gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:35:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164785 times)
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »

The "sometimes, i feel very sad" part of I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

A broken man too tough to cry
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

The "da, da da da da" part on the SMiLE version of Wonderful, right at the "Father down, the path was a mystery" verse.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »

The background vocals under "and when I go anywhere I see love" on "This Whole World." Amazing.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2010, 03:14:39 AM »

The part in "We'll Run Away" where Brian sings "anyhowwww" so beautifully twisted and going into a heavenly kind of modulation, at roughly 1:44 in the song.

Gives me chills, as do the chord changes happening at this part... so quickly do these brilliant changes go by, and you just want to hear them again right away.

Magical part on a really underrated song, and a superb BW vocal overall.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »

*strained falsetto* STARTED A CHAIN-CH-CHAIN REACTION! STARTED A CHAIN-CH-CHAIN REACTION! STARTED A CHAIN-CH-CHAIN REACTION OF LOVE!

I just realised i revived this thread last time.... with the same song  LOL Why on earth they haven't used this is beyond me. It'd be a million and two seller, i swear.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:11:02 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

I've got the instrumental to 'California Girls' blasting from my stereo system right now. This is unreal.

"listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - That Lester Bangs quote sums up this song perfectly.

I love the Summer Days version, but this instrumental blows me away every time I listen to it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »

I've got the instrumental to 'California Girls' blasting from my stereo system right now. This is unreal.

"listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - That Lester Bangs quote sums up this song perfectly.

I love the Summer Days version, but this instrumental blows me away every time I listen to it.

I'm with you on that one.  The first time I heard that I was blown away.  That reverb during the choruses still knocks me out!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

The last section/minute of the SS/WH version of "Can't Wait Too Long"...sometimes I can just listen to it over and over  (Same with "Whistle In").
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »

I was listening to Hawthorne the other day and "Lonely Days" caught my ear. That's one snippet that I wish had been made into a two or three minute number.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »

I was listening to Hawthorne the other day and "Lonely Days" caught my ear. That's one snippet that I wish had been made into a two or three minute number.

I agree, it's a lost gem.  I did an edit repeating the existing verse & chorus, then fading on a repeated chorus, and it feels more complete.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

I've had KTSA on repeat for the past week  Cool Guy

Carl on "Livin' With A Heartache" and Mike on "Goin' On" is whats makin my heart melt right now...and kickin my ass  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »

Realizing how off of Bruce Johnston's album Goin' Public album, "Won't Somebody Dance With Me" is one hell of a creepy song. It's kicking my ass in hilarity.  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:46 AM »

The backing vocals on the booted take 12 of Slip On Through.  Grin

Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »

The string section break in the second half of Little Bird. Freakin' cool.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2011, 07:51:51 AM »

The string section break in the second half of Little Bird. Freakin' cool.

That part always reminded me of a song I heard when I was a child, but I can't remember what it was. I think it was from a children's show....or possibly a sing-a-long tape. Either way, gotta agree that it's freakin cool.  Cool

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »

"Be here and make my life FULLLLLL"

The buzzing synth that comes in at roughly 1:25 in "Passing By." 

"Let him run wild, he'll find out" (something about the way he sings "find out")

The backing vocals at the end of "Breakaway."

The "na na na"s on "Little Bird."

"Is somebody gonna tell me why she has to hi-yi-yiiide?" from "The Night Was So Young"

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »

I got more.  Man, this is a great topic.

"kiss a little bit, fight a little bit. WHOA, BABY..."  from Kiss Me, Baby chorus

the driving guitar and theramin at the end of GV

the flute jam in Feel Flows

a cappella break in I Can Hear Music

a whole bunch more, but I gotta run now.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »

I have had "We'll Run Away" stuck in my head for 3 or 4 days now. Can't get the thing out. Shocked
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »

I've really been into Stevie lately.

Stevie just might be Brian's best unreleased song (not counting anything to do with Smile.)
I love the lyrics and the melody.

BTW, if this was during the hamburger/coke sessions, I'm really surprised [Brian or Denny] had session musicians (horn players)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

I have had "We'll Run Away" stuck in my head for 3 or 4 days now. Can't get the thing out. Shocked

Great tune that one - Brian really sang the hell out of it.  His leads during that '64-'65 era were just out of this world.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »

pat pat pat pat her on her butt butt
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »

pat pat pat pat her on her butt butt

LOL
_____

Another ass-kicking moment: Dennis singing "the sun in her hair, the warmth of the air" in 'Girls On The Beach' - friggin' awesome.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

I've really been into Stevie lately.

Stevie just might be Brian's best unreleased song (not counting anything to do with Smile.)
I love the lyrics and the melody.
Absolutely. I also think it's his best unreleased song. I LOVE the little "bah, bah bah bah" riff right at the end of the chorus. I hope you get where I mean. Talking about riffs anf harmonies in Beach Boys songs is often difficult in messageboards.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »

I just now listened to the complete version of Mona Kani. For some reason, I had always shut it off after a few seconds of the intro. Holy hell, talk about an ass kicking moment!  Grin

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »

Dennis singing Bruce Johnston's part at the end of "God Only Knows" from the 1972 Carnegie show.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx