gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:20:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165697 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #425 on: April 02, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »

The intro to Hard Times.... they made a big mistake not releasing it in any way.

Anyone else feel that Hard Times should have been the lead single from Holland instead of Sail On Sailor?
Nicko1234
« Reply #426 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »

The intro to Hard Times.... they made a big mistake not releasing it in any way.

Anyone else feel that Hard Times should have been the lead single from Holland instead of Sail On Sailor?

Only if their aim was commercial implosion.  Wink
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »

"What Love Can Do" - Brian, Burt and Phil.  What a team.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

"In the Parkin' Lot" - the harmonies during "She's turnin' on the radio dial/We can sit and listen for a while"... scintillating!  Shocked

And the way that chromatic melody asserts itself again at the end of the guitar solo -- one of those magical Brian Wilson "shouldn't work there but somehow it does" moments!   3D

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »

"Keep An Eye On Summer"----that gorgeous swooping falsetto line, which seems to be saying summer won't last for ever. (A bit like the minor chord at the word "long" in "All Summer Long".) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 10, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »

The bass synths coming over my big speakers in "I'll Bet He's Nice" - such brilliance.

Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »

"My solution", 1:30 to 1:50...otherworldly. Reminds me a lot of Robert Wyatt's "The Age Of Self", especialy the chorus. Great song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPRHqptlVU
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 11, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

"Summer's Gone..." the section that begins at 2:17 and runs to about 2:50.  Sublime, chokes me up every time I hear it.  And with some trademark odd Brian Wilson chord changes ala Warmth of the Sun.  Sounds like it's the last musically harmonic moment, the band doing one last amazing layered vocal gem, one last nod to 1965, before fading away.  Powerful and emotional. For me, this is right up there with the start of the second verse of Wouldn't It Be Nice, when the background vocals kick in... achingly beautiful yet such power.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »

"My solution", 1:30 to 1:50...otherworldly. Reminds me a lot of Robert Wyatt's "The Age Of Self", especialy the chorus. Great song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWPRHqptlVU

Totally!! One of the most uncommercial BB/BW tracks ever and I absolutely love it! Gotta love him laughing at the end and saying "play it"!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »

Once in a long time, I played "Christmasey" from "WIRWFC". Difference between 'then' & 'now' is uncanny! Can't believe I wasn't fond of it, it is a stellar performance. Brian's in a good fit there, it really shows he had fun singing the tune. Cool fact that he wrote it in a new Millennium. Magic still intact.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2014, 01:46:35 AM »

The guitars on "Airplane" from "The Beach Boys Love You". (I assume this is a Carl Wilson addition during his stint as "Mixdown Producer" for the album, yes?)

Overdriven power chords panned hard left and pulled down just so that they blend into the track with ease. Only The Beach Boys could make such a guitar sound still seem somehow pristine. (Come to think of it, there's a lot of guitar padding in the nooks and crannies of the entire album, but the one on "Airplane" really gets me.)
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:55 AM »

Found this nice fan video on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDiwoACJ2Q

This is definitely kicking my ass right now...thanks Brian for writing this song  Smiley

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »

thanks Brian for writing this song  Smiley
You forgot, "And thanks Al/Mike singing it" (don't include Brian because those 2 stole the show, esp. Al).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

You forgot, "And thanks Al/Mike singing it" (don't include Brian because those 2 stole the show, esp. Al).

Yes, you're right  Smiley

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 04, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »

I'm not hearing Mike's voice.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »

2:46 - "ba da da" section...I do believe.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 02, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »

Murry's "Italia".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:18:24 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

The new Keep an Eye on Summer release of rarities.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

The whole bassline to I'm Going Your Way. Still amazes me that the song never got an official release.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #444 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »

thanks Brian for writing this song  Smiley

2:46 - "ba da da" section...I do believe.

Someone help me out here, as this makes no sense to me...are we speaking about the recording that played with the link - From There to Back Again?  Brian was the composer/producer/arranger.  No composer/producer/arranger, no song, so a thank you to him seems appropriate...Then, obviously, Al is on lead and there are stunning harmonies - yep very grateful for those amazing arrangements and performances.  Then Brian does an important vocal - very nice, thanks to him again.  Then Mike does the ba-da-da bass thing nicely - yep thanks - until the very last part when it appears he's either doubled, it's somebody else or simply some technology as it blends into the harmonies.  Al does a stunning lead, without question.  How is this an Al/Mike accomplishment without Brian, or did I mis-read this?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:23:10 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »

New stereo KAEOS version of All Dressed Up For School. The whole damn thing. What a jam that song is.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 08, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »

Brian screwing up the marimba intro in the KAEOS All Summer Long session.  LOL

"I hate this song."

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »

The vocal blend rehearsal at the two minute mark of the KAEOS acappella version of Wendy. Incredible that they could just harmonise like that in an instant.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »

Someone help me out here, as this makes no sense to me...are we speaking about the recording that played with the link - From There to Back Again?  Brian was the composer/producer/arranger.  No composer/producer/arranger, no song, so a thank you to him seems appropriate...Then, obviously, Al is on lead and there are stunning harmonies - yep very grateful for those amazing arrangements and performances.  Then Brian does an important vocal - very nice, thanks to him again.  Then Mike does the ba-da-da bass thing nicely - yep thanks - until the very last part when it appears he's either doubled, it's somebody else or simply some technology as it blends into the harmonies.  Al does a stunning lead, without question.  How is this an Al/Mike accomplishment without Brian, or did I mis-read this?
Yes, you did. schiaffino thanked Brian for writing a song, to which I nodded, hence my "You forgot to thank Al & Mike", as to continuing his message. In other words, I narrowed the subject down to vocals. Or rather, which "specific moments" I liked more on "From There to Back Again". Tastes differ, & mine is I find Brian's part lesser to Al & Mike's. Short it may be,  the "babada" line gave needed edge to the song & was perfect closing along with whistling. Your mileage may vary.

blossomworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 09, 2014, 06:57:34 AM »

The part right after the verse in the Smile Sessions version of Wind Chimes.
The opening string instrument chord right at the beginning of Marcella (what is that instrument?)
The backing vocals in the second verse of California Girls.

Wouldn't it be nice
If
PhDs
Were strokin' me with hypotheses
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx