gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:05:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Reimagines Gershwin  (Read 107287 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 28, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

I finally listened to this album for the first time yesterday evening and once more... again later that night. I'll just copy verbatim what I wrote to a friend of mine in an email about the album:

[M]y initial impressions are that it is very good but definitely is an album to take in after many more listens. It's the kind of album that actually rewards you the more you listen to it, like all good albums! I guess it depends on how familiar you are with the Gershwins' songs -- I'm actually not very familiar with 8/10 (excluding the Wall-O-Brian Rhapsody In Blue  snippets and the two "collaborations") of the songs on the album, shamefully -- but I really enjoy his versions of "Summertime" [it sounds downright sinister musically!], "I Loves You, Porgy" [Brian Wilson is now genderqueer, I guess!], "It Ain't Necessarily So", "Love Is Here To Stay", "I've Got A Crush On You", and "Someone To Watch Over Me" [these last three are just lovely, really]. Though I must admit, I do not think there is a single bad song on the album; they're all at least 'good' and very listenable!

Yeah, I couldn't be a music reviewer. I will probably update this (or just post again) when my views become more substantial upon further listening though, I imagine.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »

I had a similar experience today. I walked into Hastings to but the monthly Mojo and Uncut and went through the cd section listening to the Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin cd. The guy said they had moved about 20 of the 30 they had ordered. That sounded good to me... Serenade Brian, Dennis, & Carl Violin

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 29, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »

It's back up to #2 on amazon and it's still selling strong on music sites.

I'm happy  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »

Although I've been listening to a "borrowed" copy, I bought it today at Best Buy.   Under Brian Wilson, behing someone named Charlie Wilson.  I "corrected" the sequence, putting it before c in the front of the bin.

Although I knew that Scott co-wrote with Brian, seing the credits in the booklet (Gershwin, Wilson, Bennett) again brought home the fact that this isn't simply Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin.

The Brian Wilson "orchestra" sounds as good, if not better, than ever.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »

Is it just me or is there a lot more harp [sorry, harmonica] on this album? I at least hear it like there is, and I love it! More harmonica, Brian... now you just need to add in some farting Moog synth and a little "Shortenin' Bread" and you're almost there!
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »

#1 Jazz album on Billboard.

Congrats on your first #1 album, Brian.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 31, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »

Just imagine if you're a Jazz aficionado; if this album's #1, it's got to get your attention, and you may not normally listen to Brian or the Beach Boys.  Kind of neat to see Brian reach a different audience. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »

eh. michael buble is usually at the top of that list.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 31, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »

Brian could kick Michael Buble's A$$. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »

What exactly does it take to hit #1 on the Jazz Albums chart? I'm skeptical that it's really significant like it would be for the Hot 100 or whatever.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 31, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »

it's not.  All it takes is to have "jazz" as part of the categorization.  still nice, but michael buble's album has been #1 for a long time and that album came out last year. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »

Any idea what it will be on the Billboard 200 this week?  I hope it doesn't fall significantly.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »

As someone who was a serious fan of jazz and Gershwin before getting into The Beach Boys/BW I was a bit skeptical about the album when its imminent release was announced. Not necessarily because I didn't think Brian wasn't capable of performing the songs, but rather, because I feared my familiarity with all of the songs (except the new ones) would taint the experience. I feared I would be a bit bored and unsurprised by the album. When "TLIILY" started streaming some of those fears dissapated. Brian was singing his sweetest in years and the arrangement was very pretty.

Now that I've heard the whole thing, I'm pretty blown away by most of it. At very least in Brian's top 3 solo recordings and just refreshingly unique, indeed. I've never really enjoyed "I Loves You, Porgy" no matter who sang it. Don't know why. But Brian's wonderful version (especially that great tag) really made me see the song I've been skipping all these years. I thought "Summertime" was going to be completely unnecessary--so many have already put down amazing versions. Brian's is creepy, bluesy and definitely deserves to be here. "I Got Rhythm" is one of the best "nostalgic" throwback songs in the entire BB/BW canon, and there's a lot of them as we all know. But the highlight for me is "Someone to Watch Over Me". Already one of my absolute favorites in the Gershwin songbook, Brian's hauntingly gorgeous arrangement takes it to a whole new place. It's like hearing it for the first time. "Nothing But Love" kicks despite the weak title--dig the flying harmonies and cheezy "15 Big Ones" organ.

All together a wonderful album, even with some minor flaws. It'll be spinning for quite a while. And it excites me as to what Brian might do next.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:45:07 PM by slothrop » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »

Nicely stated slothrop!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »

#1 Jazz album on Billboard.

Congrats on your first #1 album, Brian.

Seconded. It's time the reign of terror by Buble and Krall ends. The world needs Brian Wilson now. BWRG will soon bring the Middle-East conflict to an end. I am told that Netenhayu and Abbas play the thing continually, to support the peace process.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:20 AM »

Hit's Daily Double has Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin dropping from #31 last week to #49 this week. Billboard had the album at #26 last week. We should know by tomorrow where it is this week. If it's still in the top 50, that's a small drop.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:12:04 AM by Jay Morgan » Logged

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:33 AM »

Hit's Daily Double has Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin dropping from #31 last week to #49 this week. Billboard had the album at #26 last week. We should know by tomorrow where it is this week. If it's still in the top 50, that's a small drop.

I would not worry too much. I think BWRG is a 'sleeper' album. People usually pick these up by accident, for instance when they're with friends and something quiet and euphonic is put in the player, after an evening of Wishbone Ash.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx