gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:56:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Teardrops On My Bed” (aka “Drip Drop”)  (Read 32176 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »

edit

yikes...I just responded with a warning to a post I already gave a warning to several months ago.

I need to go to bed LOL
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:53:54 AM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2012, 03:19:16 AM »

I'd never heard of this until just now. Surely it's a case of Brian being terrible on purpose, by way of announcing he's is no state to take on production responsibilities as required by the CBS contract. Which reminds me of something I've often wondered about. Does anybody know what was on the demo tape which caused Walter Yetnikoff to say "gentlemen, I think I have been f**ked"?

I thought he turned up to a session and saw the general decrepitude of what was going down. I hope it was this session.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »

You just never know what was up with BW.  He sounds whacked out of his skull.  It's both humorous...but deeply disturbing.  What is sad is that this was a man who clearly needed mental help...but was not getting it (or not getting what he needed).  I've struggled with my own battle with mental illness for many years (different from Brian's, but disabilitating in it's own way) and it's amazing what the right kind of help can accomplish.  For whatever reason...he simply did not receive the care he needed...and now who knows what kind of damage has been done.  It's such a shame.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

I'd never heard of this until just now. Surely it's a case of Brian being terrible on purpose, by way of announcing he's is no state to take on production responsibilities as required by the CBS contract. Which reminds me of something I've often wondered about. Does anybody know what was on the demo tape which caused Walter Yetnikoff to say "gentlemen, I think I have been f**ked"?

I thought he turned up to a session and saw the general decrepitude of what was going down. I hope it was this session.

Actually I'm pretty sure he said something if this nature after the group (including Brian) presented him recordings of "California Feelin'", "Brian's Back", "Calendar Girl", "Baby Blue", "Looking Down The Coast/Monterrey" and "Santa Ana Winds".* Honestly not a horrible set of songs. Definitely not their best, but "Baby Blue" is a classic and the 1978 "California Feelin'", while plodding, is a decent attempt at recording a good song. Apparently Brian's original "Calendar Girl" was quite original and interesting, too. As far as Al's songs, well...they're alright. And "Brian's Back" was schlocky, but Mike Love has done much worse.

So while I can see where the dude was coming from, if he was in tune with The Beach Boys as they currently were, I don't see why he would be so surprised. However, if he was expecting "I Get Around" or "California Girls" or Pet Sounds, I can see why he was so perturbed.

*Credit given to AGD and his Bellagio site.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »

Man, imagine if that came out instead of 15 Big Ones!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »

I personally would've liked it better than LA Light, which IMHO was boring as f***.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »

LOL what the hell is going on on the first page of this thread??
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »

when you bold a P or and M the board censoring thing automatically turns it into those phrases.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:44 AM »

I wonder how long this recording actually is? It cuts in abruptly, and fades out. Was it all done "live" in the studio? Or was this more of a session where overdubs were made?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

I get the feeling it was just Brian cutting loose.  It probably went on and on with much the same content.  The guy wasn't in a good place during this period.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

What bothers me is that people think Brian was high on cocaine. As he made clear in some interviews at the time, he just had a nasty habit of drinking too much coffee sometimes.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »

What bothers me is that people think Brian was high on cocaine. As he made clear in some interviews at the time, he just had a nasty habit of drinking too much coffee sometimes.

I have that habit, too.   Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx