gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:12:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93330 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »

Speaking of the Everly Brothers, whom I love, my personal favorite song of theirs is 'Cathy's Clown'. Dunno whether you've heard that one, RangeRover, but if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvKAWiU_cQ We're gonna convert you yet, i think!

I adore the Brian and Mike's version of 'Devoted to You' and always appreciated Capitol or whoever idea it was putting the non-party overdub mix on Hawthorne, California.
Wow, really? Cathy's Clown is your personal favorite? Well, to me it's the other way around. Can't stand their long "Don't want your looooooooooove anymoooore?" etc. howls. Generally, the whole melody isn't to my liking. But I respect your (& others') taste, Summer_Days.   

You are a true original! I don't think I've heard anybody say that they didn't like the Everly's before let alone refer to their singing as howling.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »

Speaking of the Everly Brothers, whom I love, my personal favorite song of theirs is 'Cathy's Clown'. Dunno whether you've heard that one, RangeRover, but if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvKAWiU_cQ We're gonna convert you yet, i think!

I adore the Brian and Mike's version of 'Devoted to You' and always appreciated Capitol or whoever idea it was putting the non-party overdub mix on Hawthorne, California.
Wow, really? Cathy's Clown is your personal favorite? Well, to me it's the other way around. Can't stand their long "Don't want your looooooooooove anymoooore?" etc. howls. Generally, the whole melody isn't to my liking. But I respect your (& others') taste, Summer_Days.   

You are a true original!  

That's a nice way of putting it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 04, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »

Changes by Bowie with Carl on lead. Each time I hear that chorus, I want so badly to be hit with a wall of a '71 BB harmony.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 04, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »

anyone here think this would have been a good cover song for the "So Tough" album?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtNQvt99P2w
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2012, 04:03:58 AM »

Harry Nilsson, covering three Everly Brothers tunes at the same time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwUvGgAL0k

And my personal favourite Everly cover, by The Persuasions!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamL-QU8fZI

Not liking the everly brothers is mental. Every one of their songs listed by everyone else is a stone cold jam.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

I'm convinced that the definitive version of "Fat Bottomed Girls" was recorded around 1979 with Brian Wilson on lead vocals. It's like it was written for 1970's smokey-Brian to sing. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to bootleg things from my mental recesses. :/
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »

Donovan's Epistle to Dippy with the Boys harmonies taking over the horn and string parts.  Carl on lead.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

ha, beach boys singing hot hot heat, that is a wild thought.

anyway, i wish they did "he's a rebel".  the morning benders (RIP), did a cover of the tune similar to Party. and it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDirKYEotwQ
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »

I was listening to some Randy Newman and though I had a tough time picturing full Beach Boys arrangements of the songs I can easily picture Bruce Johnston doing "Simon Smith  and The Amazing Dancing Bear" and "You Can Leave Your Hat On" sounds like it was made for (1970's) Dennis to sing.

Mike Love & Van Dyke Parks - "You've Got a Friend in Me" er, maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:10:09 AM by modestmaus » Logged
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4DhrE83tA  maybe too loose and funky for the boys by '72 but i think the holland line up could have made a decent run at it.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »

I wish they'd finished Walk On By-that combination of Brian's high falsetto and Dennis' earthy vocal just kills me-that is one of the best unreleased bits-a shame it just cuts off.  Really haunting...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »

Yeah, for real. The last little bit with Mike (and probably others?) joining in is so weird but awesome!
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »

1967 Brian Wilson and the boys singing I shall be released by the band. Brians falsetto as opposed to Richard Manuel would be interesting to me!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »

I don't know if I'm serious about this.... but I think a whole album of Americana songs would have been great.  Stephen Foster, "Beautiful Dreamer" etc.  Mostly acapella, where it counts.

It would have been hokey / out of step for the late 60s, early 70s / and probably a bad seller.  But as such, it would have blown minds.

My Country Tis of Thee
America
Old Man River
You Were My Sunshine (SMiLE-like, but longer... more harmonies)
Beautiful Dreamer
This Land Is Your Land

...and I don't know what else.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »

That would have been such a bad move for them. Incorporating Americana influences within an album of contemporary pop/rock (as SMiLE attempted to do) was a pretty hip and bold statement. Flat out covering traditionals would have lumped them in a bag that they might never have recovered from.

I'd like to have heard them cover some tragically-obscure sunshine pop in the late 60s. Not sure specifically which songs, I'll have a think!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

I want so bad to hear Dennis and his brothers rip into "Bewitched" by Beat Happening (Jamboree, 1988), Love You-style -- the song already has a nasty, primitive groove that would fit the BBs's style 'round then!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

That would have been such a bad move for them. Incorporating Americana influences within an album of contemporary pop/rock (as SMiLE attempted to do) was a pretty hip and bold statement. Flat out covering traditionals would have lumped them in a bag that they might never have recovered from.

That's why I'm not sure I'm serious about it.  It could have been counter/counter culture... or just plain square.  I was thinking it would have had a mournful edge to it.  With complex, dense vocal arrangements similar to their cut of The Lord's Prayer.  Incredible stuff.  And probably would have made a lot of soundtracks at the time.

I'd like to have heard them cover some tragically-obscure sunshine pop in the late 60s. Not sure specifically which songs, I'll have a think!

Like what bands?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »

"I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

I would not have minded one bit if they recorded more stuff like "Michael, Row That Boat Ashore", if that's the sort of thing you mean, EH.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »

That's why I'm not sure I'm serious about it.  It could have been counter/counter culture... or just plain square.  I was thinking it would have had a mournful edge to it.  With complex, dense vocal arrangements similar to their cut of The Lord's Prayer.  Incredible stuff.  And probably would have made a lot of soundtracks at the time.

Like what bands?

Later works (not the hits, though) of groups and artists like The Tokens, The Four Seasons, Del Shannon. The Critters. The Cyrkle. Many others who never had a hit, just one off releases (see: The Coastliners - I See Me), which could have been given a good treatment by The Beach Boys.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »

None have ever jumped out at me, which is why I never posted in this thread until now.  I just heard "Two Hearts", originally recorded by Carole King and Graham Nash and there's a Beach Boys song if I ever heard one!  Do yourself a favor and check it out if you aren't already familiar with it.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »

Ridin the Storm Out REO Speedwagon
rogerlancelot
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2013, 01:57:45 AM »

"Sweet Transvestite" from Rocky Horror Picture Show featuring a Dennis lead vocal from 15 Big Ones sessions would have made an interesting track.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »

Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" with Mike Love in smartass mode on lead vocal.

Re EVERLYS: ROOTS (1968) was a mighty fine album.

Random Connection: Zevon once played piano for Phil and Don. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:54:16 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

"Who can teach a songbird how to sing" by The Cowsills.

It would be perfect for Carl on lead.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:05:29 PM by Sunflowerpet » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx