gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:03:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165872 times)
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »

THE LONELY SEA. The chord progression is so soothing. I'm surprised way more artists haven't used it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »

2:26 in Summer's Gone when Brian sings "another summer gone"

One of the best vocals I've heard from Brian.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Digory Kirke
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

God, the Mark Linett mix of Fallin' in Love, especially when the acoustic guitar kicks in. 
Arturo Bandini
Smiley Smile Associate

"If you live with wolves you will learn to howl."

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »

2 moments for me, had a long drive back from North Carolina so I played plenty of Beach Boys

1. "Love is woman, so tell her she smells good tonight! and then BW's voice not being able to carry the next "Love"
2. Our Prayer Dialog, the direction that Brian gives (which Love asks for) and then asking the group "You feeling the acid yet?"
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

I hadn't listened to Dennis' "Tug Of Love" much before. As soon as I pressed play, those first chords - right up to where Dennis starts singing, I could have sworn I was listening to a Cocteau Twins track. But what kills me is the juxtaposition of a Mike Love-style bass vocal line in the chorus, cutting right in on the pre-shoegaze vibe. And then that part just before the fade!

Good call, Cbm. A bit more over the top on the guitar effects and you've got "Whale Tales," "Bluebeard" or "Wolf in the Breast."

Ever heard this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IleS6R_ovEE
My fave Chinese singer.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »

that cling sound when the beat slows down and before carl says "i love you" on please let me wonder...omg it gives me goosebumps Smiley so beautiful it can make you cry..
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

All of PCH.

It's really bugging me. PCH? My minds gone blank. What's the song please?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

All of PCH.

It's really bugging me. PCH? My minds gone blank. What's the song please?

Pacific Coast Highway

ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

The fade on Goin On
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »

A few that are really sticking with me right now:

1. The part on "From there to back again" where Al sings "The clouds are breakin' it's a beautiful day."  The way the whole track moves there under his strong vocal just floors me for about 5 seconds...I love it.

2. All of "Pacific Coast Highway."  By far my favorite song on the new album.  The "Goodbye" gives me chills and makes me pretty emotional every time I hear it.

3. "The Night was So Young" I guess it's the chorus...when Carl sings "won't somebody tell me why she has to LIE IE IE"  Love it. 

4. "California Feeling" from Al's album...lately I guess I'm a sucker for strong, high vocals from Al, but I really love last verse of this version, where he sings about eating a grapefruit, etc....great background vocals on this song too....this, with Al singing it, should be on the next album, I think.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

lately I guess I'm a sucker for strong, high vocals from Al

Same here! Al's voice is the most authentically original thing going for the BB's right now. Not to take away from the others.

My favorite moment.. the key change in Be True To Your School. I think it's so genius how Brian found the perfect note to hold out while switching keys. Such an awesome moment. Brian at a very creative point there.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

A few that are really sticking with me right now:

1. The part on "From there to back again" where Al sings "The clouds are breakin' it's a beautiful day."  The way the whole track moves there under his strong vocal just floors me for about 5 seconds...I love it.

2. All of "Pacific Coast Highway."  By far my favorite song on the new album.  The "Goodbye" gives me chills and makes me pretty emotional every time I hear it.

3. "The Night was So Young" I guess it's the chorus...when Carl sings "won't somebody tell me why she has to LIE IE IE"  Love it. 

4. "California Feeling" from Al's album...lately I guess I'm a sucker for strong, high vocals from Al, but I really love last verse of this version, where he sings about eating a grapefruit, etc....great background vocals on this song too....this, with Al singing it, should be on the next album, I think.
"on this summers day there is nowhere else i'd rather be" Smiley i love when al sings that part..
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »

My 2-year-old daughter was just trying to sing along to Our Prayer, so that is kicking my ass right now.  Smiley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »

The piano chord changes in the beginning of Pacific Coast Highway and the beautiful guitar work on Summer's Gone.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »

Summers Gone, the very last word when Brian sings yesterday and (I think Mike) repeats it quietly after Brian. Even if that is not Mike, and I think it is, (can anyone verify?) it is an unbelievable way to end the last word on what may be their last album. If it is Mike, it makes it even more touching due to the history and such. I originally gave the record 7/10 but I had not heard it at home on a decent system and after another listen or two it's more like 8.5/10 for sure.

For the guy that said his 2 year old was singing along to Our Prayer, I know what you mean. My 4 year old daughter was DANCING to several tracks while I played the new record today. She likes the Beach Boys and it has nothing to do with me. I can site numerous instances since she came along where she has shown a connection if The Beach Boys are on in the car or house. It really brings things full circle and leaves me amazed.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: June 16, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

Summers Gone, the very last word when Brian sings yesterday and (I think Mike) repeats it quietly after Brian. Even if that is not Mike, and I think it is, (can anyone verify?) it is an unbelievable way to end the last word on what may be their last album. If it is Mike, it makes it even more touching due to the history and such. I originally gave the record 7/10 but I had not heard it at home on a decent system and after another listen or two it's more like 8.5/10 for sure.

For the guy that said his 2 year old was singing along to Our Prayer, I know what you mean. My 4 year old daughter was DANCING to several tracks while I played the new record today. She likes the Beach Boys and it has nothing to do with me. I can site numerous instances since she came along where she has shown a connection if The Beach Boys are on in the car or house. It really brings things full circle and leaves me amazed.

It's Mike. And I think he does the same thing at the part "I'm thinking maybe I'll just stay"

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »

Dont Worry Babby and the.end of Surfs Up. Jezus howd anybody figure out how to make that stuff exist¡¿¡¿¡
Hehehe... babby.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/BUFg4AYaP3hn47x70CGs8Sfd_500.jpg

A discipline daddy.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 16, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »

Stuff like that is just awesome.  My 5-year-old one day started singing Vega-Tables and I about died laughing.  It was so unexpected.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 16, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »

that beautiful fade out and melody at the end "this whole world" Smiley
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 17, 2012, 03:27:36 AM »

My 2-year-old daughter was just trying to sing along to Our Prayer, so that is kicking my ass right now.  Smiley

Good taste she's got!!!! Start em early  Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »

The Surfer Girl 1967 'rehearsal' from the Good Vibrations box. So beautiful.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »

hey have any of you guys had your baby mother/wife play the beach boys next to her tummy so they baby can listen too?
my mother played the beatles everyday when i was inside her tummy and as a result i became a beatle maniac!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

Since we're telling cute kid stories, my daughter was a tough baby- she hated to sleep!  Honestly, the only thing that could really calm her down was rocking her while listening to the Beach Boys.  She's now nearly four and still into them (faves at the moment are Do You Wanna Dance and Surfer Girl), though she likes just about anything musical. 
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »

hey have any of you guys had your baby mother/wife play the beach boys next to her tummy so they baby can listen too?
my mother played the beatles everyday when i was inside her tummy and as a result i became a beatle maniac!

I sang "God Only Knows" and "Surfer Girl" against my wife's belly when my daughter was in there Smiley

She's 2 1/2 now and I sing "Surfer Girl" to her just about every single night as she's falling asleep.  One night a few months ago she started singing it back...that's what it's all about right there...I don't mind telling you, I got pretty choked up hearing her sing it with me.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »

Middle eight of Some of Your Love

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx