gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:20:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life of Tragic Beach Boy Dennis Wilson Heading to Cinemas  (Read 8730 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »

I'm reading what the rest of you are, and I'm thinking... "train wreck". Just feels bad. Think it's the phrase "family involvement", which usually translates as "whitewash". Which, of course, would make the whole thing pointless.

...which is contrary to my hopes, but very clear thinking. Indeed, if one subtracts Dennis' problems, which were many, from the story, one is left with an illogical, incomprehensible piece of sanitized nonsense. I am thinking 'The Waltons' or 'Little House On The Prairie' here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »

Which would be ok for a made for TV movie but for the big screen movie goers are going to demand more. I will await with interest.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

I am actually really looking forward to this.  Reason:

Brian's life is arguably the more "historically and musically" important story, but there's a reason why attempts at portraying Brian have always failed.  And that's because in real life Brian has always been an awkward person to watch in action, even before his mental health problems and rampant drug use.  I imagine the actors that have played Brian struggled with their portrayal, coming off too goofy or weird.  Well, the reality is Brian really WAS that awkward, weird and quirky in real life.  Not all the time of course, but it was a big aspect of both his humor and illness, the quirkiness.  It's hard to watch an actor try to balance that side of Brian with the more serious "artistic" side.

Dennis on the other hand is a classic rock star figure, handsome and hell bent on self destruction in the mold of a Jim Morrison or a Brian Jones.  Dennis lived life to the absolute fullest in his relatively brief time on earth; he was also strikingly good looking, and an underdog genius living in the shadow of his older brother Brian, whom he love and supported along with his beloved band the Beach Boys, and in the case of his promising solo career, to a fault.  The last years of Dennis' life are a tragic, yet fascinating tale and in my mind, will make for a more focused film.  Brian's story is a huge legacy, stretching all the way through his aristic peak in the 60s, the burn-out in the 70s, the Landy Years in the 80s, the slow artistic healing of Brian the artist in the 90s and 00s, realistically peaking the finishing of SMiLE in the form of live shows and a marvelous, but modest "recreation" on record, with TLOS and Gershwin as delectable desserts that are simply a bonus for us die hard fans.  By focusing on the most tempestuous period of Dennis' life I think the film will benefit from a smaller scope.

If this is done right, this has the potential to be the best Beach Boys related film so far...although admittedly that wouldn't be a tough achievement.  LOL

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »

If this is done right...

Possibly one of the biggest 'ifs' you can imagine.  Huh

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say it was that big an "if".  Both Summer Dreams and An American Family are deeply flawed movies, with the latter a definite improvement in all aspects, but with enough nagging portrayals and lapses in judgement, taste and accuracy to consider it "less than that definitive cinematic word on the Beach Boys."  Those two movies should be fairly easy to improve upon, and honestly I haven't read anything from the filmmakers that is sending "red flags" to my judgement center.  Sure, "the music is a character" is a hoary Hollywood cliche, but why shouldn't it be a character?  Certainly I would love to hear plenty of Dennis Wilson songs in a movie about Dennis Wilson, as opposed to an artsy, abstract film score because they couldn't get the rights to Pacific Ocean Blue.  After all, it's the music that drew me to the Beach Boys.  The somewhat morbidly fascinating personalities and twisted band/family dynamics were a bonus.  And I don't mean to glorify the many problems the band and it's surrounding family have had over the years, but even from a scholarly view, it's a fascinating story.  Maybe the film could shed some light on Dennis Wilson: the artist, the man, the father, the drug addict, the generous friend.  I would much rather see a film on this period of Dennis Wilson's life, then another dry biopic along the lines of Walk the Line, or Ray, in which the movie ends after the addiction is kicked, and the rest of their life is ignored.  I think the limited time frame here will give the movie focus, and therefore give the movie going public (and even Beach Boys fans) something more worthwhile than just another grab at an all encompassing "feel good" music movie.  Just my two cents.  Heh, maybe it'll totally blow goats though, who knows?

There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »

I haven't read anything from the filmmakers that is sending "red flags" to my judgement center. 

The two words "family involvement" give me serious pause for thought. 'Course, depends which part of the family.  Shawn & Karen are no longer with us, so that leaves Carol, Barbara and the children (I'm assuming Brian and Mike have already passed), none of whom were really him around that much 1977-83. It would make about as much sense as Marilyn producing a movie about Brian during the period 1999-2009.

Now, if Stebbins was/comes onboard, then all bets are off. But until then... color me severely skeptical.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »

i actually wouldn't be skeptical about this one guys.  these are legit film makers.  i've actually heard of their movie haha.

but, i'm curious who the "name" would be.

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

he hasn't really done movies like this, but he's a great actor, and since it's the last 6 years of dennis life,  though i suppose he might be too big a name....anyway. aaron eckhart.

He's got the chin.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 01:54:13 AM »

i actually wouldn't be skeptical about this one guys.  these are legit film makers.  i've actually heard of their movie haha.

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

he hasn't really done movies like this, but he's a great actor, and since it's the last 6 years of dennis life,  though i suppose he might be too big a name....anyway. aaron eckhart.

He's got the chin.

In fact, he could be an illegitim... no wait. Dennis abstained from adventures.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

I would definitely go see this picture, and enjoyed both Summer Dreams and An American Family. I think the actors who played Murry and Mike in the latter were spot on, in fact the thought of a biopic on Murry Wilson could be very interesting.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »

Alt comics artist Peter Bagge has made a short animated spoof on Murry, it's on youtube.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »

the people involved in this are of a much higher quality than past beach boys movies, which in my mind means they'll have a bit more integrity when it comes to the history.  Especially these docu type.  I'd just enjoy a good movie.  It's not gonna be perfectly accurate but anyone who goes to a movie knows this.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

This has the potential to be great. 

Exhibit A: "Walk the Line".  GREAT movie, largely accurate, and done with Johnny & June's approval.  Doesn't gloss over the bad parts, highlights them. 

Exhibit B: "Ray".  GREAT movie, largely accurate, and done with Ray Charles' approval.  Doesnt' gloss over the bad parts, highlights them.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »

I would much rather see a film on this period of Dennis Wilson's life, then another dry biopic along the lines of Walk the Line, or Ray, in which the movie ends after the addiction is kicked, and the rest of their life is ignored. 

That's a fair criticism, I would like to see them make more of the story too, but hell the guy DIED an addict.  So... uh.. that's probably going to be the end of the movie. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

i'm guessing it'll end with some of the original news segments of his death either playing in the background or briefly showed.  since that stuff seems so available.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »

Yippie! Another Hollywood clusterfuck.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »

As an actor myself, I would love to audition for the part of Dennis. Unfortanately, I look a lot like Mike Love!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »

As an actor myself, I would love to audition for the part of Dennis. Unfortanately, I look a lot like Mike Love!
You poor man.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »

Exhibit A: "Walk the Line".  GREAT movie, largely accurate, and done with Johnny & June's approval.  Doesn't gloss over the bad parts, highlights them. 

Exhibit B: "Ray".  GREAT movie, largely accurate, and done with Ray Charles' approval.  Doesnt' gloss over the bad parts, highlights them.

Both of them were alive at the time and, as I've pointed out the family involved in this DW movie hadn't been any meaningful part of his life for over 10 years. It could be great... I hope it is. But i have serious reservations.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

Both of them were alive at the time and, as I've pointed out the family involved in this DW movie hadn't been any meaningful part of his life for over 10 years. It could be great... I hope it is. But i have serious reservations.

That is why it would be a good idea to get his friends involved.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »

It might be decent if the director(s?) talks to(and includes in the project) fellow musicians and people who were part of Dennis's "inner circle" during POB/Bambu.

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:54 AM »

That's a fair criticism, I would like to see them make more of the story too, but hell the guy DIED an addict.  So... uh.. that's probably going to be the end of the movie. 

Haha, got me there.  I think I was on a bit of a rant and got carried away, logic be damend!  The only way Dennis' story would continue PAST his death would be if David Lynch directed the film.  Add some backward talking midgets spouting Van Dyke Parks lyrics and I think we have gold!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:37 AM »

Haha, got me there.  I think I was on a bit of a rant and got carried away, logic be damend!  The only way Dennis' story would continue PAST his death would be if David Lynch directed the film.  Add some backward talking midgets spouting Van Dyke Parks lyrics and I think we have gold!

As crazy as it seems... I think you're basically right. Dennis' life was full of drama and contradictions, and I think little is really known what went on in his mind in his last couple of years. He died a true addict. Someone with Lynch's fantasy could 'fill in' the gaps.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

Seth Rogen should play Dennis...Jason Segel as Brian, Jonah Hill as Carl, Jay Baruchel as the Lovester, Chris "McLovin" Mintz-Plasse as Al, Michael Cera as David Marks...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »

Hmm.  Since you mentioned that, I just realized somebody's going to have to attempt to play Brian, and Mike. 
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

As crazy as it seems... I think you're basically right. Dennis' life was full of drama and contradictions, and I think little is really known what went on in his mind in his last couple of years. He died a true addict. Someone with Lynch's fantasy could 'fill in' the gaps.

Yes!!!  I would totally be up for Dennis Wilson: Fire Walk With Me!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx