gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:44:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks -Song Cycle  (Read 17428 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle, released in 1968.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:14:32 PM by Billy C » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:22:36 AM »

a great album, but it's hard to explain why.

Watson, did you hear this?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »

Simply mind-bending. Explanations do seem to fall flat, but it's sad he hasn't really explored the symphonic route more in his solo work (Not that i don't mind - Discover America is possibly just as good)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

A great album thats ambitious, clever and resolutely uncommercial, Van Dyke does himself proud on this.

P.S.Please change the title of the thread to 'Song Cycle'!.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »

P.S.Please change the title of the thread to 'Song Cycle'!.
Or, failing that, maybe "Kong Cycle." Thanks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

5/5

'Song Cycle' reminds me of SMiLE....between the heavy use of instrumentals, studio effects, and abstract lyrics. However 'Song Cycle' has a MUCH darker overall feel to it.

Though darker, it still has it's beautiful moments: the bridge in 'The All Golden', or the instrumentals halfway through 'Palm Desert' - extremely revolutionary in the music world for its time - and even for today. 'Donovan's Colours' is a flipping amazing instrumental. The string arrangement in 'The Attic' is extremely beautiful...I'd love to hear the instrumental tracks of some of these songs.

The lyrics are trademark Van Dyke Parks....extremely abstract, but fun to try to decipher.

All in all, not a desert island album, but a great listen when in a creative mood.

BTW, has anyone read the '33 1/3: Song Cycle' book? If so, is it worth buying?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »

I've been lovin The All Golden...the way it's timed...it seems like there's two different beats at the same time, IDK, I'm no music major. The intro achieves a sound that sounds somewhat warped or something to that effect, and I love it!

Of course Vine Street and Palm Desert are favorites. On Palm Desert, I really enjoy the section: "I went West unto Hollywood, Juxtaposed to BBD.....", one of the best moments from the album.
Window's Walk sounds kind of like a Smiley or Wild Honey outtake.

I like the short bits a lot too like Van Dyke Parks and Laurel Canyon Blvd.

Over all, a great, overlooked, underrated album...

What genre do you consider this?
I'd like to say part psychedelic, part baroque/pop, with a slice of experimental.

What do you Smiler's think?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:50:17 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
aaktt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »

For me this album is a journey to a whole different world, another level. Bizarre and psychedelic. Using a great range of classical instruments in an atmosphere of strangeness creates an impression of perfect harmony and anxiety at the same time. One of my definite favorites.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »

I asked a guy who owns a record store if he has any vinyl copies.

He just laughed.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »

Holy sh*t... VDP was born on January 3rd?!?! HE LOOKED JUST LIKE ME ON Song Cycle's COVER TOO!!!! OMG!

ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »

Holy sh*t... VDP was born on January 3rd?!?! HE LOOKED JUST LIKE ME ON Song Cycle's COVER TOO!!!! OMG!

Child, Van dyke Parks is your father. Easy my child, it's just enough to believe.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »

It has some very clever moments but ulimately I feel like it doesn't really go anywhere.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »

Child, Van dyke Parks is your father. Easy my child, it's just enough to believe.

That might explain how i'm such a good writer.

Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:59:03 AM »

It has some very clever moments but ulimately I feel like it doesn't really go anywhere.

I'd like to hear some more from people as to what it does for them, because i too have never clicked with this.

Jump! & Orange crate Art are just fantastic, they make their own worlds, incredible arrangements, Jump! is catchy but oh so clever, uplifting a mini musical from some parallel universe. And Orange Crate Art with its recreation of a past that never was & Brian's voice becomes an iconic voice through which this amazing alternate history comes through.

but Song Cycle hasn't taken me anywhere yet.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »

Listen to "The All Golden" in a quiet, classic americana room, it's incredible.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »

Song Cycle reminds me of a certain time in my life; the sounds, the texture of the recording, the lyrics - It really reminds me of the gritty but upscale social class of the South (where I used to live). Song Cycle is like a very dark place that has jewels and beauty sprinkled throughout.

Perhaps I'll never get Van Dyke Parks true intentions with this album - but regardless I get a lot of satisfaction out of listening to it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

Great album - Van Dyke: genius.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »

I finally got a copy of this album. I love it. I don't really know how to explain the album. It's so avante garde, somewhat psychedelic, so cleverly put together, Smile-ish, very complex music. The All Golden really trips me out. Excellent and uncommercial. Classic cult album.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

Ive tried many times to get into this LP  to no avail.. Impossible for me its a jumbled mess to my ears..3/5 for I don't know I guess out of respect..
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »

I'd like to hear some more from people as to what it does for them, because i too have never clicked with this.

Jump! & Orange crate Art are just fantastic, they make their own worlds, incredible arrangements, Jump! is catchy but oh so clever, uplifting a mini musical from some parallel universe. And Orange Crate Art with its recreation of a past that never was & Brian's voice becomes an iconic voice through which this amazing alternate history comes through.

but Song Cycle hasn't taken me anywhere yet.

I have to count myself in with you fellas. I love Palm Desert, it's one of my all-time favorite songs. The rest of it is kinda boring to me. Not to downplay how creative, brave (in how uncommercial it is) and avant garde it is. It just doesn't click with me. It's not fun or particularly thought provoking to me when I listen to it.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 04:34:39 AM »

I love Palm Desert, it's one of my all-time favorite songs. The rest of it is kinda boring to me. Not to downplay how creative, brave (in how uncommercial it is) and avant garde it is. It just doesn't click with me. It's not fun or particularly thought provoking to me when I listen to it.

I've tried to like it, god how I've tried! But all I get out of it is a headache. Odd in a way, as I love OCA. Huh

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx