gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:49:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name One Song You'd Wish The BBs Should Have Covered  (Read 93370 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

How on earth did they pitch that video?

'We'll get the Beach Boys to go to church in ill-fitting coats, where they will look bored listening to a banal guitar solo, and leave due to the continued presence of David Crosby and an offensive saxophone player. And if you're lucky, Al Jardine will mime for you.'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck. Of course it's gonna sound like the 80's. It was made in the 80's. It's gonna have 80's sensibilities. It's gonna have a strange video tied to it, because most of the videos made in the 80's were done like that. Most their 80's output had that kind of sax solo, because sax solo's were kind of the thing in the 80's. Paul Mertens isn't too far away from this type of thing with Brian's 21st Century output. Except for Goin' On and Somewhere Near Japan, I thought this remake was one of their better efforts. Until today, I never thought that my taste in music was so, well, embarrassing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »

Plenty of music recorded in the '80s didn't have that stereotypical sheen. Tom Waits, for one. And others helped set the stereotypes or worked reasonably well within them at times (at times being the key to this next part, lest you go picking out the examples to the contrary), such as Prince, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Squeeze, the entire emerging style of hip hop, etc. Nobody was holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to forsake good-sounding records.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

They were trying for a hit. The song was recorded when they really had no recording contract. It was one of 2 new songs on a compilation package. They were trying to take an old song and make it sound current. Apparently John & Michelle must of approved of it too, considering they appear in the video. To me it sounds better than Getcha Back. It may sound 80-ish, but it is by no means embarrassing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »

Count me in as a fan of the 80s version. Of the time, but quite nice vocally nonetheless.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »

I have to say, the vocals are amazing in that song. But my ears will never get past that production.

The final verdict comes down to this: Would you rather hear a 1966 Brian Wilson produced Beach Boys rendition or the 1980s version?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

As great as "California Dreamin'" is... do we really need another version of it? I like to think not -- even if it's one by the inimitable Beach boys, and even if them in their prime. There are much more interesting things they could have done in terms of cover material.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »

Personally, I take what I can get. First off, 1966 would have been too soon for a cover. Second, I don't look back 44 years for something that never was (at least no footwear that I am aware of). We only have what we have and that is: the early 80's version and mid-80's single version. Oh, and there is the hybrid-version on The Warmth Of The Sun compilation. As for another version of it; was it recorded by many artists over the last 44 years? If so, The Beach Boys version is only one that I remember played on Top 40 radio.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOPSRqdBtVs

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »

First off, 1966 would have been too soon for a cover. Second, I don't look back 44 years for something that never was.

On your first point, I don't see what time has to do with BW producing a cover as I believe Brian did a cover of 'Then i Kissed Her' just 2 years after The Crystals released it to the world. On your second point, I don't understand why you are even reading this thread then.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »

How does it approach embarrassing? You throw statements like this out here and don't say why you think so.

Why do I need an essay accompanying everything I say? It's obvious why I said it approaches embarrassing because just about everyone else pointed out what I felt too - vocal arrangement is crap, too 80s sounding (I don't care if it was done in the 80s - it didn't have to sound like that or sound like it to that extent), too much cheese (in the worst possible way), etc. etc. etc.

As with several things they did around that time, the only real redeeming quality of it is Carl's vocal. Otherwise, it absolutely withers and dies compared to the original or compared to what they could have done with it in the 60s.

Also, you can't fault me for, "I don't look back 44 years for something that never was," as that's what this entire thread is about. Even if they hadn't done it in the 80s, I'd be wishing they had covered it in the 60s - it's one of those songs by one artist that really feels like it very well could have been just as great or better by another artist (in this case, the Beach Boys).

I don't care if it's been covered a thousand times over, a Beach Boys cover done in the 60s would have been brilliant.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:43:57 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »

vocal arrangement is crap,

Really?

too 80s sounding (I don't care if it was done in the 80s - it didn't have to sound like that or sound like it to that extent),

Eh.

too much cheese (in the worst possible way), etc. etc. etc

It's not the greatest single song ever recorded, but if you listen to the BBs in the 80s, you take what you can get.

Many folks here have moved away from that knee-jerk "anything that was recorded in the 80s SUX" attitude. Cause other people can't stand that big slammy, thuddy, mono wall-o-sound that we adore. Variety's the spice of, and all that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:54:55 PM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »

Because I want to, OK.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:40 AM »

They were trying for a hit. The song was recorded when they really had no recording contract. It was one of 2 new songs on a compilation package. They were trying to take an old song and make it sound current. Apparently John & Michelle must of approved of it too, considering they appear in the video. To me it sounds better than Getcha Back. It may sound 80-ish, but it is by no means embarrassing.

Made In USA version was a remix/re-edit/re-recording of the original 1983 version that was on Rock & Roll City.

The video is OK, notable for Brian's 1000 yard stare towards the end.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »

vocal arrangement is crap,

Really?

too 80s sounding (I don't care if it was done in the 80s - it didn't have to sound like that or sound like it to that extent),

Eh.

too much cheese (in the worst possible way), etc. etc. etc

It's not the greatest single song ever recorded, but if you listen to the BBs in the 80s, you take what you can get.

Many folks here have moved away from that knee-jerk "anything that was recorded in the 80s SUX" attitude. Cause other people can't stand that big slammy, thuddy, mono wall-o-sound that we adore. Variety's the spice of, and all that.

Judge, I plead guilty. See: I was a young man in the '80s. And I confess that I adored many a 'widescreen' production in those years. Even danced to it. Proof: Simple Minds ('Up On The Catwalk", 12" vinyl in my possesion), U2 ("Joshua Tree"), Culture Club, the lot, and I almost forgot an album by a minor artist, I think his name was Bryan Wilsson, or something like it, don't know the album title anymore.

Thing is: I did NOT realize in those days that there might be anything wrong with the sound. Nowadays I don't like those productions anymore. Why this discrepancy is there... I do not know, honestly.

What will my sentence be, then? Embarrassed

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:46 AM »

@runnersdialzero

Because this is a discussion board. I don't think it is an embarrassing song, you did, and I wanted to understand why you feel the way you do about it. Is that wrong? Is there a reason for you to cop an attitude, because I wanted your full opinion? If I take the time to read your posts, at least support your claim(s).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

Made the mistake of watching the video before work this morning - had the song in my head all day.  Nooooooooooooo! As if my day at work wasn't shitty enough without that tune constantly playing in my mind. That may have been the first time I've seen the video to be honest. Points of note include; Al giving up on the whole 'combover' look, Bruce giving a strained smile throughout the entire thing, Brian pretty much incognito throughout (until as AGD points out that "Death Stare" at the end) and the guest appearance of Roger McGuinn sporting a toxic 80's mullet.

DrBeachboy we all enjoy a discussion but sometimes some of your posts come off as a tad aggressive.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »

"How does it approach embarrassing? You throw statements like this out here and don't say why you think so."

What is aggressive about my original statement, above? I asked a question and stated a fact. I go into so many topics and some people just throw their opinion out there without ever stating why they feel that way. Seriously, is that too much to ask?  I was always taught that if you state an opinion, be prepared to back it up.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »

Made In USA version was a remix/re-edit/re-recording of the original 1983 version that was on Rock & Roll City.

The video is OK, notable for Brian's 1000 yard stare towards the end.  Grin
While those who have posted here do not seem to like the video too much, I actually like it enough to say that it was there best one from that period.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

Did I just see John Phillips as a priest?  Embarrassed

"Jeff, you care." --BW
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »

Did I just see John Phillips as a priest?  Embarrassed

The irony of the guise is too much to take.  Let's just say: Papa don't preach.  Cool Guy

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »

How about Bacharach's "Alfie", sung by Brian in "Still I Dream of It" style.

John Bucky Wilkin, the guy who more or less WAS Ronny & the Daytonas, issued a great version on RCA in 67 or 68. If I'm not mistaken it was issued as one of the last Daytonas singles before he wrapped up the group. It's a great version that to my ears sound like what a 'Today'-era Brian might have gotten out of this great song.

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »

How about Bacharach's "Alfie", sung by Brian in "Still I Dream of It" style.

John Bucky Wilkin, the guy who more or less WAS Ronny & the Daytonas, issued a great version on RCA in 67 or 68. If I'm not mistaken it was issued as one of the last Daytonas singles before he wrapped up the group. It's a great version that to my ears sound like what a 'Today'-era Brian might have gotten out of this great song.

Ah man, would love to hear that.  "Alfie" completely kicks my ass.  Maybe now that he's done a Gershwin album B-Dub can do a Bacharach album next.  Smokin

"Jeff, you care." --BW
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »

As far as the video, I think it is one of their best videos, although that might not be saying too much when you consider how BAD some of their videos are but I think the embarrassment on the video (minus Brian's stare) is low and hey it might be the only video where Mike doesn't ogle a young girl in a very creepy way!

As far as the song, cheesy 80s production for sure,  but alot of songs do. Al and Carl are extremely strong vocally (the 82 version with Mike on the first verse is one of his most nasal cringing leads ever) . All I know is thank god for Carl's and Al's voices on that 80s and 90s stuff!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »

I would have liked to hear the BBs cover some Randy Newman, and I'm sort of surprised Brian didn't try at any point as I think he's quite the fan (or was, anyway). Admittedly, I don't think they quite have what it takes to pull off the more sarcastic stuff, but I think they could do a good job with something lovely (and, of course, desperate) like "I'll Be Home" or "Living Without You". They could possibly swing something like "Marie" or "Have You Seen My Baby?" too... Hell, throw in "Lonely At The Top" for some irony!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx