gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:05:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165803 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »

Wake the World and Old Man River.

yeah right on - have really been into old man river lately

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »

San Miguel! Been listening to it on repeat a lot for the past couple days.

I hear that!  It runs thru my brain every couple of days, when I least expect it.  Don't know why, tho.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »

Long time follower of this site and first post ever,couldn't resist... My musical moment right now has to be on I'm So Young. At the 10 second mark when the bass and vocals kick in immediately after  "she says I'm her only one"  I just have to play it over and over.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »

That moment of cavernous echo just after the first chorus of the acapella 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times'.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »

The multiple saxes at the end of Lay Down Burden

The moment you drop off the cliff in Good Vibrations

The vocal tag on This Whole World

The moment the French Horns come in on God Only Knows

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »

The reverb in the second chorus of the instrumental track to "California Girls."

The horns in California Girls

Cheers

Richard
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »

Friends, Friends, and even more Friends...

Specifically? The bass arrangements and the organ...is there a simple slide guitar line in BHTM? Also, great bells throughout...
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »

Such a hard, but good question! Had to comment on this one! For me it has to be the harmonies on Time to Get Alone, more specifically the end of the alternative version. But saying that, there are so many moments in so many of their songs that have the same effect!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »

The reverb in the second chorus of the instrumental track to "California Girls."

The horns in California Girls

Everything about California Girls  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »

Hal Blaine is a F#$%ing genius for those drums in 'California Girls' - listen to the drums on the outro!! Utterly Jaw-dropping. This song is the greatest thing that has ever happened to this world.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

We'll Run Away

This song is just plain beautiful.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
southisland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

"i'm glad i went, now i'm that much more sure that we're ready."

chills at this moment, without fail.

the ethereal guitar chords on CIFOTM are destroying me lately too.

well oh my oh gosh oh gee
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »

Today I put on my really crappy ipod headphones and blasted 'California Girls' and I've never heard it sound so good. I have a decent stereo system, studio monitor headphones, but for some reason my garbage ipod headphones made this song sound like pure gold. It blew my mind it sounded so good.

I guess since Brian was following Spector's 'Wall of Sound' idea (which was meant to be heard from garbage speakers, right?) it makes sense that it would really translate well to junk headphones.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »

Currently digging MC Love`s mad rapping skills in Summer of Love...Yo, he blows Puffy, Biggie, Snoop, Dre, Eminem, Fiddy, LL Cool J, Cube, Ice T, Vanilla Ice, Hammer, and his Smart Girl-loving cuz out of the water. Fo sho! LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »

The ultra surf guitar solo on early version of Do It Again from Endless Harmony. It's missing Drums. But, even in this incarnation, this early version proves do it again is a B.B./M.L. classic.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:38 AM »

The "come and do it baby" just before the outro in Do It Again. Short, simple but essential.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

Friends, Friends, and even more Friends...

Specifically? The bass arrangements and the organ...is there a simple slide guitar line in BHTM? Also, great bells throughout...

Do you like the acapella version on the b-side of Don't Fight The Sea? Wow, both version are on my mega B.B. playlist!
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »

The "come and do it baby" just before the outro in Do It Again. Short, simple but essential.

I love the part 2:00 in, after they sing "do it again" mike or dennis yell out this climatic owwww that's infectious. Spontaneous moments like this are what we live for in music. Legendary!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »

Right now? Then it's the synth note 3:07 in on this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6qOTEKfVw

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »

Wonderful on the Mojo 45.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »

Wonderful on the Mojo 45.

Wonderful is my favorite Beach Boys song of all time. Great choice. I love all Beach Boys versions of this song--i'll take em even Wonder-Bill
theCOD
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

The part about 52 seconds into Rollin' Up To Heaven where one of the guys starts doing his best Captain Beefheart impression.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Does anyone else here 'Let's get together and Sue It Again' on the final line of, well, guess?

I think it's cos on the early versions, Mike sings '...and Surf Again', but obviously overdubbed '...and Do It Again' on the later take which made it on the record. The early vocal being a relic from the hasty remake after they lost the tape....

Either that, or I'm prejudiced   LOL

To answer the question at hand, right now it's Sunny Down Snuff. Those hums..... BLISS

It warms my heart when my old thread gets revived  Smiley

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:51 AM »

I love the part 2:00 in, after they sing "do it again" mike or dennis yell out this climatic owwww that's infectious. Spontaneous moments like this are what we live for in music. Legendary!

That's precisely the moment I was talking about - I, too, previously thought it was a spontaneous "owww", but found out it was actually "coooome and do it baby"! IT WAS ALL PLANNED OUT!  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »

I'm loving that wailing blues guitar solo that's floating throughout Steamboat. Steamboat is one, of the many, underrated B.B. classics.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx