gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:44:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nooooooooo!!!  (Read 12489 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »

Everytime you think Mike Love can't be much more of a dick, he comes out with something like this....

I really want to like Mike, i really do. But how can he be so stupid? He always wonders why they aren't as respected as The Beatles (the constant cringeworthy name-dropping betrays as much) and then thinks the obvious solution is this cheap trash. DO YOU SEE PAUL MCCARTNEY DOING THIS, MIKE? MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED WHORING OUT THIS WONDERFUL MUSIC PEOPLE MIGHT TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY. Jesus wept.

Sorry for the rant, it just does my head in. I suppose it says rather a lot when you see Brian collaborating with The Gershwin Estate finishing music from one of the Great American Composers, and Mike wishing to cover 'Kokomo' with Kenny Chesney, who had a No. 1 in the 80's. *sigh*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:25 AM »

Oh yeah, they did it again.....

Kinda fascinating though, to see that they still don't get it. This is probably their last chance to go with some kind of dignity, and let's be honest, none of us really thought they would take that chance. Terrible if it comes to fruition.
On the other hand, would there be enough time for Brian and Mike to crank out some new tunes and record them with the guys? Probably no. So as nice as the dream of new material and an new album might be, this is seemingly the only way to get a new record, except for maybe a live album
What about an open fan letter ?  Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:26:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »

This is a woefully retarded idea. The damn Beach Boys are too good for these schlubs, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

How about releasing some of the days' worth of unreleased songs and outtakes to make a great record proving once and for all that they are the kings of rock n' roll- not pimping their music for cheap thrills.

This sucks hard-core. WTF. At least we have BWRG. Brian Wilson, if you read this, please do not participate in the aforementioned idea of collaborating with these performers. Call me up, and I will give you better ideas than this.

Totally agree. Brian has been hard at work making something truly original for his fans and the world, and Love, as usual, is finding the cheapest way to make a buck.

Innovative, I'll give you... but original ?  Think the Gershwin Estate might dispute that slightly.  Grin

Indeed they would! Innovative it is  Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »

A good song is a good song as long as it sounds the way it was initially intended.

And that, presumably, is why you hate Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Sloop John B, Then I Kissed Her, Cottonfields, Ol' Man River, Al Jardine, and the upcoming Wilson/Gershwin album.  

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »

Ok well heres my idea.

If Mike wants to have his way, well at least they should do it artistically, so instead of having Justin Timbaland and Katy Gaga, how about they call in Panda Bear, The Shins, Caribou, and a bunch of the other Beach Boys inspired acts and have them remix/reinterpret the Boys, that are actually creatively stimulating. I'm sure Moneybags Mike won't find it commercial enough, but I'd put money on this selling more than Mike singing with Justin. I'm pretty sure none of those guys would wanna cover "Kokomo" though. Closest they'd wanna get to the self proclaimed Dr. Love would probably be "All I Wanna Do". Honestly, I could do without this, but this would make the best of a bad situation.

Secondly, they have another hits CD, except this time, add like 2-3 new tracks, one Wilson/Love track, and maybe one Wilson/Bennett track. And knock out garbage like "Come Go With Me" and "Getcha Back" this time.

Then, most importantly, lets get those rarities out there. Some Capitol stuff, but hopefully a lot of the best Brother work, such as WIBNTLA and California Feelin '74. And other good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:55:37 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

And that, presumably, is why you hate Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Sloop John B, Then I Kissed Her, Cottonfields, Ol' Man River, Al Jardine, and the upcoming Wilson/Gershwin album.  

LOL LOL LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 08:44:33 AM »

These things just don't seem to hold up over time is one of the problems, cause no one cares that Justin Timberlake guested once on a version of Good Vibes 5 yrs later.

Are you crazy? I can't stop listening to Ricky Martin's performance of "California Girls" — it's as timeless as the Macarena:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RKYhDxeAEfQ

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »

Still think it would make more sense to have a Stars and Stripes 2
but this time have the country artists each contribute one of their own songs for the BB's to reinterpret
and perform.

would it be good  ?

but I would still prefer this to another bunch of other artists performing the BB's songs with the
boys just doing backing vocals.

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »

If it's truly going to be a Beach Boys album, here's what I, as a consumer, want: No guest artists singing leads and no remakes of BB hits.

If it's just a tribute album with other artists providing the music or a Mike Love solo project with guests, that's something else again.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »

Are they not big enough celebs in their own right that they feel the need to do this? Do The 'Boys really need to be modernising at this stage in the game?  I for one do not see their music lingering in obscurity as some posters have suggested. (Granted, I would prefer if some of their great late 60's early 70's album tracks were more well known.) They should be using this reunion to show today's music fans just what they are missing not repeating the mistakes of the 25th Anniversary. This just does not seem to be the answer. It sounds like a desperate attempt to appeal to 'the kids'. Oddly enough I cannot see that steaming great twat Justin Timberlake performing a moving updated version of "GV" try as I might. If they INSIST on performing/recording with modern artists at least let them them be ones who have clearly been inspired by the Beach Boys.  Somehow I doubt it was "Sunflower" that made Snoop Dogg decide to pursue a career in the music biz!!

My main beef with this news is that I HATE pretty much all modern music of the last 15 years or so and certainly the last 5. That's why I listen to groups such as the Beach Boys. It's because at their best they produced a kind of song that today's artists haven't a hope of coming close to replicating. Timeless groups such as the BB's music create a world for me that modern 'pop stars' have no place entering into.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:53:27 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »

If it's truly going to be a Beach Boys album, here's what I, as a consumer, want: No guest artists singing leads and no remakes of BB hits.

If it's just a tribute album with other artists providing the music or a Mike Love solo project with guests, that's something else again.
Exactly my idea, the way the BB shoul reunite is an album of fresh, exciting material sung by them. Natural, immediate, exciting; not recycled and desperate. We need to eliminate the BB cheese factor and give them a sense of class they deserve.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 10:49:18 AM »

This is FANTASTIC NEWS!  Imagine the possibilities...

Chris Brown and Rihanna duet on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together"

Bright Eyes sings "A Day In The Life Of A Tree"

Black Eyes Peas do "Heroes And Villains (Cantina version)"

Insane Clown Posse cover "Solar System"

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »

I'd rather hear them work with contemporary artists than do anything else with country rejects...I despise country with flaming fury.

Sit this guy down and play him some Gram Parsons!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »

This is officially the worse Beach Boys idea ever, even worse than the Maharshi tour.  Thud
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »

I'd rather hear them work with contemporary artists than do anything else with country rejects...I despise country with flaming fury.

Sit this guy down and play him some Gram Parsons!

I should've been clearer..I despise *modern* country. Like anything from the past 20 years or so.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »

All is forgiven!!  Grin Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

This is officially the worse Beach Boys idea ever, even worse than the Maharshi tour.  Thud

Especially if one considers that they've done this tribute thing about 15 years ago and it flopped. Are they totally self-conscious or what's goin' on in their minds? They won't make much money with this. You could as well dig Maharishi out and go with him on tour. It'll be as interesting and tastefull as this idea...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »

This would make my millennium.  "Moog synths...HOW DO THEY WORK???!"

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

Does this or does this not preclude the possibly of a reunion tour? I mean, so long as that happens, they could have Justin Bieber do a solo multitrack rendition of "Our Prayer" for all I care.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:20:46 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 12:48:15 PM »

This would make my millennium.  "Moog synths...HOW DO THEY WORK???!"
While pondering fuckin magnets, I was thinking the exact same thing.  LOL LOL LOL LOL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:51:46 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »

This is FANTASTIC NEWS!  Imagine the possibilities...

Chris Brown and Rihanna duet on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together"

Bright Eyes sings "A Day In The Life Of A Tree"

Black Eyes Peas do "Heroes And Villains (Cantina version)"

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

After smile, TLOS and now BWRG, Brian is pretty much back on his game.

Man what a come down this would be. Has Mike lost his mind all together? "Santa goes to Kokomo" now this idea.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »

I've thought about this. It won't happen. You really think Brian's people will let this happen. Sure Melinda was around for the country thing...but I think shes learned her lessons and the only way a reunion even happens is if the make The Beach Boys look like the important group they are, and not money-grubbing Lady Gaga collaborators, which, yes, some of them probably want to be. Ha.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »

Maybe Mike is enamored over Alan's fantastic album and wants to get in on the guest stars too. Silly man. Bruce will go along I'm sure.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »

Eh. They'll do what they want, and we'll all buy it, because WE'RE SUCKERS!!!!  I'm going to go preorder my copy right now, anybody got a link?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx