gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:54:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165702 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

hey have any of you guys had your baby mother/wife play the beach boys next to her tummy so they baby can listen too?
my mother played the beatles everyday when i was inside her tummy and as a result i became a beatle maniac!

I sang "God Only Knows" and "Surfer Girl" against my wife's belly when my daughter was in there Smiley

She's 2 1/2 now and I sing "Surfer Girl" to her just about every single night as she's falling asleep.  One night a few months ago she started singing it back...that's what it's all about right there...I don't mind telling you, I got pretty choked up hearing her sing it with me.
that is a beautiful story seriously Smiley one day if i ever have a child i will make sure i do the same (not the same song but definitely play it cuz i cnt sing at all lmao)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2012, 02:13:44 AM »

Sound Of Free. They should reissue this sh*t already.

If EMI/Capitol need a quick fix record store day product, just issue this 45 again. No kidding.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2012, 03:33:16 AM »

By now the synths on Palisades Park, Brian and Carl's duet on Just Once In My Life AND the In The Still of the Night harmonies. They're friggin' ear-catching!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »

All of Baby Blue is kicking my ass right now.  I am totally hit or miss on Dennis songs, but this one is just so good.  I've probably listened to it 20+ times today.
Paulos
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

Sound Of Free. They should reissue this sh*t already.

If EMI/Capitol need a quick fix record store day product, just issue this 45 again. No kidding.

Hypehat, that is a great idea! Remaster it and give us a Record Store Day treat, if they did this the only problem for me would be that there are barely any independent record stores left in the West Midlands.
Paulos
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

that cling sound when the beat slows down and before carl says "i love you" on please let me wonder...omg it gives me goosebumps Smiley so beautiful it can make you cry..

That's Brian who says 'I love you', not Carl.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

All of Baby Blue is kicking my ass right now.  I am totally hit or miss on Dennis songs, but this one is just so good.  I've probably listened to it 20+ times today.

x1,000,000

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

sary 2k3
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »

"This Whole World" - The bridge (?) with the the falsetto "woo-ooo-oo-oo's". It's ethereal, to an almost over-the-top degree.

"I Can Hear Music" - The first few lines of the song that Carl sings, especially when he sings "This is the way", and the "oh-ooh-whoa's" that he hits in the first and second verse. Finally, the "Ahhhhhh-ooooh" (I don't really know how to better write that one out) by Carl at the end of bridge/vocal breakdown. It makes me melt, every time.

Oh, and "Feel Flows" - there's something so mesmerizing about the melody of the verse. The way that it starts so low and works its way up always draws me in.
PrettyFunkyFan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »

The queen in Copenhagee!
The dream of Amsterdamee!
The cream of gay Parisee!
The theme of U Say Asee!
The scene in Great Britainyee!
The meaning in Los Angees!
The heat in Tokyosee!
The treat in Manhattohsee!

Love that Funky Pretty!  Afro

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »

"This Whole World" - The bridge (?) with the the falsetto "woo-ooo-oo-oo's". It's ethereal, to an almost over-the-top degree.

"I Can Hear Music" - The first few lines of the song that Carl sings, especially when he sings "This is the way", and the "oh-ooh-whoa's" that he hits in the first and second verse. Finally, the "Ahhhhhh-ooooh" (I don't really know how to better write that one out) by Carl at the end of bridge/vocal breakdown. It makes me melt, every time.

These two always get me too.  Good stuff.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »

Brace yourselves, long list here  Grin

The "bom dit dit" in This Whole World

Brian and Mike's vocals on Kiss Me, Baby, they just sound perfect together!

The From There to Back Again/Pacific Coast Highway/Summer's Gone suite, great vocals, music, and lyrics

Surf's Up in its entirety (1971 album version, Brian's solo version, and 1967 piano demo are all just  Shocked)

Brian's vocals on We'll Run Away, that "anyhow" towards the end is like....woahhh

I Just Wasn't Made for These Times in its entirety, the part that stuck out for me was "sometimes I feel very sad..."

The vocal blend on 'Til I Die

Brian's vocals on Please Let Me Wonder, just beautiful

Carl's vocals on I Can Hear Music are great too along with the acapella break

Good Vibrations, the organ, Carl's lead, the bassline, classic pocket symphony

Carl singing the second verse of California Dreamin', I replayed the song several times just to hear his part!

Shortening Bread, strange one but I can't seem to get it out of my head!

The "bring back" part on Daybreak Over the Ocean

Dennis's vocals on Cuddle Up, "The night has come..." the piano is also beautiful

Carl on God Only Knows, just classic, the instrumentation also caught my attention, especially the percussion

Bruce's vocals on She Believes in Love Again

Dennis's vocals on Little Girl (You're My Miss America) and the "sha la la..." part

"I-I'm so young" on I'm So Young, Brian knocks it out of the park!

The synths on Love You, I can just picture Brian banging on those keys like crazy!

Mike's sax solo on Shut Down, simple but adds to the song

The bicycle bell on Strange World

The vocal trade-off on Isn't It Time

The chorus of That's Why God Made the Radio, the harmonies are just stunning!

The intro of California Girls

Brian's vocals in Hushabye "Hushabye, hushabye/Oh my darlin', don't you cry..."

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »

He's A Doll.

That little dumb guitar riff going all the way through is AMAZING

musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »

My pointless list continues

"Won't last forever..." on Winds of Change

The piano intro and "goodbye" on Pacific Coast Highway

"Columnated ruins dominooooos!"

Carl's vocals on Girl Don't Tell Me

The bass on Lonely Days

The "ooooooohhhh" of You Still Believe in Me

Brian's vocals on Wouldn't it Be Nice

The lyrics of 'Til I Die

Brian's vocals and use of reverb on Beginning of the End

Carl's vocals on Seasons of the Sun

Mike's bass vocals at the end of From There to Back Again

Carl's throaty yell at the beginning of Let Us Go on This Way

Carl's vocals on Wonderful

Dennis's vocals on Do You Wanna Dance

Al's vocals on Then I Kissed Her

Brian's vocals on Why Do Fools Fall in Love

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »

I can't get Long Promised Road out of my head!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

She Knows Me Too Well, and its sessions. Superb song, pin-sharp production - to me, the best track on Today!
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »

During the recent concerts, Al's tweaking of the lyrics to IJWMFTT to say "I guess he just wasn't made for these times."  I get chills every time I hear it.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »

The way Carl sings "music is like a com-pan-yonne" on Add Some Music has been kickin' it for several days now...has done so before...will surely do so again....
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »

The chorus of IJWMFTT

Things become absolutely overwhelming there, so many parts swirl around, so many voices, that the listener can no longer distinguish any of it. First, that lonely opening voice begins: "Sometimes I Feel Very Sad...Sometimes I Feel Very Sad" again and again as other parts join in one by one. Nothing is certain anymore, not the key, not the melody, not the orchestration, not even fate seems to hold sway here. So briefly, so beautifully, happiness seems possible some day as before the singer can even get out his first word, another voice is there bedding down his sorrows on blue green beds of plashing comfort. "Cuando Sere? Un Dia Sere.", When will it be? One day it will be. Multiple voices all joining together in sympathetic reassurances, horizontally that first voice trailing off just behind in desperate pursuit.
"Ain't Found The Right Thing I Can Put My Heart And Soul Into.", appears next, and finally in Brian's otherwordly falsetto, just at the very end "People I Know Don't Know Me" rounds of chorus. If I were a Freudian, which really I'm not, I'd say this single section is a perfect psychological microcosm of Brian Wilson's mind. The id (1), the ego (3), and the (4) super-ego all grasping for control inside the singer. But certainly there's no truth to that sort of notion...

This part is so superbly transcendental, and for just one moment, one pure, perfect, instantaneously evaporating moment, it's as if a doorway in the sky has opened, a doorway into each of our own souls, where the entire structure of existence seems to be laid bare. The euphony here is just truly sublime, upright piano jitters anxiously underneath in the instruments, the basses throb in musical ecstasy, temple blocks sound lucidly some great spiritual mystery. And in the end, in that one final line, it just all comes together, and that confusion, that overwhelming uncertainty that things started out mired in, falls away, annihilated by some overpowering supernatural beauty.

But in a flash, it's all over, everything falls apart anew and starts again. That one perfect moment must have just been too much, too much to withstand. The singer just isn't strong enough yet to keep his grip..."I Guess I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"...he laments disappointed,  and exhausted.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »

The Endless Harmony version of 'Till I Die. For an off the cuff mix, I can hear the pain and sadness in every note more than the
Surfs Up version.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »

The chorus of IJWMFTT

This part is so superbly transcendental, and for just one moment, one pure, perfect, instantaneously evaporating moment, it's as if a doorway in the sky has opened, a doorway into each of our own souls, where the entire structure of existence seems to be laid bare. The euphony here is just truly sublime, upright piano jitters anxiously underneath in the instruments, the basses throb in musical ecstasy, temple blocks sound lucidly some great spiritual mystery. And in the end, in that one final line, it just all comes together, and that confusion, that overwhelming uncertainty that things started out mired in, falls away, annihilated by some overpowering supernatural beauty.

All true, and that's a fine example of the metaphysical language that BW's finest work so often evokes. But surely it wouldn't make sense musically (or metaphyscially) to end with such an ecstatic moment: a lamentation must remain true to its own sense of limitation. The song's "siren sound"--the theremin--is surely what propelled Brian on his most exhilirating (and calamitous) journey of self-discovery shortly thereafter, as he found a way to capture another, more elaborate cycle of exaltation and despair and encapsulate it in a single composition--a visceral-yet-metaphysical mosaic called "Good Vibrations."

It's the mournful downturn (musically, usually rendered in diminution) after either the vision (or glimpse) of ecstasy that gives both of these tracks their boundless depth and eternal, ethereal beauty, each one a lamentation of the need to return to earth from a vision of celestial radiance. The coda of "GV" seems to sum this up by allowing the voices to fly free, but notice that the last notes sung are descending as they give way to the anchoring closure of the rhythm section as the song puts its flaps down for landing.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »

Currently, there are two moments in Wouldn't it Be Nice.

1. "after having"
2. Frank Capp/Tympani (in the privacy of my bedroom: air tympani  Grin )
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:15:22 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »

The pure rock'n'roll sound of the guitars from In Concert during Marcella, and how fantastic that intro to the song is.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

The triumphant outro of Cabin Essence..

"Over and over,
The crow cries uncover the cornfield.
Over and over,
The thresher and hover the wheat field."
ThunderRyan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

That opening harmony in Deirdre. Pure magic.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

The group harmonies that lead into " Dawn, bird's still gone" in "Little Bird"

Glorious. I love the Friends era

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx