gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:18:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93417 times)
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

3rd Stone from the Sun
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

All the talk in another thread about Rag Mama Rag got me thinking about The Band.

I think The Beach Boys could have done a killer rendition of "In A Station" (Wild Honey/Friends era).

This has to be the best cover suggestion I've ever heard! That song handled by Brian c. Time To Get Alone would be pure pop perfection. Just imagining what Brian would've done with the the "Can't we have something to feel" bit makes my head spin!

Smokin

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Jason
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »

"f*** The Pain Away" by Peaches. Imagine she and Michael having a duet on that one. And add in some sleigh bells, bass harmonica, Coke bottles, and farting Moog synthesizers. #1 hit. I can smell it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:26 PM »

That still wouldn't be as disturbing as what Mike sings in "Hey Little Tomboy".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »

"Set Out Running" by Neko Case! Yeah, it was released in 2000 but some of y'all had anachronistic choices too, so I'm sticking with it! I could see someone like Mike singing the verses with Carl coming in to help on the chorus-type bits and Brian with Dennis doing lovely background vocals -- and obviously I'm thinking Holland-era Beach Boys here, because this song demands that.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »

'constellations' by jack johnson....seems like a good Friends type song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »

Old Dirt Road by Lennon would be real nice if you had Carl singing it....

Then again, I swear most of the choices on this thread are justified by 'It'd be real nice if you had Carl singing it', so I don't know  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2011, 04:01:35 AM »

Sorry to bump this thread but I was thinking the other day, a great song for 80's Beach Boys to cover would have been "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles, that bit at around 2:25 until the end made me realise this, would have been a great latter day group vocal for them. I could hear them doing this, honestly don't think it would have sounded out of place on BB85 (Even if the actual track was from 88, but humor me here  LOL). Would have been like "She Believes In Love Again" but better.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

… could have done an amazing cover of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

According to Napster-era MP3 files, they did the original.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »

"I Can't Find the Time To Tell You" by Orphius

"We Gotta Get You a Woman"; "Be Nice to Me"; "I Saw the Light"; "Hello It's Me" by Todd Rungreen

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »

Moon In My Bed by Paul Kelly
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2011, 07:02:39 PM »

Ramones' Beat On The Brat. Nasal wonderland.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »

Surfin` Biiiirrrrrddd uhguckccchhhglccchblggcchh with Mike doing the "bird" voice!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »

REM's -   Don't Go Back (To Rockville)
This is what   Stars and Stripes Vol 1  should have sounded like!

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »

Shiny Happy People by REM/Kate Pierson...I loved the song...couldn't stand the vocals!  And this is coming from a B-52s fan!
nickdunning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »

I mentioned this in another post but: This Could Be The Night by The Modern Folk Quartet. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's basically Phil Spector's attempt to produce a Beach Boys style record and it's fabulous. Whether the boys could've topped the original is questionable as Spector's production is incredibe, but vocally I'd have loved to have heard them give it a try.

Conversely I would give my right arm to hear some of Spector's girl groups singing tracks (or the whole of) Pet Sounds, plus Spector producing it.

Lovely call. TCBTN was done by Brian Wilson (I have it on '21 Little Ones', or rather, I don't have it on that one that I don't have either); but that is too thin, soundwise. The Boys could have done it in a gorgeous way. However, Spector's steel guitar trickery can't be surpassed, IMHO. BTW, I have a cover of TCBTN on a Spector tribute album, 'Bionic Gold', produced by Jon Tiven, on some super-rare indie label. It's a great, great album, and one Vince Whirlwind, aged 17 then, does TCBTN. I fell in love with it when I was 19 myself, and it never left me since. The rhythm is changed considerably (slowed down), and all kinds of spanish guitar and mandolin sounds adorn this thing of beauty. It realizes the lyrical content of the song in full: the musings of a boy/man who's expecting his first sexual encounter with a girl he's been dating for some time. As far as I know, the LP never reached CD status.

Hmmm... imagine the Ronettes doing 'That's Not Me'.... my current fave is 'When I Saw You' by them. Stunning. Uplifting. The lot.

I've got the thought of Ronnie Spector singing 'You Still Believe In Me' here. Sexiest voice in rock and roll. Bless her.

I'm still imagining the Beach Boys doing Paul McCartney's 'Back Seat Of My Car', I can just hear Dennis on the 'But listen to her daddy's song' bit. Wonderful.
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »

Zombies-Care of Cell 44
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:41:39 AM by exposedbrain » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »

I mentioned this in another post but: This Could Be The Night by The Modern Folk Quartet. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's basically Phil Spector's attempt to produce a Beach Boys style record and it's fabulous. Whether the boys could've topped the original is questionable as Spector's production is incredibe, but vocally I'd have loved to have heard them give it a try.

Conversely I would give my right arm to hear some of Spector's girl groups singing tracks (or the whole of) Pet Sounds, plus Spector producing it.

Lovely call. TCBTN was done by Brian Wilson (I have it on '21 Little Ones', or rather, I don't have it on that one that I don't have either); but that is too thin, soundwise. The Boys could have done it in a gorgeous way. However, Spector's steel guitar trickery can't be surpassed, IMHO. BTW, I have a cover of TCBTN on a Spector tribute album, 'Bionic Gold', produced by Jon Tiven, on some super-rare indie label. It's a great, great album, and one Vince Whirlwind, aged 17 then, does TCBTN. I fell in love with it when I was 19 myself, and it never left me since. The rhythm is changed considerably (slowed down), and all kinds of spanish guitar and mandolin sounds adorn this thing of beauty. It realizes the lyrical content of the song in full: the musings of a boy/man who's expecting his first sexual encounter with a girl he's been dating for some time. As far as I know, the LP never reached CD status.

Hmmm... imagine the Ronettes doing 'That's Not Me'.... my current fave is 'When I Saw You' by them. Stunning. Uplifting. The lot.

You can download the Brian version of TCBTN from I-Tunes 80c or thereabouts!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

Is this the thread where I mentioned a mid-60s production of "California Dreamin'" by the Beach Boys would've been Gosh darn heavenly? And then got into an argument with people because I called the 80s version lacking and cheesy? If so, sry. If not, then that'd be my pick. It was like made for them to sing in those days imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2011, 08:48:22 PM »

I'm listening to volume one of The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs and my god would "The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side" be an amazing Beach Boys song -- think of the end where Merritt sings in the upper register (well, for him, I guess) but as a Brian falsetto! (Obviously the lyrics would have to be changed to as to preserve the California feelin's.) I think due to the lyrics being as quirky as Brian's late-period stuff that it would fit well on something like Friends or, to cheat a bit, 20/20 but I think it could just as easily work out as a monstrous mid-'60s stomper. A lot of the songs on this collection remind me of Brian's more idiosyncratic, day-in-the-life songwriting. Has Merritt ever said he was a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan, anyway? I have no reason to think he is, but it'd be neat if he was, haha.
I missed this post until now.

It's a common misconception that all the male vocals on 69 Love Songs are sung by Stephin Merritt. About a third of the songs are by other singers, "The Luckiest Guy On the Lower East Side" being sung by Dudley Klute. Merritt has sang lead on this song live and struggles with the end, which I'd imagine is why this is one of the songs he had someone else sing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »

I'm listening to volume one of The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs and my god would "The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side" be an amazing Beach Boys song -- think of the end where Merritt sings in the upper register (well, for him, I guess) but as a Brian falsetto! (Obviously the lyrics would have to be changed to as to preserve the California feelin's.) I think due to the lyrics being as quirky as Brian's late-period stuff that it would fit well on something like Friends or, to cheat a bit, 20/20 but I think it could just as easily work out as a monstrous mid-'60s stomper. A lot of the songs on this collection remind me of Brian's more idiosyncratic, day-in-the-life songwriting. Has Merritt ever said he was a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan, anyway? I have no reason to think he is, but it'd be neat if he was, haha.
I missed this post until now.

It's a common misconception that all the male vocals on 69 Love Songs are sung by Stephin Merritt. About a third of the songs are by other singers, "The Luckiest Guy On the Lower East Side" being sung by Dudley Klute. Merritt has sang lead on this song live and struggles with the end, which I'd imagine is why this is one of the songs he had someone else sing.

Oh, that of course makes total sense, yeah. I guess I naively thought it was all Merritt despite the women, for instance, clearly not being him (or the sundry number of instrumentalists and whatnot)! I can see why he'd struggle with that last part too -- live or in the studio (honestly it sounds like it's being struggled with on the track anyway!) Must be that whole "Stephin Merritt is The Magnetic Fields" understanding that appears common enough, haha.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

I believe that in the late 70's they should have remade one of their earlier songs like something from Wild Honey ("Here Comes The Night" for instance) and updated it with a 70's disco arrangement. It would have pleased the fans and critics and would have gone straight to #1 on the charts. I wish I could have been their manager back then.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »

Flying on the Ground is Wrong - Neil Young. This would work SO well.

But as an alternate: Dear Boy - Paul McCartney. Imagine what the boys' voices could do on that!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

I believe that in the late 70's they should have remade one of their earlier songs like something from Wild Honey ("Here Comes The Night" for instance) and updated it with a 70's disco arrangement. It would have pleased the fans and critics and would have gone straight to #1 on the charts. I wish I could have been their manager back then.
Or a disco freak in the crowd when The Beach Boys could have done it live on the Midnight Special.... Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUCdXiGFOQ

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »

Hey, SMiLE Brian.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx