gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Symphonic Sounds: Music of the Beach Boys
5 - 2 (14.3%)
4 - 2 (14.3%)
3 - 3 (21.4%)
2 - 4 (28.6%)
1 - 2 (14.3%)
0 - 1 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symphonic Sounds: Music of the Beach Boys  (Read 12975 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:09 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Symphonic Sounds: Music of the Beach Boys, released 1998.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »

Found this on a blog a few days ago, after reading about it in that recent Bruce interview. Surprised no-one else appears to have heard it...

It's a really strange album. Why does it exist? Who was calling the shots? Why do they only let the orchestra play the same 10 songs over again? Which bastard decided to put Kokomo on it as the first 'track'? Can we kill the man who arranged the surf medley? And so on...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »

I've not heard it, shall I reach out to Amazon and buy it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

I've not heard it, shall I reach out to Amazon and buy it?

It's so not worth it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

damn

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »

I don't know how completist you feel, but I stole it off the internet and felt ripped off.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »

I didn't even know this album existed!  Grin
What's it like, anyway?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »

I didn't even know this album existed!  Grin
What's it like, anyway?

Not anywhere near as good as it should have been. Barely audible orchestra. Lots of Bruce. Singers you don't know singing songs you love in versions you'll hate.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

Let's put it this way, is it as good as the 20 minute medley played at the Pet Sounds Symphonic Tour?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »

2/5 Bruce"s idea.. Could have been so much better and another lost opportunity !  The orchestra medley was fine but I prefer to hear it done live in the moment.. Bruce doesn't think out of the box here and plays it safe..
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »

I'd never heard of this.

Hot damn is that one lousy album cover. Notice how whoever chucked it together couldn't even be bothered centering the text at the bottom.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

was just looking at the liner notes to this. 
the liner notes note for the song 'darlin', 'introducing Matt Jardine, Vocals'.
Musicians include Ed Carter, Mike Kowalski, Billy Hinsche, Mike Meros, Adrian Baker,
Ritchie Cannata, Dennis Dragon.
of course Bruce, Mike and Terry Melcher provide vocal tracks.
album produced by Bruce Johnston.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »

I just bought this album and enjoyed everything except for GOK. I really like the Overture. I think, for the most part, Bruce did a terrific job with this album. It's a great tribute to BW's songwriting. When I was listening to it in the car it made me wonder if this is what BW would have sounded like if he was a classical composer. Kokomo and Disney Girls are pretty cool on here. Matt Jardine sounds great on Darlin. The Surf medley is fun. I know I'll get a lot of slack for this, but for the $7 I paid for it on Amazon, I got a kick out of this CD. The Liner Notes were pretty interesting too.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »

Anyone have a digital copy of this?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx