gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:31:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 s**ts on The Beach Boys  (Read 19805 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »

Excuse my language but the 15th greatest artists of all time.

You have to be kidding me

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2010/08/exclusive-vh1-names-the-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-see-the-top-20/1

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »

What are you complaining about? They beat Madonna, isn't that enough?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »

99% of the world poops on the Beach Boys, and I say foda them. When it comes down to it great art cannot be ignored or overshadowed by fads, media, or other, lesser artists.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

But, but ,but, but they're behind Nirvana?  WTF?  Maybe if Mike had blasted himself in the head with a shotgun after "Little Deuce Coupe" they be up a couple of places higher? At least they beat soddin' U2!

...... and if The Beatles get voted No1 (which they will) , please feel free to join me in a collective groan across cyberspace.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:02:46 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »

Part of me is irritated at their placement, the other part of me says 'Hey, at least they got recognized!'

Eh, besides a few good hits, I don't see how Michael Jackson or the Rolling Stones are in the top 5. And NIRVANA!?! Come on VH1! They had two decent hits.....and it was nothing too groundbreaking.

I agree with the Beatles, Led Zep, and definitely Bob Dylan, but jeesh, how the foder did Michael Jackson get on that list!? I mean, granted, grabbing your crotch and moonwalking at the same time during a concert is an amazing feat, but does that really warrant a place on the top 100 artists list?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:23:14 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Matching Quiz

A.      Prancing              1.  U2

B.       Pretentious         2.  Nirvana

C.       Postmortem         3.  Bob Marley

D.       Pot Head              4. Prince
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »

Personally, I am on a mission to spread the Gospel of Brian to all my friends, co-workers, and family. However because of Beatle brainwashing, the un-friendly club music qualities of the Beach Boys, and who knows whatever stereotypes that exist of The Beach Boys, this is an uphill battle. However, I HAVE seen results... because the music does not lie.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »

But, but ,but, but they're behind Nirvana?  WTF?  Maybe if Mike had blasted himself in the head with a shotgun after "Little Deuce Coupe" they be up a couple of places higher? At least they beat soddin' U2!
I agree with the Beatles, Led Zep, and definitely Bob Dylan, but jeesh, how the foder did Michael Jackson get on that list!? I mean, granted, grabbing your crotch and moonwalking at the same time during a concert is an amazing feat, but does that really warrant a place on the top 100 artists list?
Wow...I know the BB should have been rated higher, and I know you guys are upset over it, but those were two of the most musically ignorant posts I have read in a while.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »

I'm more worried about what isn't in the top 20. Os Mutantes, The Moody Blues, Galaxie 500, Love, Stereolab, Lady Gaga....so many great artists left out!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »

I'm more worried about what isn't in the top 20. Os Mutantes, The Moody Blues, Galaxie 500, Love, Stereolab, Lady Gaga....so many great artists left out!

...but these AOR-orientend lists are notorious for their lethality. If you listen all the way through the top-10, you'll die of boredom.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

Arnaldo says :     You are so right global one!
Jason
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »

Well, in my opinion, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Nirvana have no business in the top 20, but that's me. I'd like all of our over-caffeinated fans on this board to remember that this VH1 list is just ONE opinion.

And besides, I thought the 100 Greatest Albums in Rock 'n Roll list was simultaneously better and worse than this list. For one, Pet Sounds was #3, beating every other Beatles album on the list to that point. Nevermind was #2. Revolver was #1. I can dig Revolver as #1 since it is a poll that no doubt had the grubby mitts of Rolling Stone involved in its selection, but Nevermind at #2? THAT is batshit crazy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:05:47 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »

It's not that bad a ranking, usually in a lot of these lists the BBs are missed out altogether.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

Well, in my opinion, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Nirvana have no business in the top 20, but that's me. I'd like all of our over-caffeinated fans on this board to remember that this VH1 list is just ONE opinion.

And besides, I thought the 100 Greatest Albums in Rock 'n Roll list was simultaneously better and worse than this list. For one, Pet Sounds was #3, beating every other Beatles album on the list to that point. Nevermind was #2. Revolver was #1. I can dig Revolver as #1 since it is a poll that no doubt had the grubby mitts of Rolling Stone involved in its selection, but Nevermind at #2? THAT is batshit crazy.

IMHO Nirvana is perhaps the most overrated band of the past 20 years. Only Oasis qualifies also for such a title.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

But, but ,but, but they're behind Nirvana?  WTF?  Maybe if Mike had blasted himself in the head with a shotgun after "Little Deuce Coupe" they be up a couple of places higher? At least they beat soddin' U2!
Wow...I know the BB should have been rated higher, and I know you guys are upset over it, but those were two of the most musically ignorant posts I have read in a while.

Ok, my personal taste got in the way....I recognize MJ's contribution to the pop world. Based on the charts I can see how he is in the top 100 (and sadly the top 5). I don't care for songs like 'Beat It' or 'Thriller' nor do I care for most the music that was inspired by it....it's just not my taste.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »

Only Oasis qualifies also for such a title.

One of the worst bands of all time...

mtaber
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

At least they're ahead of Wishbone Ash...
Paulos
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »

IMHO Nirvana is perhaps the most overrated band of the past 20 years. Only Oasis qualifies also for such a title.

I hear that, how that shower of Mancunian primates ever sold one record is beyond me. Liam Gallagher has got to be THE worst frontman of all time and possibly worst singer of all time into the bargain. I'm surrounded by morons where I work who constantly refer to them as the best band ever, unbelievable.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

Hey!! Don't be dissing Oasis...or at least not What's The Story Morning Glory? You can crap the rest of their catalog all you want!! LOL LOL

Now everybody, sing along now! "Sheee's electric. She's in a fam-a-lee full of eccentrics..."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:37:36 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »

Hey!! Don't be dissing Oasis...or at least not What's The Story Morning Glory? You can crap the rest of their catalog all you want!! LOL LOL

Now everybody, sing along now! "Sheee's electric. She's in a fam-a-lee full of eccentrics..."

I'll take Led Zeppelin over Oasis anyday..... Wink

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »

You may think Oasis was bad, but where were you when we were getting high? Have you ever listened to Oasis during a champagne supernova?
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

I couldn't agree more, on both fronts.  Nirvana had two gigantic hits.  One was a ripoff of Killing Joke, and the other was heavily influenced by The Pixies (a far superior band).  Never understood why they got so friggin huge.  Still don't.  

As for Oasis, they weren't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Blur (imo).  

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Jason
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »

Nirvana, like the Beatles, were the right band at the right time.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »

I'll take Led Zeppelin over Oasis anyday..... Wink
Tomato tomotto Grin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

Nirvana, like the Beatles, were the right band at the right time.

At least they turned people on to The Vaselines.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx