gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:02:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164774 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »

(Hi. New guy here. This seemed like a good thread to start with.)

I'm going with 1:41-2:14 of "Good Vibrations," right after the second chorus. Can't help but air-sleighbell there.  LOL

Oh my god, this. That part is just sheer sonic perfection - Such a dense, luscious wall of sound. Every single live version gets it wrong too, as they tone it down (especially Brian's band). That should be the time to start BRINGING THE NOISE!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »

Strings that pop up for a couple of seconds in the bridge of "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

The "na, na na na na" bit in the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 10:30:31 PM »

Blueberry Hill

Originally, I wasn't a huge fan of this cut, used to be one of my least favorite covers the BB had to offer, but recently, from multiple re-listens, I think it to be more a great Spector imitation...I love the percussion, did Dennis play it on that one or was that Hal?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »

Just Once in Life, instrumental cut...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 06:40:20 AM »

'I miss the way I used to call the shots around here'

I recall that Brian once said that he didn't write that line himself and that he didn't like it, but it always gives me goosebumps.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 06:42:58 AM »

The "na, na na na na" bit in the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful.

I LOOOOOVE that part. Probably the most moving part of the album, imo. I mixed a version of 'Surf's Up' on a whim with the 'na na na na' as the fade out, sounded interesting.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »

My pick? The Trader, 2nd verse when those soaring harmonies kick in and the hi-hat starts making that swishing sound. This is one of those 'screw the neighbours I'm cranking up the volume' moments if ever there was one!!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:17 AM »

Angry Can anyone explain to me why my post has been taken off Huh I posted something on here last week, and now it's gone.

Ted

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »

Angry Can anyone explain to me why my post has been taken off Huh I posted something on here last week, and now it's gone.

Ted

I believe the board switched webhosts or something, about 24 hours worth of posts got lost.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »

Ted

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8925.msg151917.html#msg151917

It wasn't you fault, Ted. Read this topic if you will, and you'll understand that due to a switch to new webhost quite a few posts of that day got lost. Our apologies you post got lost as well, it wasn't intended to happen.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 04:16:01 AM »

Our Prayer kicks ass!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 04:57:42 AM »

'I miss the way I used to call the shots around here'

I recall that Brian once said that he didn't write that line himself and that he didn't like it, but it always gives me goosebumps.

I know what  you mean about this line; especially when I was listening to a show, I think it was live somewhere in Europe during the Pet Sounds tour where Brian was performing a lot of rarities, but when I heard this song, I remember Jeff F. sang that line and it threw me back to Brian in the studio, though it was Jeff who sang it, his falsetto made it mean so much.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »

Baby! Don't be afraid to call....   A great ending to an otherwise mediocre song from the Imaginations album.

The bridge on Make a Wish

Coda of Surfs Up

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »

We'll make sweet love until the sun goes down, we'll even do more when her mama's not around...

Hey little tomboy, sit here on my lap...

Lazy Lizzie, I saw you walkin' alone...

I wanna pick you up...

All dressed up for school, what a turn on...

Wearin' a shift and it looks real good (wearin' a shift, wearin' a shift)...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »

We'll make sweet love until the sun goes down, we'll even do more when her mama's not around...

Hey little tomboy, sit here on my lap...

Lazy Lizzie, I saw you walkin' alone...

I wanna pick you up...

All dressed up for school, what a turn on...

Wearin' a shift and it looks real good (wearin' a shift, wearin' a shift)...

I've been loving the percussion on this song, there's just something about that beginning that's so special

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »

...Drip Drop...
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »

...Drip Drop...

Let's Go Mudder Fuc*ers!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

I love his little scream-y laugh near the beginning since it makes me picture Brian coming up from having just engulfed his entire face in cocaine and snorted as much as he could in the time before the next chorus and I laugh every time...

...and when he just starts saying random stuff near the middle of the song (something about his c*ck and the wall?!)...

...and I love every time he manically yells LET'S GO MOTHERFU*KRS!!!

Basically, this sort of craziness is why I love Love You, haha -- and I feel it would've benefited had it been laced with expletives as was surely the case at some point, ho ho ho.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »

The vocal bit underneath the second verse of Wouldn't It Be Nice. At least one version of Pet Sounds plays it solo after Caroline, No.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »

Yesterday I was listening to the clips of BWRGershwin on Amazon and the "S'Wonderful"
and "Summertime" clips were both in my head

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 07:26:33 AM »

Okay, so it's not Beach Boys, but the fluttering flutes in Dennis Wilson's 'Pacific Ocean Blue' are AMAZING with headphones on. And the chorus to the instrumental of 'Cabinessence'....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »

Great thread!

The first 30 seconds and last minute of "Holy Man"

The last 15 seconds of "Don't Go Near the Water"

Rio Grande from 3:57-4:17: the mandolin or whatever it is and "Whoa, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yea-ah"

The bridge on Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long

Carl's guitar solo on Long Promised Road

"Wherever she goes you know the devil dances and the gods lay down in defeat" 

"Everybody wants to live just once"

I've probably exceeded my quota, though I could certainly go on.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
mtaber
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »

The bridge of "Sweet Sunday Kind of Love"...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »

Just remembered my favorite. The 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" at the end of GV just before the chorus kicks in again. To me, that may be the defining moment for the band.

I always turn the radio all the way up, just for a second, right after that... becuase if you do, you can hear the reverb of all of their voices echoing in the silence.  It sounds like just complete silence, but if you turn it way up, you can hear this really HEAVY echo from what they just sang, it's fucking incredible.  I mean INCREDIBLE, try it next time you hear it... just be sure to turn it right back down or it'll blow your speakers when the music comes back in, lol.   You've heard it enough, you can time it right Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx