gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianisms Appreciation Thread  (Read 102768 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »

So I've been flinging questions at the infamous Lorren Daro over the past few weeks, here's a fun bit on The Ism of Brianism:

"He's one of least introspective persons I've ever known. He has taken in the culture around him -- the ideas and the music -- and sculpted them into socially relevant songs. Like Grandma Moses, he just took it in and put it out. That's why Brian has always needed lyricists to organize his observations. In his way, he is like Picasso, not that bright, impulsive, in the moment. It's a Zen take on life -- like your cat -- it's all here in the 'now'. People look for all the 'why's' , but Brian is about the 'what's'..."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »

http://shitbrianwilsonsays.tumblr.com/archive
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

So I've been flinging questions at the infamous Lorren Daro over the past few weeks, here's a fun bit on The Ism of Brianism:

"He's one of least introspective persons I've ever known. He has taken in the culture around him -- the ideas and the music -- and sculpted them into socially relevant songs. Like Grandma Moses, he just took it in and put it out. That's why Brian has always needed lyricists to organize his observations. In his way, he is like Picasso, not that bright, impulsive, in the moment. It's a Zen take on life -- like your cat -- it's all here in the 'now'. People look for all the 'why's' , but Brian is about the 'what's'..."

Interesting. Everyone seems to think Brian is deep and brilliant, but he's saying Brian is just a vessel. I think Brian is clever in his own way, as we've seen from recent events.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »

I think that's ass.

Man, I hate Loren Schwartz (I heard he changed his name because it was Jewish, or something. I'm not sure. If so, f*** him)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »

It was just posted. Thanks to the original poster.

Q: The Beach Boys have made some of the most iconic summer songs ever, but are there any songs that remind you of summer that aren’t by the Beach Boys?

BW: “California Girls” and “Surfin’ USA”!

Q: So there are no good summer songs that you didn’t write?

BW: Not really.

http://jack.radio.com/2012/07/02/qa-brian-wilson-on-beach-boys-tour-next-album-possible-frank-sinatra-tribute/

And another thing I remember. In one of the interviews with the Beach Boys for the reunion (maybe the Charlie Rose one) Brian is asked what his favorite Beach Boys album was. Answer : "Summer days" and "That lucky old sun"  Grin

I thought that was hilarious, especially because Mike was sitting besides him

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »

I'll bet the amount of interviews has really stepped up, and Brian just can't be bothered, lol. 

When an interviewer walks in the room, these are the guys he's presented with:

Which one looks like he might be a bit evasive?  LOL!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »

It was just posted. Thanks to the original poster.

Q: The Beach Boys have made some of the most iconic summer songs ever, but are there any songs that remind you of summer that aren’t by the Beach Boys?

BW: “California Girls” and “Surfin’ USA”!

Q: So there are no good summer songs that you didn’t write?

BW: Not really.

http://jack.radio.com/2012/07/02/qa-brian-wilson-on-beach-boys-tour-next-album-possible-frank-sinatra-tribute/

And another thing I remember. In one of the interviews with the Beach Boys for the reunion (maybe the Charlie Rose one) Brian is asked what his favorite Beach Boys album was. Answer : "Summer days" and "That lucky old sun"  Grin

I thought that was hilarious, especially because Mike was sitting besides him

Well, as I think others have suggested on this board, TLOS would have worked as a Beach Boys record - several of the songs would lend themselves to leads by Mike and Al - and I suppose the main thing that kept it from becoming one was that the fallout from all them lawsuits hadn't quite settled yet.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »

I've always thought this one was great. It was from an interview he did with Alice (president of the Beach Boys fan club BBFUN) back in the early-mid 80s and it appeared in the fan newsletter.

He said he had recently run into Frankie Valli at LAX and he was going on about how Frankie has remained such a great singer over all these years. The way he described it.............

"It's like he's got a clamp on his thing."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »

From a Radio BBC6 interview.

Q: How does it work in the studio ?

BW: (....) You mean after the songs were written or before?

Q: Before

BW: Well, we can't go to the studio 'til we write a song

Q: Hm-hm

Grin Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »

Brian and Stan playing basketball and Brian missing his shots saying: "my shirt tales are in the way." haha

Brian: King of Excuses

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »

Also, Brian trying to paint his house purple when they moved in the new house...those darn neighborhood groups couldn't accept him for his eccentricities.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »

Brianism songs- songs that only Brian Wilson could write:

-Mt. Vernon and Fairway
-Smile
-Til I Die
-incorporating Shortnin bread in numerous songs
-Day in the Life of a Tree
-Funky Pretty
-Bugged at My Old Man
-Solar System
-I just Wasn't Made for These times
-Country Air
-Busy Doin Nothin
-Mike Come Back to LA
-I wanna Pick You Up
-Cool Cool Water
-Lazzy Lizzie
-Too Much Sugar
-Roller Skating Child
-TM Song
-Shelter
-That Same Old Song
-Had to Phone Ya
-You Need a Mess of Help
-At My Window
-He Couldnt get His poor Old Body to Move
-Our Team
-Midnight's Another Day
-Rio Grande
-This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight
-My Solution
-Add Some Music to Your Day
-Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long
-Games two Can Play
-Hey little Tomboy
-Let's Get Together
-Most of Pet Sounds
-Oxygen to the Brain
-Life is For the Living
-Country Feelin
-Diamond Head
-Guess I'm Dumb
-Shyin' Away
-Happy Days
-Water Builds Up
-HELP is on the Way
-One for the Boys
-Second side of Today! except I'm So Young and Bull Session
-Johnny Carson
-Melt Away
-Don't Let Her Know She;s an Angel
-It's Trying to Say
-My Diane
-Punchline
-Lines
-Still I Dream of It
-Sweet Mountain
-Take a Load Off Your Feet
-There's So Many
-Deep Purple (that particular production/version, I know it's a cover)
-Sail Plane Song
-When Girls Get Together
-Stevie
-Good Time
-Everybody Wants to Live
-California Feeling
-Marilyn Rovell
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:36:57 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

Santa Barbara, CA 5/28/12

"Could you stop bouncing the beach balls?  Stop bouncing the beach balls please...."

and

Interviewer. 'Brian, whats going through your mind when you sing I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?'
Brian. 'Nothing, it just comes out of my throat.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VY3zbCt24
Thank God!

Brian: "I don't know what you Ya-Whoo's do at Mikey and Brucie concerts, but this is a concert in 2012...not a Getcha Back video"

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:12 AM »

-Sweet Mountain

Largely the work of David Sandler.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »

-Sweet Mountain

Is that what Brian says? or what David Sandler said?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

-Sweet Mountain

It's what anyone would say who heard the song Sandler wrote for his band before the Spring project. "Sweet Mountain" is mostly based on it.

http://www.glacierdisc.com/tracks/index.html#northernsummer

Scroll down for the sample of the song called "Standing Tall."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »

-Sweet Mountain

It's what anyone would say who heard the song Sandler wrote for his band before the Spring project. "Sweet Mountain" is mostly based on it.

http://www.glacierdisc.com/tracks/index.html#northernsummer

Scroll down for the sample of the song called "Standing Tall."

Sounds somewhat similar, but not enough to convince me that Brian didn't write Sweet Mountain

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »

When you hear the whole song, you'll be convinced.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

When you hear the whole song, you'll be convinced.

If that's the case, then I don't want to hear it. I'm happy in my room thiniking of Sweet Mountain as Brian

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

-Sweet Mountain

Come on, d00d. I had this same argument with someone over "Diamond Head". If Brian never said "I wrote the basis of it" and someone else says "I wrote the basis of it", why be stubborn in saying "NO WAY THIS GUY IS CLEARLY LYING BRIAN WRITES EVERYTHING"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

-Sweet Mountain

Come on, d00d. I had this same argument with someone over "Diamond Head". If Brian never said "I wrote the basis of it" and someone else says "I wrote the basis of it", why be stubborn in saying "NO WAY THIS GUY IS CLEARLY LYING BRIAN WRITES EVERYTHING"?

Folks want credit for Brian's stuff all the time. and of course there's brian changing his tune from one interview to the next to fall back on. but mostly maybe  just cuz.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

-Sweet Mountain

Folks want credit for Brian's stuff all the time. and of course there's brian changing his tune from one interview to the next to fall back on. but mostly maybe  just cuz.

Who? With the exception of Mike who, sans semi-bogus-but-technically-legitimate co-write credits for stuff like "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", actually deserved the co-write credits he asked for, I can't think of any examples, although maybe I missed something.

And Sandler is listed as a co-writer of the song. Brian's involvement in the Spring project was said to be fairly minimal and less than that of Sandler's contributions, so why is it hard to believe that a guy listed as a co-writer wrote the majority or entirety of the song? The clip posted above is proof enough that it was mostly Sandler's work - listen to the entire clip.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:26:49 PM by LETS GO SURFIN NOW EVERYBODYS LEARNIN HOW COME ON A SAFARI W » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

see ^^

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

Don't be ign'ant, bgas. Sad  Huh  Embarrassed  Cry  Undecided

i will lie awake and lie for fun and bake a cake

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

Don't be ign'ant, bgas. Sad  Huh  Embarrassed  Cry  Undecided

i will lie awake and lie for fun and bake a cake

It's so weird, when someone changes their avatar or name, I feel like it's a whole new person.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx