on the reunion...

Also, it's interesting that they mention Bruce originally hailing from Peoria, Illinois. I have never heard a single mention of this from any Beach Boys historian or Bruce himself (although it's listed on his Wikipedia page, so it must be true, lol). This is a part of Bruce's story that I'd love to know more about. I wonder how much time he spent in Peoria versus California growing up?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:12:53 AM by jiggityjars » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

For those who have trouble reading the blue:

"Though Love's publicist requested that he not be asked about Wilson and the reunion, the singer brought up the topic while musing on the 50-year milestone.

He mentions that "Brian and I have had a few conversations about getting together" and seemed a bit more hopeful in casual conversation that something might come of them.

As for Jardine, who left the band in 1998 following Carl's death, "there's a possibility he could join us at the start (of the reunion tour) with Brian."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

Sorry about that, just changed the blue text to bold instead for readability.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »

Also, it's interesting that they mention Bruce originally hailing from Peoria, Illinois. I have never heard a single mention of this from any Beach Boys historian or Bruce himself (although it's listed on his Wikipedia page, so it must be true, lol).

Errr... um... well...  Embarrassed

That was me started that bit of disinformation back in 1985, in an issue of Beach Boys Stomp, as a joke. Based on the old gag, "but will it sell in Peoria ?"  I was amazed when reference books started picking it up. Bruce knows.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:44:37 PM »

Thanks Andrew. I think you meant "will it play in Peoria?", which is a joke I've heard one too many times growing up around there Smiley

So seriously, he wasn't born in Peoria? And is the adoption story also made up? And "Benjamin Baldwin"?  That sounds fishy to me. Thanks again for any info you can provide. I've been in contact before with the writer of that article, I'm sure he'd like to correct it if he's providing incorrect information.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

They have John Cowsill listed as on Keyboards and no drummer listed in the article.  For the record, for those who haven't seen this touring band, Cowsill stilll sings but is now the drummer .  And , for my ears, one hell of a great drummer for this music.  Overall, as good a drummer as I've seen with this road band over the years.  Mike is right.  This IS a great band.

I wonder sometimes why Brian's band can get raves while Mike's band gets such a cold shoulder..........I'm talking about the band, not Mike per se, or that AL isn't with them, or that its not actually the Beach Boys.....

aside from those issues, this is really a great band led by the original lead singer and cofounder.......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »

brian's band is so spot on when it comes to harmonies and everything.  They get love cause they're really really good
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »

They have John Cowsill listed as on Keyboards and no drummer listed in the article.  For the record, for those who haven't seen this touring band, Cowsill stilll sings but is now the drummer .  And , for my ears, one hell of a great drummer for this music.  Overall, as good a drummer as I've seen with this road band over the years.  Mike is right.  This IS a great band.

I wonder sometimes why Brian's band can get raves while Mike's band gets such a cold shoulder..........I'm talking about the band, not Mike per se, or that AL isn't with them, or that its not actually the Beach Boys.....

aside from those issues, this is really a great band led by the original lead singer and cofounder.......

Yup, I saw them on youtube from about two weeks ago and they were kicking ass.  Very good band, plus Mike still sings most of the 'car songs' so it's a pretty damn accurate version of the band.  Their falsetto guy is pretty good too. 
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

Mike's band is fantastic. Brian's might be on the next level of quality but I have never seen Brian's band rock like Mike's.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »

Didn't Bruce say it himself? 'Brian's band is Tiffanys, & we are Walmart.'

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »

I have never seen Brian's band rock like Mike's.

I have.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

So seriously, he wasn't born in Peoria? And is the adoption story also made up? And "Benjamin Baldwin"?  That sounds fishy to me.

There was an article last summer in the Lake Oconee Living magazine (forget which month exactly, may have been June) with an interview with one of Bruce's half-sisters here in Georgia. Yes, Bruce was adopted and Baldwin was his original last name. He's apparently related to THE Baldwin family in Georgia (think founding fathers of the USA, not modern actors).

And Bruce was born in the metro Chicago area. You do the math.

BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »

Mike's band is fantastic. Brian's might be on the next level of quality but I have never seen Brian's band rock like Mike's.

but actually Al's band is better than both of them!  Especially in terms of actually sounding like the Beach Boys did (imho)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

I think that all 3 bands are great in their own way, and do the music proud!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

The best group is Brian's/ Mike's/ Al's. The most recurring and boring argument of this message board.

Can we just enjoy the three with out feeling the need to justify your choice please?  Thud
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »

I have never seen Brian's band rock like Mike's.

I have.
I haven't! They are good, so don't get me wrong. They are too good in concert. They sound like they are in the studio recording. This worked well for Smile, but for the average Beach Boys set, not so much. The Carl Wilson led band were more punchy and really rocked. I've only seen Mike's band once since Carl's passing, so I won't say much either way about them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »

The best group is Brian's/ Mike's/ Al's. The most recurring and boring argument of this message board.

Can we just enjoy the three with out feeling the need to justify your choice please?  Thud

I actually absolutely love all three groups (although the mike and bruce show I saw suffered from a serious overdose of john stamos...but even that, based on the crowd reaction, I can understand and sympathize with).  I like to make a point of showing my support for Al's band because it seems like it is often left out when people talk about Brian's band vs. mike's band, when all three bands definitely belong in the conversation!! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »

Yeah, but to be fair nobody's ever heard Al's band.  I live in Charlotte, NC.  I doubt Al Jardine has been within 200 miles of Charlotte, NC since he WAS in the Beach Boys.  I've seen Mike's band here years ago, and the closest Brian has got was Atlanta. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:56 PM »

I haven't! They are good, so don't get me wrong. They are too good in concert. They sound like they are in the studio recording. This worked well for Smile, but for the average Beach Boys set, not so much.

Disagree. They have loosened in the past 4-5 years. Certainly from 99-04 they were very precise (although even then they could rock), but they've added more swagger since then.

That being said, I saw the BBs in 97, Al's F&F in 2000 (I think) and Brian several times since then. I've wanted to see Mike's latest group, but haven't managed it. I will say that all three -- at the times I saw them -- gave excellent shows. Mike had the attitude and crowd participation, Brian had the astonishing wall of sound, and Al -- well, Al sounded like The Beach Boys in Concert. Sadly, he also had the most tepid crowd. But to see Ed Carter and all of the 70s band guys -- that was amazing.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »

Hmmmmm....the classic battle of the bands debate. I've gone on and on about the Michael and Bruce band and Al's band, but have surprisingly said little about Brian's...

Brian's band is the most "faithful" as far as trying to match the studio recordings. They've certainly taken the extra steps to be faithful to the recordings, and that's certainly admirable. But they've definitely been an uphill battle. Part of that was the lack of band chemistry in the beginning, part of it was Brian's relative unease in performing live by himself, that is, without the Beach Boys. As musicians, Brian's band ranges from spectacular to merely ok. Jeff, like him or not, still can hit those high notes, and he's a fine guitarist. Scott and Probyn are by far the two most well-rounded musicians in the band by far. They're both excellent guitarists. Scott's a fine drummer and pianist as well. Probyn works great as one-half of the horn section, and he's a decent bassist whenever Brian goes on tour with the six-man group. Darian has the hardest working hair in showbiz, but seriously, the man has arguably the best voice in the band (watch him NAIL Darlin') and he's an excellent pianist. Nick is the other great singer in the band, and also a great guitarist. Mike and Nelson are both great at drums and percussion and both have been in each other's seats. Brett is a good bassist. Taylor is Taylor. Let's be glad she carries a tune.

For those of us who have seen Brian in 1999 or heard the bootlegs from those shows, they were easily the worst of all. The one-two punch of Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl was a very bad move, no doubt influenced by Brian and Melinda's collective adoration of the aforementioned at the time. Todd Sucherman is a fine drummer. Bob Lizik is a great bassist (and has probably the largest hat collection in history). Of course, by the Japanese tour that year, the Illinois contingent and Todd of them were gone, and Todd was replaced by Jim Hines, who had a little more rock 'n roll energy. And of course, they've had the Stockholm Strings 'n Horns on and off. Brian's band has loosened up with each passing year, and the shows, in my opinion, have improved despite a few stumbling blocks (the 2003 North American mini summer tour, the 2005 European summer hits tour, the 2007 European summer hits tour, the 2008 North American/UK summer hits tour, the 2009 European summer hits tour). When I saw Brian twice last year, both shows were, by far, the best I had ever seen of him or the band in concert. The Philadelphia show was certainly a lot of fun with Foskett playfully poking fun at the crowd about the then-soon-to-be 2009 NLCS champions the Philadelphia Phillies, who were in the middle of their series against the Los Angeles Dodgers that night.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »

So it's settled then. Brian's band is the best.  

Mike & Bruce will never be "The Beach Boys" without Al and even Dave. Whatever happened to that requirement that there be a minimum of 3 members before they can call themselves "The Beach Boys"?

Anybody can come up with ex Papa Do Run Run members and call themselves "The Beach Boys". And then we throw in a Cowsill and Mike Love's son and your band is complete. From all counts, Scott Totten is an excellent band leader, though, and demands the best out of everyone. That's good to know. But.........have members of "The Beach Boys" band put out any albums? How many Wondermints and Brian solo albums are out there with Brian's band members writing and playing and singing their butts off?  Quite a few, eh? Has the current incarnation of "The Beach Boys" played Pet Sounds or SMiLE in its entirety? No. So much for playing the artsy fartsy stuff, Mike & Bruce can stick with playing the travelin' jukebox of hits......

Listen to Brian's band play stuff like "Marcella" and tell me they can't rock.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:31:44 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:35 AM »

To me Marcella always sounds constrained when performed by Brian's band, but yes, it does rock. The Beach Boys In Concert version is the definitive performance. That really rocks!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »

Both Marcella and Rhonda rock on the "In Concert" album!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:28:02 AM by Mikie » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »

But they've definitely been an uphill battle. Part of that was the lack of band chemistry in the beginning, part of it was Brian's relative unease in performing live by himself, that is, without the Beach Boys. As musicians, Brian's band ranges from spectacular to merely ok. Jeff, like him or not, still can hit those high notes, and he's a fine guitarist. Scott and Probyn are by far the two most well-rounded musicians in the band by far. They're both excellent guitarists. Scott's a fine drummer and pianist as well. Probyn works great as one-half of the horn section, and he's a decent bassist whenever Brian goes on tour with the six-man group. Darian has the hardest working hair in showbiz, but seriously, the man has arguably the best voice in the band (watch him NAIL Darlin') and he's an excellent pianist. Nick is the other great singer in the band, and also a great guitarist. Mike and Nelson are both great at drums and percussion and both have been in each other's seats. Brett is a good bassist. Taylor is Taylor. Let's be glad she carries a tune.

Yes, I would say that in the beginning, Brian's band had the unique challenge of having to worry about Brian's well being, even to the point of wondering if he'd just walk off stage at any time. It had to be hard for them to relax at first. Plus most of them didn't come together organically. It's funny how you say they range from "spectacular to merely ok," but then proceed to describe nearly all of them in glowing terms. Sounds like you're saying Taylor is the least of them, maybe because she doesn't play an instrument. But I'd say her singing is superb. Some of those Smile parts in particular were tough, and she always sounded spot on.  I'm not a professional musician, but I'd say any band (whether it's Brian's, Mike's, or Al's) that can play and sing that complex music night after night and sound great doing it is excellent.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »

So it's settled then. Brian's band is the best. 

Mike & Bruce will never be "The Beach Boys" without Al and even Dave. Whatever happened to that requirement that there be a minimum of 3 members before they can call themselves "The Beach Boys"?

The clause in the contract used to say there had to be at least one Wilson on stage for the band to be billed as "The Beach Boys": that was revised decades ago.

Anybody can come up with ex Papa Do Run Run members and call themselves "The Beach Boys". And then we throw in a Cowsill and Mike Love's son and your band is complete. From all counts, Scott Totten is an excellent band leader, though, and demands the best out of everyone. That's good to know. But.........have members of "The Beach Boys" band put out any albums? How many Wondermints and Brian solo albums are out there with Brian's band members writing and playing and singing their butts off? 

Well, young Cowsill's been on a few albums with his first band, and with one exception, all the 'Mints albums were released before they signed up. Same for Jeff (whose first BB-related job, btw, was working with Mike & The Endless Summer Beach Band - just think, Mike's partly responsible for everything Brian's done since 1998 !).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx