gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:17:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93338 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »

Yeah, basically - Any 50's rock n roll song done in the Love You style. Or any Ramones tune. Suzy Is A Headbanger would be the one for me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:54 AM »

I know y'all can see the Boys giving "Rock 'N' Roll High School" an awesome 15 Big Ones-style makeover with lots of farting synth and Carl's throaty growls -- maybe even some "Shortenin' Bread" riffage!

Posts like this can really make me emotional, you know. Because these guys had so much potential... I can hear Rock and Roll High School in my mind right now, and Shortnin' Bread interspersed someway at 2/3 into the song, an awful break in the rhythm, totally out of place, and then High School is resumed without the drop of a hat (think of Tallahassee Lassie)...

...and it would be DAMMENED SUPERGREAT!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:08 AM »

I'm listening to volume one of The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs and my god would "The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side" be an amazing Beach Boys song -- think of the end where Merritt sings in the upper register (well, for him, I guess) but as a Brian falsetto! (Obviously the lyrics would have to be changed to as to preserve the California feelin's.) I think due to the lyrics being as quirky as Brian's late-period stuff that it would fit well on something like Friends or, to cheat a bit, 20/20 but I think it could just as easily work out as a monstrous mid-'60s stomper. A lot of the songs on this collection remind me of Brian's more idiosyncratic, day-in-the-life songwriting. Has Merritt ever said he was a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan, anyway? I have no reason to think he is, but it'd be neat if he was, haha.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »

Imagine if the BB's and Ramones had recorded a song together in '77? That would have had the potential to be something huge!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »

I can just see all the Romones going to Brian's home and being really excited about working with him. The get there and crowd around the grand that Brian has in his living room, eager to hear material he's been working on to bring to their collaboration. He asks if they'd be interested in hearing what he's got -- of course they say yes. Brian then sits down at the piano and bangs out...

..."Shortenin' Bread"!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »

I can just see all the Romones going to Brian's home and being really excited about working with him. The get there and crowd around the grand that Brian has in his living room, eager to hear material he's been working on to bring to their collaboration. He asks if they'd be interested in hearing what he's got -- of course they say yes. Brian then sits down at the piano and bangs out...

..."Shortenin' Bread"!

Darn.  Angry beat me to it. Couple of seconds. Great minds and all that jazz...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »

Haha, there's something...

What if instead of Phil Spector, The Ramones chose to work with Brian in 1980? That would be.... something  Shocked

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »

What if instead of Phil Spector, The Ramones chose to work with Brian in 1980? That would be.... something  Shocked

Indeed! However bearing in mind what happend with KTSA around that time they would have probably ended up getting produced by Bruce Johnson. Ramones + Brucie = .......................................  nope, can't even begin to imagine how that would have ended up!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »

Indeed! However bearing in mind what happend with KTSA around that time they would have probably ended up getting produced by Bruce Johnson. Ramones + Brucie = .......................................  nope, can't even begin to imagine how that would have ended up!!

Boyzone. Or New Kids On The Block.

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »

How about a Stars and Stripes collection done properly... Beach Boys doing Country Rock songs...

"Don't Go Back To Rockville" (REM)                       - Mike lead
"Lyng Eyes" (Eagles)
"Wild Horses"  (The Flying Burrito Brothers)
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (Neil Young)    - Carl Lead
"Sunflower" (Glen Campbell)                                - Al lead
"Panama Red" (New Riders of the Purple Sage)   - Mike lead and Brian's Love You style Moogs
"Take It Easy"  (Eagles)
"Crazy Eyes" (Poco)                                             - Brian lead.. full Smile type production
"One Hundred Years From Now" (The Byrds)       - Al lead
"Shannon" (Henry Gross)                                     - Carl lead
"Fishin' In The Dark" (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)         - Mike lead
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" (Eagles)

now that would have been a interesting collection!

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:12:44 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2010, 05:47:12 AM »

How about a Stars and Stripes collection done properly... Beach Boys doing Country Rock songs...

"Lyng Eyes" (Eagles)
"Panama Red" (New Riders of the Purple Sage)   - Mike lead and Brian's Love You style Moogs
"Take It Easy"  (Eagles)
"Crazy Eyes" (Poco)                                             - Brian lead.. full Smile type production

Smiley

Can I add Ricky Nelson's ''Garden Party"? Yes I can. With Carl on lead.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2010, 06:04:17 AM »

Can i add Hot Burrito #2 with Carl? would have sounded so great if it had been written in time for Wild Honey...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2010, 06:07:26 AM »

"Lyng Eyes" (Eagles)
"Take It Easy"  (Eagles)

Smiley

Can I add Ricky Nelson's ''Garden Party"? Yes I can. With Carl on lead.

Sounds great potentially. Can we sneak Mike's "Country Love" version of "Everyone's In Love With You" on the end as a 'hidden bonus track' for all the sadists out there?

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »

The Honeys (or American Spring or whatever) should've covered "Femme Fatale"!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2010, 12:05:25 AM »

I just thought of another one, that I hope hasn't been mentioned yet. How about the original version of Kokomo by John Phillips? I can imagine Carl singing it on acoustic guitar during the "unplugged" sets from the 1993 tour. Just his voice with a guitar, and maybe a very faint hint of percussion.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

I would have liked to hear the BBs cover some Randy Newman, and I'm sort of surprised Brian didn't try at any point as I think he's quite the fan (or was, anyway). Admittedly, I don't think they quite have what it takes to pull off the more sarcastic stuff, but I think they could do a good job with something lovely (and, of course, desperate) like "I'll Be Home" or "Living Without You". They could possibly swing something like "Marie" or "Have You Seen My Baby?" too... Hell, throw in "Lonely At The Top" for some irony!

They should have covered "Rednecks" but only on the condition that Steve Love featured in the video.  Evil Evil

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

Three songs -

Do I Love You - The Ronettes

Better Watch Out, Boy (title changed to Better Watch Out, Now) - The Accents, featuring Sandi

Hot Cheri - Danny Spanos (this song was produced by Spencer Proffer, the same guy who produced Chasin' the Sky)

exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »

"What a Fool Believes" Doobie Brothers
"High Coin" VDP
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

Let's go mo'fos!!!!!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »

Let's go blueboarders!!!!!
Ugh...wow. That was not what I typed.  LOL

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »

It's half hilarious and half sad that the filter now filters: "mother-f*ckers" as mo'fos.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »

My choices:
Because (ala the 'Love' version)
Hot Fun In The Summertime - in their heyday voices and w/Brian

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

*deleted*

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »

It's half hilarious and half sad that the filter now filters: "mother-foders" as blueboarders.
The Brian fanatic in me is ever so slightly offended. But the messageboard on his website is the most poorly organised piece of crap in the history of the internet. I know you're reading this, Melinda, and I don't really care.   Razz

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2010, 10:40:14 PM »

Let's go blueboarders!!!!!
Ugh...wow. That was not what I typed.  LOL

You know... when I checked that cencored word list last week, I happened to find this one the funniest of all... (and - no - I didn't compile it in the first place).

And I hadn't expected - all here knowing the rules and all - that someone would actually type that word here in the first place.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx